Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I was wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to race any high end/exotic/built cars?

i often wonder how my GT would do vs. Porsches, Lambos, Ferraris?
I know I can look at the numbers of things, but wondering if anyone has actually had any street interaction with something "really quick".

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have played with Mercedez Benz AMG SLK 55,65 BMW E92, 2005 Porsche Carrera S and they have all looked at my bumper :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Slk 65?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
833 Posts
With your mods you should be a low 12 second car or even high 11 with drag tires...you can look online for specs on these cars and see you are in the realm of competing with most if they are still stock also. Comes down to the driver usually.

Now, if it is top speed, I think the Mustang is going to get left behind by a lot of these cars.

·
Banned
3,124 Posts
I had a little fun with an F430 getting onto the highway once. I actually stuck with him for about 100 yards but as soon as he hit his power band in 3rd, I was toast. We had a good laugh once we hit rush hour.

Oh and for the love of whatever is holy, don't play with an R8 FSI 5.2. You will feel hopeless and inadequate and pathetic and stupid and you will have to off yourself. In your Mustang. Because you are slow. :kooky:

·
Registered
500 Posts
AMG I was typing to fast it was the sedan, guy sure had some power adders because he was maybe 1-2 cars behind me.

G

·
0 Posts
AMG I was typing to fast it was the sedan, guy sure had some power adders because he was maybe 1-2 cars behind me.

I work for Mercedes FYI

SLK55....5.5 N/A V8 355hp
SL/E55......5.5 Supercharged V8 469hp
S/CL65...6.0 Twin Turbo V12 604hp(more like 650-675)

If it was a sedan it would have been the S or E-class 55 AMG. The earlier models were naturally asperated and slow. The later models('03-'06) were superchaged at around 500hp.

The 65 was available in the S, CL, and SL classes. That TT V12 would spank even a heavily modded 5.0 mustang easily.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I work for Mercedes FYI

SLK55....5.5 N/A V8 355hp
SL/E55......5.5 Supercharged V8 469hp
S/CL65...6.0 Twin Turbo V12 604hp(more like 650-675)

If it was a sedan it would have been the S or E-class 55 AMG. The earlier models were naturally asperated and slow. The later models('03-'06) were superchaged at around 500hp.

The 65 was available in the S, CL, and SL classes. That TT V12 would spank even a heavily modded 5.0 mustang easily.
Lotta pretenders in the DC area that like to act like they have lots of money so I get to dance with older AMGs and Ms all the time. They learn quickly I'm not just some punk Mustang. One of my favorites was a S55 AMG, no clue on the year. I pulled 2 cars on him and he couldn't pass me til I let off at 120. In Mexico.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Saw a CL65 on the road last night on my car's maiden voyage. Didn't even attempt to mess with him, those cars are beasts. Gorgeous beasts, however.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Took care of a 6 series BMW vert. I know that isn't a huge deal but that guy was pretty pissed.:gringreen

·
Registered
23 Posts
Took on a Nissan GT-R... Lost poorly haha but it was fun! Wait until the supercharger!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Today's Mustang is not far off the pace of a lot of cars that are waaay more expensive. Factor in a power band that is accessible, handling, a back seat, and a trunk and I put this car up there as an unbeatable performance bargain.

Big question probably is this--can a regular joe drive an "exotic" car much faster than a 5.0 Mustang GT?

As far as today's exotics--based on performance numbers in magazines they are insanely fast in the hands of professionals. Faster than the Mustang GT.

However, if you save your old car magazines (I had every Road & Track and some others all the way back to 1982, then I moved and I had to part with them), anyway, if you look back to say 10 years ago the new 5.0 would be pretty close to "exotic car" territory in a lot of categories (0-60, slalom, skidpad, etc).

Today's 5.0 against exotics of 20 years ago would put it in exotic car territory no problem. Of course you'll find a few (Ferrari F-40 I believe was made 20 years ago and it would beat the mustang).

Drop into the "80s and 400+ hp and 0-60 under 5 seconds is rare. I'm not sure if a C4 ZR1 was under 5sec 0-60, i believe it had something like 385hp?

I haven't had my old magazines for a while now, but that's my recollection. So my rule of thumb is this--exotic cars of say 10-15 years ago watch out! haha (my friend's cousin's Ferrari F355 6-10k maintenance cost $6k-8K for oil change/timing belt change otherwise bye bye warranty).

and to anybody who owns an exotic car--enjoy upkeep and maintenance on it.

G

·
0 Posts
Big question probably is this--can a regular joe drive an "exotic" car much faster than a 5.0 Mustang GT?

As far as today's exotics--based on performance numbers in magazines they are insanely fast in the hands of professionals. Faster than the Mustang GT.
The problem with today's "exotics" is that they are too easy to drive with all their flappy paddles and traction control and stability control and ego control. All it takes is to simply mat the gas and go.

Of course this is not true for all uber-power rocket cars, like my favorite exotic. The Koenigsegg. 800 to 1,000+ horsepower to the rear wheels! The average joe would put that in the wall faster that you can say nice car.:cooldude:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The problem with today's "exotics" is that they are too easy to drive with all their flappy paddles and traction control and stability control and ego control. All it takes is to simply mat the gas and go.

Of course this is not true for all uber-power rocket cars, like my favorite exotic. The Koenigsegg. 800 to 1,000+ horsepower to the rear wheels! The average joe would put that in the wall faster that you can say nice car.:cooldude:
you know that the new koenigsegg has a coyote? :laughlitt

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was lined up at a light at a certain "cruise" with a newer 911, a '70 'Cuda and a Trailblazer SS.. It was dark, the smell of high octane gas was in the air and we were all wearing sunglasses...

Alright, no sunglasses but when the light went green the TB SS left us all in it's wake. I think I nabbed 2nd but I'm not sure as I was too astonished by what I found out later was a supercharged nitrous sipping 850 hp AWD SUV.

So... I might have beaten a newer 911 (It was 3 lanes over..) but it was black, which IS the fastest color! I'm sure I helped a lot here with my tale.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
And the CCR/CCX used the 4.6 4valve!

Other than the architecture every piece in the engine is manufactured by Koenigsegg.
Yep. But this goes to show how good of a job ford did when they started working on 4v modular engines.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ferrari Testarossa, from a stop. We didn't have much space (and neither of us were seriously stupid enough to street race). I had him by about half a length when we backed off, just into 3rd. It was a fun, quick race... against a car that was plastered all over my walls when I was a kid. I had Mustang posters, too, so it was like destiny.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Lotta pretenders in the DC area that like to act like they have lots of money so I get to dance with older AMGs and Ms all the time. They learn quickly I'm not just some punk Mustang. One of my favorites was a S55 AMG, no clue on the year. I pulled 2 cars on him and he couldn't pass me til I let off at 120. In Mexico.
More than likely the pre-supercharged (99-02 I believe) version. These have a single dual tip exhaust. The newer (03-06) supercharged version has dual double tipped exhaust and about 100 more HP.

I came from a 2005 E55 AMG and I can tell you that the Mustang is fairly close for the 1/4 mile but would get left quickly after that.

The 600 lbs weight difference is why they are even close.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I came from a 2005 E55 AMG and I can tell you that the Mustang is fairly close for the 1/4 mile but would get left quickly after that.

The 600 lbs weight difference is why they are even close.
When I was in Mexico I raced one with double tips wide ass tires, loud exhaust I was probably 1.5 - 2 cars ahead and I would say M3, Benz etc would beat us at top end for sure. Our cars are great at 1/4 mile top speed is alot harder.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts