Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have recently purchased a 1965 Mustang coupe that was an unfinished project. I was told it was a fuel injected 351 and from looking at photos, it looks like a late 80's Mustsng motor.

Is there any way I can tell what exactly it is? I have included a photo to see if anyone can tell me exactly what it is and if not what is the best way to tell? Maybe engine number? If so where would that be locateed?

Cheers,

Scott :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
There is a serial number (last six of the VIN) on a flat pad on the top-rear of the block, just behind where the lower intake manifold bolts down to the block. But sine the engine is already installed in the car, getting to and reading that serial number may be difficult.

The serial number will tell you the model year, assembly plant, and consecutive unit number of the car the engine was originally installed in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi agsin guys, have had a look and found the plate and the back of the motor, but it is blank!! I have scoured the block and cant find anything at all except ctp is written in the hwa at the front left of the head next to where the spark plug goes in.

Any other ideas? Maybe it is a crate motor?

·
Registered
2,803 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked the flat one on top of the block and there was nothing there, i will try and have a look at the back near the side of the head but as you have said that will be quite hard with the engine in the car!!

Cheers

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Look at the head bolts. 302's use 7/16", 351's use 1/2". Also, there should be a ridge near the distributor on the block on the 351 and there should be no ridge there on a 302.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
The pad that you took pictures of is painted. You're not going to be able to read anything on that with it painted and the engine in the car. That pad has to be CLEAN, i.e. no paint, rust, grime, etc.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info guys, I have taken a photo of the distributor to see if this is the rydge you were speaking about david kinter.

thanks cindy sn_95, sounds like its a 302!! Any idea on age??

FoxChassis thanks for your help but yeah as you say it is too hard to see the engine number so looks like im outta luck with engine number!! Will look there for sure if I ever have to pull the engine out.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts