Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I start the topic I do want to say that I am very pleased with the performance of my 05 V6. And from reading this forum I am sure the GT is awesome. Plus there is no way I would trade my Mustang for anything else.

Okay that said, let me ask - Did it seem like on Sunday's coverage of the International Auto Show that everything that was around 4.0 and 4.6 had more HP than the Mustang? Did Ford mess up by not making the engines just a little more powerful? I think they did. It doesn't seem right to have such a good looking car that reminds everyone of the Muscle Car Days that might can be outran by a soccer mom in a minivan or SUV.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You're not alone in this thinking...

I love my V6 2006 too, but the fact remains that most Japanese V6 cars will smoke our V6 4.0L's. But it gets worse...most import V6's have multi-valves, and variable valve timing too....two great features our V6's don't have.

I bought my Mustang primarily for the looks, and for the price, and I chose the V6 because it provides better gas milage then the more powerful (and fun) V8. And of course it was cheap too.

But it is what it is. Be satisfied with your V6...it is relatively under-powered, lacks refinement, and buzzess too much, but hey, it's beautiful!!!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lovcom said:
I love my V6 2006 too, but the fact remains that most Japanese V6 cars will smoke our V6 4.0L's. But it gets worse...most import V6's have multi-valves, and variable valve timing too....two great features our V6's don't have.

I bought my Mustang primarily for the looks, and for the price, and I chose the V6 because it provides better gas milage then the more powerful (and fun) V8. And of course it was cheap too.

But it is what it is. Be satisfied with your V6...it is relatively under-powered, lacks refinement, and buzzess too much, but hey, it's beautiful!!!
I do love my V6 Mustang and the looks was what made me fall in love with it.
Being a teenager in the Muscle Car Era I guess I had a mental state of mind that a car the looks like the new Mustang is just suppose to be one of the "baddest" things on the road. Then watching the auto show Sunday really surprized me as to the power other cars have. Maybe if Ford isn't going to use current technology maybe they should bring back solid lifter cams and four barrels sitting on hi-rise manifolds.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
yeah, not to start another one of those "ford should have threads" but they should have pulled a little more power out of the 4.6 and 4.0. 350 even would have been nice in the 4.6. what is the 4.0? 210? pretty weak... my wife's '02 honda odyssey minivan has a 240 hp 3.5l vtec. sucks that a minivan has more hp than a V6 stang. ford should be able to get a little more hp out of that six too...

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Mustang HP

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, for I love my Stang (I have the GT), but I have to agree, if the Mustang i shy or lacking anything, it is horse power and options. Like I said, I have a GT Vert, and I paid (with all options, wheels and such) about $40K for it. Strangely it seems to be low on options at that price. I have thought for that price it could have things that are already in Ford's parts bin, such as heated seats, heated mirrors, telescopic steering, electronic dimming mirror, automatic headlights, digital climate control and maybe offer a DVD/NAV system (instead of the Shaker 1000), all of this options are are on Ford that cost less (like the new Fusion). I also thought it could have a bit more horses under the hood. I agree it should have at least had 350 HP, I mean the Nissan Z car (V6) has 287 HP and that is only a 3.5L. The GTO came out with 350 and was bumped up to 400. The Charger/330C/Magnum has 340 with an option to get 410. If the Challenger and/or Camaro come out, they are expected to put out 400+ each. Heck, even the overweight SSR has 390, so yeah, Ford could have made it a bit more horse power. But what is really bad, I just bought a 2006 Ford Fusion (yes, a FORD) with a 3.0L V6 that puts out 221 HP :eyebulge: as my daily driver. So my little 3.0 V6 is quicker than the Mustang's 4.0L V6, and it has all the options I mentioned above (except the NAV) for far less than I paid for my Stang, so go figure. :sterb:

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
lovcom said:

Good grief, Ford did not design the V6 Mustang to have that much HP on purpose, aka insurance costs etc. Repeat this over and over, it's not a GT, it's not a GT, it's not meant to be a GT.
Do you really own a Mustang? You keep bashing them.Tell the truth now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
pcfrisch said:
Good grief, Ford did not design the V6 Mustang to have that much HP on purpose, aka insurance costs etc. Repeat this over and over, it's not a GT, it's not a GT, it's not meant to be a GT.
My Mustang's 4.0L V6 - 210 HP
My wife's Honda Accord's 3.0L V6 - 244 HP

Yep, that's not good. I love my Mustang, but Ford should have given the V6 about 270 HP and the V8 about 350. Time marches on and Ford hasn't kept up.

