Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had sinus trouble the last few days and have felt pretty much like crap. Let me clarify that I am not taking any medications that can cause drowsiness as I would rather suffer with my symptoms than take a chance on driving impaired. Coming home from work in moderate traffic, just minding my own business and cruising along at about 75mph, what should I notice in my rearview but a grey 99-04 GT riding pretty close to my rear. Not enough to make me mad, just enough to make it known that he wanted to run 'em. I have been seeing a lot of 05/06 GTs but rarely see another 99-04 GT and have never come across one that wanted to play. Where we were, however, there were other cars around, so we couldn't. I gave it a little gas and maneuvered my way through traffic - not cutting anybody off or swerving erratically, just trying to get clear. At first, I thought the other guy had changed his mind because by the time I cleared traffic and had open road ahead in both lanes, he was nowhere to be seen. I later realized that he was a few years younger than me - probably mid twenties - and maybe not as experienced in negotiating traffic. I had given up on having fun and quit watching my rearview when he suddenly whipped by me, revving as he passed. I didn't consider this a fly-by, but more of a greeting since he slowed down to allow me to match pace. I don't really road race and considered just letting the opportunity pass. If it had been any other car, I probably would have, but I couldn't resist the chance to let our two ponies run. I matched with him but he was quicker on the draw and downshifted and punched it before I did - not an excuse, I was just slow. He pulled on me by about half a car length, but I soon matched speed and might have been creeping up by centimeters (he had a passenger, so a little more weight) by the time we had to shut them down, because of upcoming traffic, at around 95mph. I fell in behind him because of upcoming traffic in my lane and we accelerated, and after about a mile he pulled right and then fell in behind me (I think to better hear my exhaust as we accelerated again) and I gave him the 'thumbs up' to acknowledge his kill as I passed. We eventually came to a traffic jam because of construction and were able to roll side by side and talk a little bit. He and his passenger were grinning from ear to ear, as was I. His car was basically unmodded. He had his exhaust unbolted because they were getting ready to install an H-pipe, and I told them about the minor mods I have. They both said my exhaust sounded good and grinned even bigger, nodding their appreciation, when I told them that I had come two exits past mine just because I was in the mood to play. We both revved one more time in the 'V8 salute' as I prepared to finally exit. All in all, there was very little racing actually involved - and I got killed in that. Mostly, though, it was two Mustang owners respecting each other's rides. The best part is that the adrenaline and excitement of finally getting to match up with another 99-04 GT made me temporarily forget my sinus troubles and feel a whole lot better.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
good grief, is there an audio version of this i can listen to?

glad to hear you both had the respect for the others rides. that's what it is all about.

(yeah, black 3000gt going south on 75 yesterday in McKinney, I am referring to you. that's another story I prefer to keep to myself.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.