Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the "MUSTANG" windshield decal for my car. I'm going to put it on the rear windshield though because my tint guy couldn't get the tint to stick all the way up to the top (stupid black dots). So there is a noticeable space where the tint stops and then you can see all those dots and then the top of the windshield. So I wanted to get the decal to hopefully hide some of that annoying gap and maybe it'll look cool too.

So I noticed today that the decal is not 1 big sticker. Do I just peel off the one side, and set the decal down on the window, and then peel off the rest of the backing? Or should I measure it all out and put each letter separately?

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
heres what you do.

clean the glass really really good.

get some electric tape. tape the letters up where you want them

measure to make sure your center.

use a black permanent marker
place a tic Mark on 4 sides of the letters. dont mark the letter its self, just the surrounding adhesive, allowing the tic Mark to go on to the glass.

re measure to make sure
peel off and align marks one at a time, buy a float from your local part store,

lay the side of the decal on, and run the float over the decal while laying more down as you go to get a flat surface with no bubbles.

repeat

then take the float and put some pressure down.

peel off secondary backing.

in 2 weeks or so the marker will fade off.

Ive done many that way.

sounds harder than it is

·
Registered
682 Posts
sounds dumb hard i got a magnaflow performance exhaust one that i just slapped on the little pass window lol looks good n center to me

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sounds dumb hard i got a magnaflow performance exhaust one that i just slapped on the little pass window lol looks good n center to me
Haha yeah that would be easy. But this decal is 40 inches wide. It goes across the entire back window. And I'm very OCD when it comes to my car :D

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
Haha yeah that would be easy. But this decal is 40 inches wide. It goes across the entire back window. And I'm very OCD when it comes to my car :D

just take it slow and do it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
JEP, I own a sign company and you can use a spray bottle with soapy water. Take the backing off the decal and spray everything down with water (including the glass). Water won't hurt anything, but this will buy some time as you line it up. When it's where you want it, squeege it down and let it dry, then remove the top masking tape. Park it in the Sun or use a heat gun to dry it out faster. Any small bubbles will go away (if there are any) in time as all vinyl breaths except reflective.

I also do a lot of black vinyl strips on rear windows of Mustangs to cover up the dots at the top. Go to a local sign shop and get about 5' of black vinyl. Put that down first, then your letters, if you want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.