·
Registered
404 Posts
looky here:

http://subscribers.wardsauto.com/Microsites/index.asp?srid=10088&pageid=9938&siteid=26&magazineid=1004&srtype=1

the 10 best engines according to wards...the magazine came with a nice poster sized thing showing the details/curves...anyway, the link above has links to all the engines, and forget HP- look at the torque curves- the only one to beat the 4.6 was the hemi...
anyway, neat site- has hp/trq curves of them all- I was really suprised at the bottom end torque on the 4.6, as I'd 'thought' it woulda been a lot lower- its really got a nicetorque curve, just aint a bigblock...

N

·
0 Posts
i have to come to the defense of my stangs....they are what they are...for all of the v6 owners that complain about how the hp is low....you bought a v6 ace...if you were buying for power you should have bought a gt...the v6 isnt really the racer in the stable...as far as the hp compared to other cars hp...theres many types of hp you know...lets see....someone said that a minivan could beat a stang cause it has more hp....so i guess a hummer h2 can beat our stangs too cause it has about 30 horsepower more than our gts...guess what though...it weighs about 4000 pounds more too....yeah lets race...mustangs are backyard cars friends...who in the hell wants a winner right out the box?...wheres the fun in racing the exact same thing as everyone else...the stang is the workin mans racer...you want to take that gto...do it with pride...jack that poney up in your backyard with a few pals and go to town on it and when you rumble out you can find that gto knowing that your stang is your work...not the dealerships.....the charger cant beat us...its a tank....screw them....the gto has 400 and will spank us but lets see you drive that every day...the gto is a straight racer...it doesnt feel right when your arent speeding....our mustang is on the money all around the driving spectrum...it feels great....it sounds great...its a legend unmatched by any other american car except the corvette...and if you want ford to build a 400 hp gt engine to tackle the special edition chargers and challengers and that pesky gto...they already did...its called a shelby cobra and its already done

·
Registered
80 Posts
Stop complaining! Can you get a more powerful car for less? And one that looks as good?

I sure can't, thats why I bought a Mustang

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Love my Stang

Have no worries, I love my Stang GT. It is all around a thing of beauty. As for the the other guys, well, I once was a Chevy lover, but Chevy has not put out anything worthwhile in a long time. Had the new proposed Camaro come out a few years ago, who knows, I may have stayed a Chevy fan, but the Mustang is here and now, I love the fact all the other guys are playing catch up. Yes, I seriusly considered the GTO, for it is fast and comfortable, but it does not come in a Vert. and it is a tad bit plain looking for me. Heck, when I bought my Fusion, I seriously considered buying a Mustang V6 as my daily driver (in it was the California Edition) but practicality won over damn cool looks x2 (since I already have a GT Vert). Yeah, I would have liked a bit more horsepower and a few more options, but if I were to do it again, in a New York minute I would do it again. :eyepoppin

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have the V6 and I love it. I picked it because I really didn't want to deal with the insurance prices of the GT and also because I got a great deal on it while all the dealerships I went to wouldn't even go below MSRP on the GT. I live in NYC so I never really race anybody because 1) the traffic is not ideal 2) the roads aren't exactly in the best shape in most areas and 3) I hate tickets. With that said, I really don't know how my V6 will do in a race but when I'm at a light and I want to cut in front of somebody or if I need to pass a car while in motion the V6 provides more than enough kick for me to do it. 210 might not be a lot but to me I never really get the chance to use that much anyway. Plus, if I want more horsepower this forum has been more than helpful in terms of offering input. After I put a few thousand more miles on my Stang I want to maybe get a CAI with a tuner for it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
So what some of the responders are saying is that for another $1000 (small investment) in a CAI and some axlebacks they are now pushing that hp number up without too much trouble. My GT with an auto was dynoed at 273.9 hp and that you have to remember is at the rear wheels. I'd take on your minivan or ricer any day except why bother wasting good 93 octane?

·
Registered
478 Posts
pcfrisch said:

AMEN, my brother!!!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
i hear GM and Ford had a joint venture to make a 6spd automatic trans. They should join up an make a nice v8 motor combining Cubic Inches (GM) and Modular (Ford). Maybe a 6.0 Ltr 4 valve with VVT making 500 in a mustang GT? GM has the LS2 crate motor at around 5K, a 4.6 costs about the same with a 100 less HP. If GM can make big cubic inches out of a small block V8, and have N/A cars with good power, why cant ford do that at a low cost for the mustang? Well, thats a good question that only those guys who build the cars can answer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just put on a set JBA Cat forward shorty headers (I already have the Roush axle back exhaust), throttle body and spacer, aFe CAI and Steeda underdrive pulleys (finished this one today) and a Diablo tune. I ordered the charge motion plate eliminators, should have those on mid next month and then will dyno and re-tune. With the exception of the headers I have put all this on myself, these cars are very easy to work on then my old 69 Mach1 was. I have not ran up against too much that impresses me with looks or stock power over the Mustang. I am sure there are models out there that can blow your doors off stock from the dealer IE, the new Vet.....but when you think about the history of Ford, they have always had one true muscle car, the Mustang. All the others have taken stabs at anything they can build...GTO, Camaro, Trans, Fire Bird, Charger, Challenger, they all gave up and now they are trying to make come backs and out do the Mustang. Whatever short comings Ford has done with power can be corrected. And if I get beat by something else, so be it. But I still have the best looking car with the most loyal of owners anywhere. Here is a link with a better picture of my girl and I will never let her go :) ...Just my long winded 2 cents worth :tongue

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e118/JPS51830/MyCar-2.jpg

·
Registered
599 Posts
No one made u buy that crappy slow ford in your driveway......either mod it up to the power u want, or sell it and go to someone else's web forum. Now off with u.:sterb:

·
Registered
713 Posts
as i await the arrival of my gt, i am getting pounded by my gm and mopar buddies..."just wait until i get my challenger/camaro!!".."you should have waited for the new gto body style/camaro/fire-chicken"...IT MAKES ME THIINK I JUMPED THE GUN ON MY MIDLIFE CRISIS CAR!!...i'm sure the mustang will have respectable power, but how much do i have to invest in mod's to beat a gto or a stock challenger(i know..if they build it)...like i said in previous threads, ford should have offered more options like a 350h.p. boss...its obvious we would have paid extra for it....ford will probably respond to the camaro and the challenger by boosting the h.p on the 2008 models..then our cars will be devalued as the weaker early efforts...you can put all the mods on you want , but that just lowers your resale..stock h.p. holds value...I JUST HOPE I DON'T WISH I WAITED ...

N

·
0 Posts
cancel the car if youre so unsure...wait awhile....why would you rush to buy the mustang if you want something else..?..for a guy that wants the hp so much you dont sound like a real racer...the mustang gt even in its stock form doesnt fall too far behind anything...and i raced a mazeratti gt down the turnpike so i know(that car has a ferrari engine)the new stang has more bang for the buck than ANY other car for sale today...ANY other car...thats a fact...that said/written/whatever, if the challenger can match the stangs price and outpower it by about 100 to offset its greater body weight i am so in there cause its the only other mancar out there that matches the stangs beauty...

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
funny how people always want the top horsepower when they probably cant even handle the power as a "driver". I think, if you took your car to a technical track (not a drag strip), you will find out that that Mustang is a great car and for minimal upgrades to the suspension, its a pretty good racer. I spent a few dollars on my GT in the suspension dept, and I love the way the car handles. Stright line accleration is almost borring, when you can really test the car's abilities on a track and you can beat cars with more power hands down.. 300HP is a lot of power for most, but remember even if you had 400 or 500, there will be always someone with more power. But can they drive better than you??? I good first mod for most would be some sort of driving school. then you can really appriciate what you have.

my .02

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.