Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Call me crazy, but since I purchased my 98GT I am CONVINCED the car accelerates better, performs better, the pedal feels stiffer, and feels like it has more power when driving at night....specifically on a spring or summer night in New Jersey. Is it the thicker, cooler air? Although it runs just fine in the middle of the day, it just seems to be a little more sluggish.

This may be a stretch, but the only thing this would effect is air flow. Mainly the CAI and/or the MAF sensor.....wondering if the filter is due for a cleaning or the MAF needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
506 Posts
the night air is cooler and denser, more air = more fuel = more power or at least in theory.

last weekend on the powerblock horsepower was dyno testing a olds engine and it got best performance in the middle of the night... so cooler air worked for them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Your computer pulls timing out over 200 degrees.. during the day you are likely to always be over 200 degrees, at night it may stay around 190-195 easier in cooler air, it'll make a really big difference, especially when added to the fact that cooler, denser air coming into the motor makes a tangible difference.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
That's where that whole Density Altitude thing comes into play.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I take it you have never been to the drag races? I have seen guys with little mini weather stations. Cool dry air = HP. When i ride my Harley to work in the mornings it would run great in the cool air. On an air cooled motor you could really feel a big difference. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
91 Posts
In the early 1980s I had a 302 4v Fairmont Futura set up with Mustang GT parts. My job had me driving throughout the tri state area. The best driving was at night on the GSP with the windows down, the stereo playing and the cool air making the engine run smoother and better. Back then, water injection kits like Spearco were a big seller for people who wanted the same effect.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
you should see the difference with F/I. the difference is exponential.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have noticed this too... so your not the only one.:laugh:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts