Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to get the feedback of others on the board. I have a 98 Mustang GT with 4 different tires with each tire at different tread levels, so maybe this is the route cause. Maybe getting 4 new MATCHING tires and a good balance would correct it? Anyway, the car always moves smoothly until I get onto the highway at hit speeds between 65-70mph when the whole car starts to shake. If I exceed speeds to 75, 80, 85mph the car continues to shake but nearly as bad. If I drive anywhere under 60mph the car rides as smooth as a babys butt. Thoughts?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I would defintely get new tires and all four wheels balanced before making any further speculation. If the issue still persists have the alignment checked.

·
Registered
57 Posts
www.discounttiredirect.com

Cheapest tires on the net that I've found by fat- plus they offer free shipping!
You just have to pay somebody to mount and balance them for you. I got a set of 255/45-17 BFG T/A's for 80 bucks each! a few months ago off of there... cant beat that

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies and help people. I will look into this more. Maybe try to hang out of the car and climb under there while doing 70 to see what's going on :hihi:

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
thanks for the replies and help people. I will look into this more. Maybe try to hang out of the car and climb under there while doing 70 to see what's going on :hihi:
Ever seen the movie "Speed" with Keanu Reeves? Go for it!!! :D

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
4 different tires is a really bad idea, if they have different speed ratings that is generally not safe, there are some areas to skimp on, but this is not one

·
Registered
720 Posts
I had a similar problem, except the rears were Falken ziextires and fronts were Eagles. THe fronts were unevenly worn and cause my stang to rattle like crazy above 50 especially when braking. I just replaced the front two with the same as the back two got some nails in the rears and took em back w. the warranty told em I bought the rears and git nails through em and for $70 got two new $315 tires. Soo all 4 new tires 385. Not a bad deal for good brand Z rated tires. Tire discount all the way!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
We do a lot of Mustang salvage rebuilds at our shop, many of them have poor tires or have gone square from sitting. These tires can cause all types of symptoms. At one point we had started second guessing our work, maybe some damaged part was missed or a mistake in the alignment. The cars would shake like you stated and sometimes dart around with the crown of the road. The fix was always a fresh set of tires, Mustangs seem more sensitive to worn tires than other vehicles.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
I'd say the tires are definitely causing a problem, and the wheels being out of balance. Start by checking all the tires to make sure none have a nail or bubble in them. It could also be something in the driveline, but I'd start by dealing with the wheels and tires, and make sure none of the wheels has been damaged from hitting a curb etc. Having 4 different tires on there will cause oddities like some vibration or tracking issues, but unless they are also out of balance, bubbled, etc its not likely to be as bad as you describe.

·
Registered
603 Posts
The tires sound like the problem but after you fix and still happins try the u joints!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.