Ford Mustang Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been driving my 98 GT vert all winter in Calgary and only had a hard time in a slanted parking lot after the first really deep snow. Put some weight in the trunk and it's been fine since. Have Hankook IceBears all round and 4.10s. 2nd gear starts in the slippery stuff. Nice and warm in the coldest days.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Insane Edmonton Owners???? Yes we are!
I drove my convertible all last winter. Only real problem was P/S squeal on really cold mornings. Planning to swap out conventional fluid for synthetic P/S fluid.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Drove my mustang all winter this year... she had no problems whatsoever. Little bit slippery, but key is gotta go easy. Just had to throw a few sandbags in the back, and i seemed to be keepin' up with everyone else just peachy. Managed to kill the battery leavin' the stereo on when it was about - 25 ... crazy as we were, we had five of us pushing it in half a foot of snow attempting to push start er up :gringreen Good times.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I had a heck of a time my first winter, even with sandbags in the trunk. Bought a set of snow tires last year. Best investment ever. My Mustang never flinched.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I drove my car all winter. THe tops are lined so they do stay nice and warm. 4 good snow tires and I had little to no issues as long as I drove like I had a brain.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had to drive my Stang this past winter, first drive driving it in the snow lol i didn't get snow tires put on until late november so for awhile it was pretty tough... one night we were going out for supper and it was a little stormy.. well that was a mistake.. i ended up having to stop at a red light at an underpass. and i had to go uphill when the light turned green. The street was pure ice:happyhapp it was not too fun. I tried to gently drive it but that didn't work so i had to floor it and go threw 4 gears before the car started to move. I was pretty much straight sideways in the middle of the intersection while the light was turning red and i was moving at 5 km per hour hahaha

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yikes. I can't even imagine being able to hook up on that ice and snow. I can smell the smoldering clutch now....

To each their own though. If you drive it in the winter, good on ya! Keep the rubber down and all is good. Mine's parked, and remains until mother nature gets over her tantrum. Until then I have my little 4x4 s**t-box to bounce around the snow banks with :D

Out of curiosity though, what kind of snow-shoes do you put on that thing to have something even close to traction?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mustang good winter car

past two years i drove my 2005 Mustang GT in winter here in the Edmonton, the coldest most populated city this far north of the equator. I had cheap all seasons on the front and Nordic winters on the back. Never got stuck, in fact i couldnt get stuck. i drove through deep snow and ice and the nordics pushed me through. I commuted to the city every day, including through a week of -40 C on icey roads, past areas that had ditches full of cars and 4x4 trucks that had lost control. The paint was fine in the summer and it still looked brand new. these are great winter cars, reliable, and fun.

I just traded in for a 2011 GT/CS black on black and am currently driving that in winter. no snow yet but from what ive heard the PZERO M+S should cope pretty well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
past two years i drove my 2005 Mustang GT in winter here in the Edmonton, the coldest most populated city this far north of the equator. I had cheap all seasons on the front and Nordic winters on the back. Never got stuck, in fact i couldnt get stuck. i drove through deep snow and ice and the nordics pushed me through. I commuted to the city every day, including through a week of -40 C on icey roads, past areas that had ditches full of cars and 4x4 trucks that had lost control. The paint was fine in the summer and it still looked brand new. these are great winter cars, reliable, and fun.

I just traded in for a 2011 GT/CS black on black and am currently driving that in winter. no snow yet but from what ive heard the PZERO M+S should cope pretty well.
i'm on my 3rd winter running Pirelli all seasons from the factory.

You have to drive smart and heavy snowfall does the car in (with winters it'll just sink any way too). Though aside from that the car is great in the winter on them!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wow I could't even imagine. I have a 06 Lexus GS430 (rear wheel drive v8 larger sedan) and even with winter tires its brutal to drive. I recently bought a 2000 GT convertible and didn't even think it would be possible to drive in Edmonton. You guys are brave!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Mine is asleep all winter in a heated garage. I took it out once in winter just to see what it was like and I got stuck on my flat driveway. I'm sure the Eagle's aren't known to be good in the snow. Now however with the incredible winter and spring we are having - it just might be time to hear the sound of it again.

Winter is a great time to put all the little extra goodies on it. This winter was LED lights in the rear. With the sequential harness it was a bit screwed up but some diodes fixed it up nicely. Now LED reverse lights and some LED strips in the foot well tied to the overhead lights. And the list of 'wants' continues....

21 - 32 of 32 Posts