Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello Everyone

My name is Walter and I have a question, I'm sorry if I selected the wrong topic but I don't know which one I should choose.
guys I hit my car last month and I'm trying fixing it by myself since the damage was not that much, but I have a enormous difficult to find some parts, English is not my first language I live in LA area just for a couples of years and I still have difficult to find the name of the parts in English to search for them.
My doubt right is about the steering wheel, the air bag deployed so I still don't know if I have to change the whole thing or just some parts, if it is just some parts what parts should I looking for? I'm accepting any other advice that can help me with it, the passenger airbag deployed as well.

Thank you everyone.
Car Vehicle Hood Gear shift Wheel

·
Administrator
6,416 Posts
Welcome and thank you for joining ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules if you haven’t already.
We encourage you to complete your Account Settings.
If you need help posting, please read this FAQ.

We’re happy you have chosen to be a part of our community.

Someone will be along shortly.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote

·
Tech-Advisor
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
4,328 Posts
Both air bags deployed but you think that the damage was not much? If air bags deploy then there is definitely moderate to severe damage. I suggest bringing the car to an auto body shop since air bag systems are not simple to work on. You probably have to get the air bag module reset as well.

·
Registered
05 GT Premium, satin silver over red. Vortech Si-trim @ 9 psi.
333 Posts
I repaired a 2003 that had both airbags deployed. I bought a parts car and swapped both airbags and the module. No other airbag system parts were needed.

·
Tech-Advisor
4,328 Posts
Air bags and module are matched sets. As I recall if you buy a new air bag then the module has to be set to the air bag. If an entire parts car is available then swapping all the those parts will keep the air bag system working and the dash light off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited by Moderator)
thanks guys, I'm gonna see what to do. It's a little hard to find some parts, like the airbag, if someone has a website to indicate I appreciate it. there is another part that I'd like to change but I didn't find where to buy it, I circled it on the picture, I bought and change most parts like bumper, headlights... but this one and the airbags it's been a little hard.
this part on the picture bended a little bit I think this the reason that the headlight is not fitting perfectly.
I'm just doing that fixing by myself to use the car but my plan is taking it to a body shop to paint and maybe something else, I didn't take right because the guy from the body shop gave me a slightly high estimate.
Automotive parking light Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
333 Posts
That circled bit is part of the radiator support which is basically the entire front structure of the car. I replaced the whole thing on my '03. The part is cheap and readily available but It's a lot of work and I suspect that's why the body shop estimate was a bit higher than you expected.

·
Tech-Advisor
4,328 Posts
thanks guys, I'm gonna see what to do. It's a little hard to find some parts, like the airbag, if someone has a website to indicate I appreciate it. there is another part that I'd like to change but I didn't find where to buy it, I circled it on the picture, I bought and change most parts like bumper, headlights... but this one and the airbags it's been a little hard.
this part on the picture bended a little bit I think this the reason that the headlight is not fitting perfectly.
I'm just doing that fixing by myself to use the car but my plan is taking it to a body shop to paint and maybe something else, I didn't take right because the guy from the body shop gave me a slightly high estimate.
View attachment 786825
Since air bags deployed it's not any surprise that the front structure is bent. The radiator support is the main center assembly: Mustang Radiator Core Support (97-04) - LMR.com
There are so many brackets, supports, gussets, and reinforcements on the front of that car that it's hard to tell which parts are what and which you need. I don't know what it is that's clearly bent in the pic but the core support itself is likely a bit bent too.
I don't think this is the piece that you have circled though I'm not sure but the upper sides where the support meets the fender aprons are called the fender apron gussets or extensions: Mustang Core Support to Fender Apron Extension - LH (94-04) F4ZZ-16B199-A (lmr.com) Unfortunately, it only looks like the driver side extension is available anymore but you may need a passenger side one. Even the driver side one is actually discontinued and not reproduced but there is apparently a bunch of remaining stock left at various suppliers. You will have to source a used passenger side one somewhere though the original part # is F6ZZ-16B198-AA . You may be able to massage any of these parts back into shape and reuse them if you can't find replacements.
The fender aprons are strangely not reproduced for the 1994-2004 Mustangs either so if either one is bent then you will only have used ones available like many of the parts and pieces in the front end.
Here's a bunch of the front end structural parts: Front Panels, Aprons & Side Members - 2003 Ford Mustang (fordpartsgiant.com)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since air bags deployed it's not any surprise that the front structure is bent. The radiator support is the main center assembly: Mustang Radiator Core Support (97-04) - LMR.com
There are so many brackets, supports, gussets, and reinforcements on the front of that car that it's hard to tell which parts are what and which you need. I don't know what it is that's clearly bent in the pic but the core support itself is likely a bit bent too.
I don't think this is the piece that you have circled though I'm not sure but the upper sides where the support meets the fender aprons are called the fender apron gussets or extensions: Mustang Core Support to Fender Apron Extension - LH (94-04) F4ZZ-16B199-A (lmr.com) Unfortunately, it only looks like the driver side extension is available anymore but you may need a passenger side one. Even the driver side one is actually discontinued and not reproduced but there is apparently a bunch of remaining stock left at various suppliers. You will have to source a used passenger side one somewhere though the original part # is F6ZZ-16B198-AA . You may be able to massage any of these parts back into shape and reuse them if you can't find replacements.
The fender aprons are strangely not reproduced for the 1994-2004 Mustangs either so if either one is bent then you will only have used ones available like many of the parts and pieces in the front end.
Here's a bunch of the front end structural parts: Front Panels, Aprons & Side Members - 2003 Ford Mustang (fordpartsgiant.com)
you just gave the name of the part that I was looking for and I couldn't find it, the core support, I need the passenger side, it is the side that damage, the other side is good, I'm going to take a look at all these links.

Thank you.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Here's a highlighted image from AM showing what the rad support is. Mine only appeared to be bent on the driver's side but the whole thing got replaced.
Vehicle Tire Car Grille Automotive tail & brake light

1 - 11 of 11 Posts