Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is driving me crazy. It is an 85 Gt, but it was parked and attacked by mice, who ate the wiring and had their way with it, so I bought a 91 for a donor car and changed ALL of the wiring, including computer, multiport, and dash. After I got it all back together, It cranks, starts and then just dies. I can hear the fuel pump kick on and the relay working (the one under the drivers seat) but after it dies, the relay clicks and resets. I have changed the fuel pump, the fuel filter, and checked the ICM and ignition switch at the local Autozone. I checked the reset button in the trunk and it doesnt click so it must be fine. I have also checked the TPS, per Ghost dogs earlier post on setting it to .98v. It has spark and it seems like it is getting enough fuel because it does fire, it just dies after that. When i press the Schrader valve fuel spills out, but is it supposed to spray.? Does anyone know what the pressure should be? Also if I left the key on and released the pressure, should the fuel pump kick back on to build the pressure back up??? It doesnt.
After a visual inspection, I noticed that on the relay on the passenger fender, just under the MAF, the pink/blue wire had bare copper showing so I taped it up. Does anyone know what this relay is for? and would this be related to the problems I am having?? I just purchased a code checker and it keeps coming back with the code 85. In the book it says that this means canister purge circuit failure. Does anyone know what or where the cannister purge is and where the circuit goes. I assume that it is the small plastic box on the passenger side where the third fuel line from the tank is run. Is that right?? There are two wires going to this little gadget. How can I test these. I also have a loose wire where I hooked up the code checker, drivers side, by the brake booster. It is black/orange and I cant see ANYWHERE it would go. It does have power, but there are no broken wires or connectors there. Any input would be great, this stang is just begging to run...........

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
are you using a maf? because 91s are mass airflow cars, and 85s are speed density

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
lxarlo said:
are you using a maf? because 91s are mass airflow cars, and 85s are speed density
I would assume he is using that the '91 was , including the MAF and MAF computer.

Does it stay running if you hold the gas pedal down or does it die immediately? Have you verified your fuel pressure is good and is stable?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the quick replies. Yes I am using the MAF and MAF computer, it is a A9L that came along with the 91. What it does is as soon as it starts, it dies right after fires through all the cylinders, sometimes they will fire a couple times but If I touch the gas petal, it dies even sooner. I have double and tripled checked all grounds and the battery is fully charged.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The relay you questioned about should be the "wide open throttleA/C cut off relay" the wire colors should be black-yellowstripe, Pink-L.Bluestripe, and red. If that is the relay you are talking about. Your Fuel pump relay should be connector 32 on your harness. The canister purge is the small tank located on the passenger frame rail under the hood compartment it kind of hangs off the frame it is bolted on with two bolts. it would make no difference on the running of the car. you may want to look at you fuel pressure regulator. The loose black and orange connector you spoke about is part of the vehilces self test input circuit it remains unplugged at all times. but you are right about the canister purge. it would make no difference in the running of the car. it could cause a check engine light to come on though. I would check the fuel pressure regulator. I had a similar problem with mine and it turned out to be the ground on the injector harness was not attached well and my injector voltage was low. just an idea. it is the orange wire coming off of the white plug in for the fuel rail harness. By the way I took a motor out of a 1991 GT and put it in a 1985 LX 4cyl. car. anyways I am rambling hope the info helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks allmine for the input. I checked the orange wire on the fuel rail harness and it is connected to the back of the motor, right about where the ground strap to the firewall is hooked up. Not the same bolt, but really close to it, grounded to the tube that jumps from head to head. It is really tight though. That is sweet that you dropped an 8 into a 4 cylinder car though, I did that also, the gearing is so different in those two cars huh. It was ungodly fast up to 80mph, but then it would just whine because of the gearing!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I put all of my 1991 drivetrain and suspension in the 1985 so it will be the same only a diffrent body. The whole reason for it was I like trunk cars more than hatchbacks. Let me know if I can help anytime. I got to thinking you may check to see if your TPS is plugged in as well. Or if it is bad. (Throttle Position Sensor)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.