Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mustang shuts off unexpectedly only on hot days after sitting at a stop light or in slow moving traffic. I'm thinking its electrical just don't know where to start. Any ideas really need help?

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
will it immediately restart? Are any gauges or codes showing a problem? A/C on or off? Any other symptoms?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Is the car stick or auto? It could be the tfi module in the distributor. Does the car restart? How does it run in cool weather?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gauges are not in the hot zone, its at the second mark above 130. The car runs perfect in cold weather and temperatures up to 80 degrees. When it does cut off its after like 45 mins of red light to red light. It doesn't start right back whenever it shuts down it takes like 20 to start back. Before it shuts off there's like vibration when I press the gas then it shuts off. In fact I just took an 3 hr trip this morning with no problem.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Test your coil? Its possible that your coil is becoming "heat saturated". I think it is a more common problem to have it stall out underload if the coal is bad but i would check it out.

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge you can hook up and watch as you drive?

·
Registered
115 Posts
What level is the fuel tank at when it happens? Below half or above half? or both?

·
Registered
22 Posts
kind of sounds like what my fuel injected stang is doing now. i'm thinking it may be the fuel pump. i spoke to a decent shop and they said that a weak pump + a warmed up car could equal the pump seizing. once the car cools off, the pump works again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It happens with full or half fuel tank. And its not the fuel filter I just replaced it a week ago while doing my tune up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts