Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I purchased a 2007 Mustang V6. Its been my daily driver. Recently I purchased a 1974 Corvette with Hooker sidepipes and the original 350 engine. For the past week I have been using the Stang less and driving the Vette more! Listening to the 350's sweet sound, is the best! no radio just straight exhaust symphony:cooldude:
Now heres my dilemma, even though the Mustang is quick and fun, its not exciting any more. Theres just no "in your face" performance or sound that I love:boring
Heres comes the good stuff. The place I live, Maine. You really don't expect to see muscle cars everyday, but since March there have been ALOT of Mustang GT's on the road. I here their 4.6's roar into action, see the fog lights and DUAL exhaust. You know what I do? Kick myself for getting a six... Then I look at all the GT's for sale and see the sky high prices! Yeah that doesn't help either.
All I know is I want a GT BADLY!!
Now this is NOT a V6 bash. Remember I do own one.

I just want to know from all the GT owners, "How the hell do you afford it" and how can I?

Thanks for any responses,

Kyle

·
Registered
115 Posts
We all end up with the car we have for a lot of different reasons. You probably like a lot more than just the drivetrain of your Vette - I mean, it's a 70s Vette!

If you have inherited the Stang your parents drove, or got yorus as a gift with a price limit well below the dealer price for a GT, such as myself, all you do is you hook your V6 up with some new bolt ons, and a tune, and you will not be missing out on much as compared to what you get for 30,000 from Ford.

Personally, I couldn't be happier with my 4.0 and would not dream of trading it in for the 2011 V6 even if they paid me. No offense to anyone with the Duratec. The 2011s do have VVT, T-Lok, dual exhaust, and 19" wheels, to their credit.

Anyway sure, the 5.0 Coyote would have been spectacular if I saved up enough to own and drive one, but I for one am glad I've got 4.0 liters while they offered them. A 4.6 is surely a better starting point but I'll enjoy my SOHC beast until 2013 when I put in a down payment for 60th anniversary 2014 Mustang V8!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True, its tough to top a 70s Vette lol.
Last year when I brought the Stang home, I got it for 11,000$! kinda a steal for a Mustang. In a way it doesn't make sense for me to complain. The only mods I have done to the car are the GT muffler and the pony's on the side. I REALLY want to do dual exhaust but really don't have the money or time to put into it.:mesad: I guess I'll have to try some mods once i get paid, and see if I am satisfied?

Thanks for the response!
Kyle

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I afford my GT cause I work for it and I found an awesome deal on mine. It's addicting to mod it so that's were my money goes to now haha. But I'm broke now cause of it.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I afforded mine by putting a lot of cash down, having a 4k positive trade in on the 2004 Sport Trac I traded in , and then paying it off in 2 years by dumping any extra cash toward the loan.

It's a dang good thing to not have a car payment right now with the economy the way it is here in Florida.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I afforded mine by putting a lot of cash down, having a 4k positive trade in on the 2004 Sport Trac I traded in , and then paying it off in 2 years by dumping any extra cash toward the loan.

It's a dang good thing to not have a car payment right now with the economy the way it is here in Florida.
I'll be down there Sat. to stimulate it… :cheers

·
Registered
580 Posts
Trade In

Last year I purchased a 2007 Mustang V6. Its been my daily driver. Recently I purchased a 1974 Corvette with Hooker sidepipes and the original 350 engine. For the past week I have been using the Stang less and driving the Vette more! Listening to the 350's sweet sound, is the best! no radio just straight exhaust symphony:cooldude:
Now heres my dilemma, even though the Mustang is quick and fun, its not exciting any more. Theres just no "in your face" performance or sound that I love:boring
Heres comes the good stuff. The place I live, Maine. You really don't expect to see muscle cars everyday, but since March there have been ALOT of Mustang GT's on the road. I here their 4.6's roar into action, see the fog lights and DUAL exhaust. You know what I do? Kick myself for getting a six... Then I look at all the GT's for sale and see the sky high prices! Yeah that doesn't help either.
All I know is I want a GT BADLY!!
Now this is NOT a V6 bash. Remember I do own one.

I just want to know from all the GT owners, "How the hell do you afford it" and how can I?

Thanks for any responses,

Kyle
Trade in the Vette and the v6 for a Shelby gt 500 (2011 super snake) - take the bus in the winter and have a blast for the other 9 months out of the year. :yup:

·
Registered
46 Posts
You have to shop around to find the car you want. You also have to do a lot of research. If you are trading in your vehicle you have to see what your vehicle is worth. Most dealers are now using "Blackbook" prices which is the average price of your vehicle at auctions. I found my 06 Mustang GT Convertible by just driving by my Local Ford dealer last summer. It only had 7500 miles on it and it listed for $19000. I went in to inquire about it and they showed my the carfax and the carfax was clean. Last summer my car was selling for around $22500.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Yea I know how you feel, I also have the V6 and I wish at the time I'd have got the V8 but since my CAI and Tune Install it's a Different Car and Much more FUN to drive:bigthumbsup I would have Passed on the Vette and when your V6 was paid for sell it and would have taken that money and the money you spent on the Vette and got a V8.:bigthumbsup
Im waiting for the Economy to get better (if it does) then go for the 2014 50th Anniversary Stang, if not 'll be Happy with the one I have now and drive it knowing it's Paid For:winks

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Well, I can't speak for anyone else here, but for the first 45 years of my life I was busy going to college, serving my country, raising a family and paying bills. I never had the opportunity to endulge in muscle cars either. My first Mustang was a 1965 coupe, bought for the wife as our 2nd car. She needed some wheels of her own after being married 6 years and putting up with me and military transfers every few years. We bought our 2nd Mustang a brand new 1985 coupe 4cyl a few years later, after selling the 65. We couldn't afford the GT version, so got what we could at the time. It wasn't till after I retired from military service and got my son thru college, that I got my first muscle car, a 2006 Mustang GT. Some called it my Mid Life Crisis. I called it opportunity came a knocking...and we now have 2.

Morale of the story...you're time will come, be patient. :winks

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I got mine just at the right time 2008 just before the economy went in the ditch and plus I got a great deal on it.It was used but it was just like brand new, still with the new car smell, so take your time. There are deals to be had out there and with the new 5.0's out someone will trade in a nice GT and the price will be right :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
917 Posts
Trust me man I had a V6 for 5 years. I still do as my daily driver. It has a full body kit, dual exhausts, system, in dash tv, vertical doors, upgraded interior the works. I love that car to death. I also have GT500 and a KR.

The modding never stops. You think a GT is enough until you see how you can mod that to go faster. Then you get the GT500 and you see you can do pulley and intake or swap a supercharger and get more. Its endless.

You gotta be happy with what you got and it seems like you have some sweet rides.

·
Registered
717 Posts
it all comes down to priorties. for me my car comes first. spending thousands of dollars on it just happens to be part of the hobbie. the end result will be a wicked looking , stupid fast death machine

·
Registered
205 Posts
I bought my 2K9 GT at the end of the year and there were 3 09's left on the lot. I paid 23K @ 2.4 apr. I really liked the 2K10's better but not at full price and a higher interst rate.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Trust me man I had a V6 for 5 years. I still do as my daily driver. It has a full body kit, dual exhausts, system, in dash tv, vertical doors, upgraded interior the works. I love that car to death. I also have GT500 and a KR.

The modding never stops. You think a GT is enough until you see how you can mod that to go faster. Then you get the GT500 and you see you can do pulley and intake or swap a supercharger and get more. Its endless.

You gotta be happy with what you got and it seems like you have some sweet rides.
so you got a v6 when you were 16 and now have 2 shelbys thats better than i think ill be able to do in my lifetime wheres your pics in your profile? If i had those cars i would have a whole spread. are those daddys cars????? :)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
its been a week where are you! :rollgrin:

·
Registered
752 Posts
While I don't have a GT...I thought I'd chime in.

I afford my cars by simply doing smart financial planning. I don't really have a high paying job (I'm only pulling down 35K a year) but I'm real good with my money and don't do too much frivolous spending. I didn't get my first Mustang until I was 26 years old. I first tried when I was 18 years however I was new to the credit world with no established credit and everyone laughed me out of their dealership. :kooky:I tried again when I was 22 (I was hooked on a beautiful 2002 Screaming Yellow Mustang) but I couldn't afford it. Four years later the right deal (0% for 72 months) came along and I was 3 months out of paying off my 2003 Chevrolet Cavalier. Then I upgraded last month to a 2011 Mustang v6 by trading in my 06 v6 because I had a positive upside to the trade in. Some of my friends give me flack for "unnecessarily" getting a new car but after following the 2011s for so long I knew this is what I wanted. However like I said, I'm financially responsible and I crunch numbers from every angle and if I couldn't afford it, I wouldn't have pulled the trigger.

As far as my advice to you, I would say try to think of ways you can save money and put it towards that future GT. For example, my friends like to eat out a lot (and not at cheap eateries like McDonalds and such). When I know they are going out and want me to join up with them (like at a bar or restaurant) I usually make sure I eat before I leave so that I may only spend $5.00 - $10.00 (or nothing if I'm feeling especially cheap :D) whereas they may spend $30 and onward. Another thing is that I'm not buying the newest and latest in clothing attire. I don't need a $120 pair of Skechers when a $15 pair of sneakers from Payless Shoes will still give me the same benefit when I'm doing my afternoon walk around the neighborhood. These are two of the ways I find to save money so when it comes to something I really want to get I'm able to afford. So simply, find a way to save cash here & there and in no time you'll have a nice bit of cash to use in either fixing up your v6 or helping you get that GT.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.