Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving to work this morning pretty early I see a flash of something in front of my car and less than half a second later BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP... my stomach sank.

I look back and saw something in the road and turned around to see what I had hit, and as I am coming up to it I am thinking "please don't be someone's pet!" No sooner I get done thinking that, I see it's tail twitching and I slow down and see it looks like a Beagle mix.. :( I was so sick, my wife and I have 3 dogs and to us they are our kids as we don't have children and I was mortified.

I circled back and when I got back the dog wasn't moving anymore and I pulled him off the road, but had to leave to get to a meeting at work.

I called my wife and luckily she has worked in a vet office before so she was comfortable doing this, she drove to where the dog was and was going to wrap it up and try to see if the owners lived nearby and if not take it to the vet to see if it was micro chipped or had tags to find owner.

When she got there it wasn't there so she pulled over to look closer and a guy walked out of his yard and asked her if she hit a dog. She said she hadn't, that I had and she was looking for it to try to find it's owner. Unfrotunately it was the man's sister's dog who lived with him, but he was very understanding and was gracious that she had come by to see what she could do for the dog.

He had already buried the dog and called his sister. My wife and I are going to make a donation to the local animal shelter in the dog's name and send his sister some flowers.

I just got back from driving over to the guy's house to apologize myself and he was very kind and we started talking for a bit. Come to find out he has a mechanic background and we started talking cars and he is actually rebuilding a 1960's Ford pickup in his garage and he had done work on Mustang's before also.

He was then looking at my car admiring it and he said "Oh!!, looks like Taco (dog's name) popped your lower fascia apart" I look over and the lower painted part and top black section of the lower fascia is split open from hitting his dog. And then he walks over to put it together.. I was thinking "omg I just killed this guy's dog with my car and he is fixing my car damage from killing it" I was like, "oh man don't worry about that, I will get it.. but he insisted.

Man what a morning!

·
Registered
536 Posts
You are a great guy and I truly feel for you. My dog is 15 years old. I'm 29 so you can do the math and see how long I have known my dog.

The world needs more people like you and your wife, and more people like that guy.

I hope the rest of your day goes better!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are a great guy and I truly feel for you. My dog is 15 years old. I'm 29 so you can do the math and see how long I have known my dog.

The world needs more people like you and your wife, and more people like that guy.

Thank you Jeepis, comments like that help.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I beheaded a squirrel the other morning with the BOSS front racing splitter. Poor liitle dare devil never had a chance. All I saw in the rearview was the body rolling down the road and when I got to work there was a blood trail leading to below the radiator. I got a nearby stick and flicked him out of the front end.

At least the guy didnt threaten to sue you or something for killing the dog. Im also glad to hear you went back and moved the dog and then talked to the guy. Most people would have never looked back.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
You just had to post that one...I actually got a little choked man. If you said you had run over some towel-head terrorist, or a drug dealer I wouldn't even flinch, but a pet--any pet, to include a cat--just tears at the heart strings.

Good for you for being a stand-up guy. Our society needs more of that.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I would be heartbroken as you are in this situation. I can't believe how cruel some people can be that they (NOT YOU) don't slow down more for animals. You area a rare breed as most people not only would not look back but they would not send their wife back or take responsibility. Hope the rest of your day goes better.

And there is no nice way to say this but the owner of the dog is legally liable for the damage to your car. Leash laws cover this. My sister got sued when some jerk speeding down her street basically mowed down her dog. The person was a real piece of work, immediately called the cops and had my sister issued a citation for failure to secure her dog.

·
Registered
420 Posts
You and your wife are good people - God Bless You both!

+1 to what they said. World needs more folk like you and your wife. I fully believe in karma, and you just banked some in my view.

·
Registered
478 Posts
well that really is something there arent many people who would go back but im glad you did imagine how much worse you would have felt had you not. This world needs people who care more and try to make things better THANK YOU:yelpleased:

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
My two shelter rescue mutts, and the one that proceeded them, live the best rags to riches life I can give them.

One of my short list of mortal fears is having to go through what you went through this morning. I think I'd need to be on tranquilizers for several weeks at best.

I feel for what you are going through but I imagine the owner feels just as bad because they failed to keep their dog safe.

Take care!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Poor dog. Sorry you ran over it and its great you did the correct thing.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
That's so sad. :sosad:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hate to hear when something like that happens but ^^ with the others on you doing the right thing. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
256 Posts
i felt horrible after smushing a chipmunk last week.... really i did... i would have felt terrible hitting someone's pet but sounds like you did the right thing and kudos for that.... glad they were understand and appreciated you and your wife stopping by

·
Registered
92 Posts
Grifftech I drive a little country road 5 miles every morning to work and this morning I JUST missed a little fawn that ran out onto the road. It was barely as tall as my tire and I couldn't believe that I missed it but I was so relieved that I did.
It really sucks to hit any animal and I'm sorry for what you went through this morning. But you (and your wife) went above and beyond and I wish the world had more people like you in it.
Hang in there buddy.... :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
937 Posts
You are a good man. Sad story but it could open the door to something positive!

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Grifftech you da man. Same for your neighbor for not flipping out. :bigthumbsup

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.