Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Distributor installation causing undependable hot rod ? Like my 1984 Hot Rod Lincoln started many times today running until putting Mark 7 into gear. On going mystery about my Lincoln Mark Vii running hard and fast for the first 20 minutes then stalls and will not fire . Possibilities of ignition timing,a failed coil, ohm rating of the coil. Starting only to run for a few more feet smelling of raw gas. Mark 7 had just brought me home returning after my first test drive stopping just short of the driveway . Felt the ignition coil it was hot. Spare coil installed in less than 10 minutes , Lincoln starts and runs to the garage like a champ. Lap time for though maybe the problem is the coil voltage? Coil ohms out at 1.5 which require to have a ballast resistor. Found my spare ballast resistor installed at the base of the regulator. All new wires completed a clean harness to the distributor and the coil. Now was time for the second Mark VII test drive .Lincoln has idled about 10 minutes at the house then I headed for the airport. Sounds good, feels fast couple miles to get the Mark 7 warm up . Looking all around for johnny law , looks safe in all directions. Line mark 7 up to punch the heck out of the Lincoln . First gear second gear third gear 5000 RPM's easy buried the speed o meter. Which on the digital dash is just 85 mph. Yet Lincoln running like the old school race car just like I planned to build. All Good until we return to the driveway. Problem still persists choking Mark7 up the drive way a start at a time to the garage. Real problem trying to start to backup moving just a few feet and then a stall. Checking the coil for temperature with my finger , best news coil is not hot . This would seem like a success ,yet the Mark7 is wont run. With the ballast resistor now completely installed I install the other coil .Again ignition coil has the same symptom. Carburetor smelling of gas and my patience being tried. Still unable to keep car running when put into gear stalling over and over.

·
Registered
41,826 Posts
Welcome aboard.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts