Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mustangs are winter machines!

7K views 31 replies 25 participants last post by  06Roadstarman 
#1 ·
JUST JOKING. holy cow lol. I think it was about 10 days ago or so, I had a visitation in Mt Vernon Iowa which is about 20 miles or so from my house. I didn't know it was supposed to do anything that night. I came home from basketball, showered and got all dressed up and left. When I left it wasn't doing anything, but by the time I got about a mile outside of Mt Vernon it was blowing across the road just enough to aggrivate you. When I started going up the hill to enter town my car went c0ck-eyed (does anyone use that word anymore? lol ) and I was like CRAP! NO! DO NOT WRECK THIS CAR! That was kind of an over-reaction because it wasn't that bad it just startled me because I wasn't expecting it to do anything.

Well after the visitation my dad (02 GT) couldn't get out onto the road from a stop-sign, lol. We backed up (which surprised me that we even could) and finally got on our way home, which I drove 20 almost the whole way and still slid around.

Long story short, we got like 10 inches of snow and alot of wind, which sadly means bye bye to my mustang for a while :( ....ahh! Impala's are so SLOW!!! lol, but at least it can get around in the snow.

I haven't been on here in a long time because of school and basketball, which is why I post this 10 days later, but I just thought I'd share my sorrows with you fine folks. Is it summer yet? :sosad:

See less See more
#2 ·
btw, I had trouble finding the switch to turn on the four wheel drive...anyone else had this problem?

#3 ·
I feel your pain, snow tires and a bit of weight in the back would help but if we are expecting more than 6 inches of snow, it stays home. :rollgrin:

#6 ·
I don't even try. I put mine up right after T-giving and it hasn't ever seen snow and won't while I own it unless my truck took a dump and that was the only way to get around......even then.....I got friends that can help until the truck is running again (knock on wood).

#7 ·
I've got 100lbs of weights in my trunk and i'm driving though everything i can. The only time i borrow my mother's escape is when i am physically unable to get my car out of the driveway its sliding so much. other than that, she gets driven in the snow and does me proud. I am also very cautious, more so then before when i used to own a truck.

#9 ·
Hahahaha.....I love the pics. Im from northern NY (Watertown just north of Syracuse check it out on google maps) in the area of the US where we get some of the largest deposits of lake effect snow. I have Ziebart Undercoating on my car to keep her from rusting out on me. Last year I drove my 07 Pony Package V6 through the snow with no issues. Granted that car was an automatic with a smaller engine but it still did an overall good job holding the road. Last year we had days where we experienced up to 5 feet in one day. She never failed.....so let me get to my point....I bought a 2008 Stick Shift GT in Vapor Silver.......she loves the snow. Threw some Michelin X-Ice tires on all four corners and 150 lbs in the back. Its not the best and yes I have to be damn careful but its definetly possible. Its a car and its meant to drive even if its a Mustang. I know most would think "OMG your destroying the thing!". I just love seeing peoples jaws drop when I pull in the driveway with my stang all wintered out....It really shuts them up.....If you cant be the wheel man than get the %^*$ out of the drivers seat. Man up.....Stangs will handle the snow if you can.:bigthumbsup ..........Im living proof

#22 ·
The way I see it people drove RWD cars without traction control and other stuff before and they were fine. I'm in Oneonta next to Binghamton and last Tuesday with that snow storm that we got I was driving to school in the snow with the stock tires and no weight in the trunk and I was ok except Thursday when my rear slid out on me while making a turn. You just have to know when to give it gas go slower and how to handle it when the **** does hit the fan. Not getting to cocky is also a big part of it cause if you do it will bite you in the ass.

#10 ·
lol great pics and stories. I know I CAN drive it in the winter, but I'm just too scared to ditch it. A kid hit my back bumper going like 5 mph and did like 670 bucks of damage, I'd hate to see the bill when I ditch it. Otherwise I know it can be done, but why drive it when I have a FWD impala lol. I drove an old crown vic rwd last year...might drive it some this year if I go to weightlifting because my bro is too lazy to get up to go to it, and he'll prob drive the impala

#11 ·
Actually it was only 4 days ago. We got about 13 inches in Ames. I got a picture of me standing in a drift up to my stomach that decided to form right in front of my side of the garage.

#12 ·
I agree with the guys that don't want to drive their Stangs in the snow. But if you don't have anything else, I don't blame you either. We have been having a TON of rain this last week in Cali, last weekend when it rained almost all day, I had to drive my Stang cause my wife's car needed a new battery and I didn't want to risk putting any strain on the starter or alternator, so we didn't drive it until we could get a battery. Then this weekend, I decided to just drive my Bronco around, I feel more at ease driving the Bronco through the rain than even my wife's car. My car hasn't been on the road since friday, and I usually drive my car on the weekends, this weekend she just got to be able to watch the rain fall down, as I PLOW through the puddles with Bronco!:bounce2:

#13 ·
My car did just fine in its first snow last week. Then I tried going north on the interstate and hit the slick ice. Fortunately, some hillbillies drove by with their 30 year old Chevy pickup and a tow strap. $100 later and I was back on the road, heading back to town from a canceled trip up north. I think I'll just be staying off the ice, no matter what I'm driving.

#14 ·
Nice pics... I can't stand the crazy and stupid people driving around in the summer so I don't even THINK of driving my car in winter. Mine stays safe and sound!! :yup:Winter always seems to last longer this way but its worth it. It will show off years down the road. :yelpleased:

#15 ·
Mine is up for the winter too. Snow and Mustangs don't mix. I've driven in the snow since I was 16 and even an experienced driver can wreck in the snow/ice. Even my 4runner, over 4K in weight, full time 4wheel drive and it can still get sideways if your not careful. Since it snowed here last week, been alot of wrecks. some think if you have a truck that's 4X4, you can do 80 in the interstate with snow, though they find out they're wrong. Though i did see two mustangs in a ditch. I had a silver S197 V6 this morning on my tail. I was doing 40 in a 45 but the bypass road by Mt Home wasn't that great, still some snow and ice on the road. Lots of idiots out there.

#32 ·
some think if you have a truck that's 4X4, you can do 80 in the interstate with snow, though they find out they're wrong. Lots of idiots out there.
A buddy of mine from Idaho (Inkom) says: "Four slidin hides is four slidin hides.....4-wheel drives don't mean **** then."

#17 ·
mustangs can be fun in the snow with stang like this one

#19 ·
#20 ·
I'm not going to SC my car any more. Now I'm saving up for flux capacitor conversion.

#21 ·
I just spoke with Brenspeed and they said they're working with KaleAutoCo on a Brenspeed Flux Capacitor Stage 3 Kit. It comes complete with Radiator Insulator, Adjustable powerband, and hollow chrome plug wires. Stage 4 includes an engine-oil bypass kit for maximum performance.

#23 ·
TRUST me, they are not winter machines.

It is now fixed, $500 later... but this is what happens when your 2007 Mustang meets ice when you have to swerve to avoid an idiot sliding through a stop sign infront of you.

Damn mailbox......came outta f'n nowhere!!!!

#24 ·
They're a pain to drive in the winter, but when I have to decide between my GT or a big ugly SUV...well I choose the GT...SUV's dont exactly get the girls swarming lol.

#28 ·
I love threads like this with people from southern states commenting on winter driving.

I firmly believe there's no such thing as a "bad snow car" only bad tires and bad drivers.

And it was really satisfying when everyone at work got plowed in, and I pulled right out in the snow-tired stang and left my "omgwhatareyougonnadriveinthewinter" coworkers digging out their FWD's...

#29 ·
My first car that I ever drove in the snow was my 85 lx 2.3 with a 5 speed. In maine.(1996) Only got stuck 1 time that winter. Had some snow tires on it and a couple of cinder blocks in the trunk. Ironically last year in kentucky I slid off the road twice in my 97 gt. auto, no snow tires. At least it wasnt snow that got me those times though it was black ice, and while turning both times (damn T-LOK). I guess what im getting at is I've been driving mustangs in the winter for quite awhile and as long as you slow down and use some common sense you should be fine. and by common sense I mean if its your first time driving in snow dont start in the middle of the worst snow storm you've ever seen Unless you live some where that it normally drops like 2 feet over night (why I dont live in Maine anymore)

#30 ·
I was going to throw out the "snow, what's that" line, but I took my drivers license test in several foot of snow back a few years ago. The guy was amazed we made it to the DMV in that mess and figured if I got there safely I was able to drive. Made me parallel park to show I could do that. It was in a 65 Mustang with too light of a rear even with the sand in the trunk.

#31 ·
Mustangs and snow dont mix indeed. I had to drive my Stang in the snow past few days.... well, really just the snow on the inside streets. As long as the snow isnt packed so high that my car is rubbing the snow underneath my Stang gets driven in the snow. The biggest thing IMO is getting some weight out back in the trunk. I have about 300 pounds in the trunk and boy does that help.... the rear end really keeps itself planted to the ground.... granted your gas milage goes to sh!t.

I bet if i had snow/ice tires on combined with some weight in the trunk i would have no problems.... the biggest thing for me is road clearance since my car is lowered 1.5" and i have chin spoiler in the front, lol.

But I agree if you can avoid driving the Stang in the snow/ice.... do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.