Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i guess its about that time...the strtracr is about to go into its garage to sleep a bit....now heres my problem...while the 06gt is in the garage i had planned to sell my 2000 mustang and get a knockaround truck to get thru the snow...however the 2000 isnt selling fast as id hoped....hard to sell a mustang as winter approaches i guess....QUESTION...which snow tire is best to get a mustang through the snow filled road? can any mustang get around in snow?....cause the black 2000 is pulling winter duty

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
I ran Bridgestone All Season Radials on three prior Mustangs and they worked fine in the snow we get here in Colorado.. I also live out of Denver 30 Miles and at about 9,000 above Sea Level. Also put two(2) tubes of sand in the trunk over the axle...... Wife doesn't want me running the '05 GT in snow though, she says that's why we paid off the truck to keep ('00 F-150). But I still sneak :laughlitt it out on nice days.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
nghtrnnr said:
well i guess its about that time...the strtracr is about to go into its garage to sleep a bit....now heres my problem...while the 06gt is in the garage i had planned to sell my 2000 mustang and get a knockaround truck to get thru the snow...however the 2000 isnt selling fast as id hoped....hard to sell a mustang as winter approaches i guess....QUESTION...which snow tire is best to get a mustang through the snow filled road? can any mustang get around in snow?....cause the black 2000 is pulling winter duty
I get around fine, and I got around fine in my 68 Mustang, and my 68 cougar.

The 82 I had would give me some trouble every now and then . . ..

I've driven through 2 blizzards last year . . . There ar eseveral tips in the archives, look up snow + driving and you should find them.

Dedicated snow tires are the best, BLizzaks are generally the cheapest. I've always used an all season tire, and haven't had any problems at all. On all season tires, you just have to be a bit more careful with your inputs.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
I got some 17" bullitt take offs from ebay and have some goodyear EAgle Ultra Grip GW3's to slap on there, will report back after 1st snow. These tires have worked great for me in the past, the GW3 are suppose to be the newest ones, Ive only used GW2's and Ultra Grip Ice's

·
Registered
11,432 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a set of 15" 205/65 studded Michelins on my winter ride (01 V6 stang). It feels like they have better grip on light snow/ice than the factory original Goodyear Eagles used to have on wet pavement... Anyway, whatever tires you have, the trick on winter driving is to take it easy, have longer distances and learn to drift on an empty parking lot.. :winks

·
Registered
897 Posts
When It Comes to Snow Listen To A Canadian.

First you must ask yourself a few questions.

How much snow do you get?

How many miles a week will you travel in the snow?

How well and how soon are the roads cleaned after a good dumping of snow?

What type of terrain do you drive through? Hills ect.

Are you the type of person who when they need to go somewhere will go no matter what the weather conditions are?

Get the type of tires that suit your environment.

First of all go with the narrowest tire you can if you plan on going through deep snow. Yes handling will suffer but hey it's winter.

If your original tire size was a 16" a 225/55 16 or a 215/60 16 would be good choices for a pre-2005 mustang.

If the car can fit 15" rims the 205/65 15 would save you a little money and get you better deep snow traction.

Tires with very tight treadblock and many small sipes or tiny slits in them are excellent on ice but not so good in the snow.

Tires with chunky treadblocks and very few sipes are good for deep snow but may not so good on ice or hardpack snow

Studdable winter tires. Steel studs are inserted in the treadblocks to give you enhanced grip on hard packed snow and ice. Most studable tires have a more open tread pattern allowing them to bite better in the snow also. MUST BE USED IN SETS OF 4

The steel studs must be inserted prior to rolling on them. Once the tire is driven on you cannot insert the studs. Studding a tire costs between $10-$20 per tire. Studding a tire makes it more noisy but still bareable. BE CAREFULL IF YOU MUST CROSS BRIDGES WITH SOLID STEEL DECKING. WHEN WET THEY WILL FEEEL LIKE YOU'RE DRIVING ON A SHEET OF ICE.

Your last choice should be an all season tire. They're not too bad for the first year when they're new but it's all down hill from there.

Whatever your choice in tires you should always use 4 of the same tires in winter.

On a FWD car the tires with the best grip should go on the BACK of the car contary to what most people think. This keeps the car from spinning out of control in curves.

All of my winter cars have always ridden on 4 studded snow tires. There's no better feeling than pulling away from someone with an all wheel drive car at a stoplight in deep snow leaving him wondering how you did that.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I drove my V6 in the snow all of last year. With some commen sense and some know how it is just fine. The traction controll system in these cars works beyond expectations - IMHO.
This year after trading the sixer for my GT I plan to keep the GT off the road until spring. I am doing this not for fear of the snow (traction) but for fear of the salt on the road. I bought a high milege Explorer beater for the winter...

Just my 2 cents.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
same here red...i hear the gt is actually good on the snow but i dont want to salt up the bottom just yet

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Before you run out to get studded snow tires check your local and state laws. They are illegal in most states. and the ones that allow it, allow it only for a few months out of the year.

Nice write up Thump! totally agree

·
Registered
112 Posts
Undercoating

redfire GT said:
I am doing this not for fear of the snow (traction) but for fear of the salt on the road. I bought a high milege Explorer beater for the winter...
Good point with the salt! Since most '05s are still new and there is little damage underneath (rock chips etc), so rust proofing might make things worse, but if they pour both salt and sand in your area, I'd still do the undercoating. Just make sure you don't go to the cheapest shop since they may rustproof your exhaust too.. :laughlitt I got "factory warranty extension" treatment to my 01, which means they don't drill anything open, but will put the goo into everywhere thay can. Especially underneath its a good extra protection in case you run over a block of packed sandy snow (falls sometimes from other cars' fenders etc) on the road. But.. Word of warning: if you do the undercoating, you have to get the coating checked and redone if necessary every few years depending on conditions. For example I like to do some drifting on gravel -> check up every fall before the salt season.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Stoenr said:
Before you run out to get studded snow tires check your local and state laws. They are illegal in most states. and the ones that allow it, allow it only for a few months out of the year.

Nice write up Thump! totally agree
There is also two types on studs. The street studs are below the tire surface when driving normally and come out on when breaking, accelerating heavily, i.e. when needed. Those are pretty silent on highway since all snow tires make more noise than all season / summer tires. The racing studs are always "up" and they are very noisy and most likely illegal in even states allowing studded tires. Kinda pavement grinders.. :winks Tracktion on snow & ice: excellent, without snow: slippery.

The new style street studs came around about 10 years ago, so before that there was only "racing" types and I happened to have a set of them in garage. When comparing to the new tires, they looked quite evil.. :eyepoppin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts