Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 GT and have noticed that this cold weather is bringing out the worst in my car. I know to expect some quirks to come up with the cold but i was wondering if anybody else in our great frozen north has had any problems to speak of in the cold? my main problem is a very frequent sqeak and ugly sound from my suspension which i hope goes away in the summer. does anybody else have any annoying winter problems to tell of?

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Sounds like the typical cold squeaking sounds. The colder, the harder your bushings and stuff will be. But usually due to the colder denser air, your car might run a little stronger or atleast mine do in the winter.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
problems?
in san diego we just get fresh cool air which my mustang loves!
and an occasional rain from some real fun :hihi:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
americans in the canada west section... soon they will be invading to take our oil haha. just kidden guys. yaa im sure my problems are just seasonal. its just really annoying cuz these problems turn a sexy car into just another hunk of frozen steel. anybody else have issues to share?

·
Registered
66 Posts
My passenger window part of the rubber has hardened so when i close my door it catches the to part of the frame area. Ill get ford to fix that as im still under warranty for that. Also when the interior is cold i hear all sorts of squeaks and moans from the plastic rubbing and that drives me nuts but luckily I have a shaker 1000... and that thing will drown out even a upset wife :bigthumbsup

Other than that I have had no issues starting ( even left unplugged at work for 8hrs straight in -40 weather there ) and no other issues i can tell other than its like driving on square blocks till the suspensions moves a lil in the morning hehe......

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hahaha, cold weather stories. Let's see, right now it's about -44F up here right now which really stinks.

What blackice said, square tires get old after awhile. And the worst part is not having autostart, going outside to start it sucks. Not only does it sound terrible trying to start it in the negative fourties, it feels like the steering wheel and transmission selector are frozen when starting to drive...they barely move without a lot more force than usual. I feel like something's going to break. And the sound system doesn't even want to turn on when it's that cold:weeps, so I can't help but hear all the new sounds I never heard the car had before. And my UDP's squeak like no other.

I definitely hate driving it when it's that cold, it puts so much more wear on the engine and stuff. That's why I made my cutoff -30F (try to).

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Even tho i dont have that hard of a winter. when ever it snows i leave my car incased in the snow till the weathers over. it protects my car from the wind and SALT FROM PASSING CARS! other than that i like the winter, and my mustang seems to as well.

Special Note: Never follow a dump truck! that goes for all seasons! One chipped the paint on the nose of my hood! its dead center too :(

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ya I picked up my bottle of touch up paint yesturday from my ford dealer for the nice little chips I know I will have after this winter. Also speaking of chips, wanna hear painful, I got one in my glass roof... its repaired but still... car was only 3 weeks old too :weeps

·
Registered
56 Posts
I put on a set of Yokie winters in a 215/65-17 flavor thinking I'd take it for a drive when the weather was nice and crisp. Now that the excitement of the car has worn off a bit, the salt, sand, and gravel being sandblasted off the front of the car and windshiled has left it sitting in the garage.

It is heated, I have huge amounts of beer in the fridge, and if I sit inside behind the wheel I can still watch Pinks or Passtime on the sat TV.:D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
LOL. just dont draw in the po-po's with reving. to them its still D&D :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yaa i can't really use my sound sytem either. i have an aftermarket deck installed and it squeals like a banshee when cold. The interior sqeaking is quite annoying but apparently my car developed a dry axle seal over the winter which i had re-lubed but it still has a bad habit of sqealing a bit. Summer can't come soon enough!! and thats bad luck about your roof there blackice. good thing you got it fixed up right away though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
LOL. just dont draw in the po-po's with reving. to them its still D&D :D

Only if the keys are in the car with ya hehe :bigthumbsup

And ya it was bad luck on the roof especially when I found out how much it was to replace ( got glass insurance right away after that haha )

Sand and stuff isnt to big a deal for me cause nothing like a good wax job and buff wont fix plus I wash the car no later than 3 weeks and more frequently if its warmer and the snow is melting and such but thats rare :shigrin its usually always colder than -20 and not much sand or salt sticks to the car then hehe

·
Registered
29 Posts
Last winter when I was driving mine my fuel injector wouldn't work, then occasionally my carburetor wouldn't work.. until I started heating the garage

·
Registered
14 Posts
Typical problems with the 8 hatch, Crappy battery (replaced), squeaky coils, and no traction. Sold that the other day and bought a 86 convertable, should be interesting if it does better of not,

·
Registered
83 Posts
They must be, my 4 banger gets stuck in 2 inches of snow. The snow makes it seam nose heavy and like there's a big torque monster in there. (2nd gear full-throttle 2-wheel-peel, almost red-line all the way through my parents acreage). I wouldn't want to imagine what a real mustang would feel like on snow and ice in town. Bad enough messing around on the farm. To you guys driving mustangs here in Edmonton, especially the convertable guys, I don't know whether to solute your die-hard attitude or shake my head. Ah, WTH :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
They must be, my 4 banger gets stuck in 2 inches of snow. The snow makes it seam nose heavy and like there's a big torque monster in there. (2nd gear full-throttle 2-wheel-peel, almost red-line all the way through my parents acreage). I wouldn't want to imagine what a real mustang would feel like on snow and ice in town. Bad enough messing around on the farm. To you guys driving mustangs here in Edmonton, especially the convertable guys, I don't know whether to solute your die-hard attitude or shake my head. Ah, WTH :bigthumbsup
The trick is to be easy on the gas, not full throttle in 2nd ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have driven my V6 all winter and have driven my 2.3 Turbo's in the winter! Too much fun to pass up! (especially freshly snowed parking lots when no one is around!)

·
Registered
693 Posts
I just picked up a 86 lx 5.0l, & I was supprised how good it was in the the snow. The posi sure helps & having enough tourque to take of in secound helps. I have a 06 v-6 & it has traction control & I would sooner drive the 5.0.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts