Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, so after looking around for a while, I found an intercooled 2.3 turbo out of a 1988 Ford Thunderbird for $350! I have a few questions about the whole deal:

1. The guy had an LB3 computer. Would it work with a t-5? Because I know it was out of an automatic coupe

2. I haven't bought it yet becuase I wasn't sure if that was the right one and he was asking $100 for it. Does $100 sound fair?

3. Am I going to need a bigger fuel pump or is the one in my 1990 N/A 2.3l Mustang going to work?

4. Do I need the wiring harness from the Turbocoupe, or can I again use the original out of the Mustang?

5. Also, I am just wondering what you think I should offer him for the thunderbird hood (becuase it has the scoops to feed the turbo). I am not sure what I should offer him, if you have an idea what it should be worth, let me know. And remeber I only need it for the scoops.

I think that's all for now. Thank-you in advance for any light you may be able to shed, Steve!

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
why not just go with a 5.0 and skip all this?

·
Registered
960 Posts
$100 for an LB3 is over priced i bought my LA3 for $35 if you can find one for $50 thats a good price.

Yes you will need a bigger fuel pump at least a 195lph if not an even better 255lph.

No you dont need the wiring harness just the VAM pigtail

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay, thank-you.

And I don't really enjoy the comments from the 5.0 people. 2.3 turbos are less common (I don't like having the same thing as everyone else, lol), get better gas mileage:shigrin, and there would probably just as much work in doing the 5.0 swap, if not more than.

But anyway... The LB3 will work with the t-5? Or should I shop around for an LA3/LA2/LA(something) computer. I'm sure I can talk this guy down to at least $50 if it will work with the 5 speed.

Also, and this might sound a little stupid, what is the VAM pigtail? I looked it up and all I could find is the definition of it (vane air flow meter). Maybe you could post a picture of the VAM and the 'pigtail' to make sure that I got it with my motor.

·
Registered
51 Posts
vam

yeah the VAM is the vane airflow meter.. Its like an old school mass air.. But the vane has a flapper door in it and it is a lot bigger than traditonal maf sensor, the harness is a 4 wire conn.

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
The lb-3, 8ua and few other computer will work fine. If you pull codes on it after conversion it will come up problems in trans codes. Which is understandable. Yes overpriced. I would not put in turbocoupe hood scoops in. Big pain and top mount intercooler not very good. Think about at a stop light no air into scoop and above the turbo. When you take off. How hot is that first air charge. Go front mount. Here is link to video's how I did it with a cheap e-bay intercooler and exhaust U-bends.
intercooler install pictures by mgman75 - Photobucket
One video show intercooler mounted higher than other. Mount it lower. Bumper won't go on mounted high.
Fuel pump get a 255 HP/HV pump. And will be fine. Car will run fine on stock Mustang pump. But change it real soon to prevent car running lean.
You just need the vam pigtail and pin into harness. Use the Mustang injector harness also. Use the Mustang fuel rail also.
Vam is this part. Under the mount. Vane air meter and Vam same thing. Technically Vane air meter is correct wording.
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w224/mgman75/100_5932.jpg
What year motor going into.?
Here is link for the swap. I like it. It also has info on the vacuum line and boost control vacuum diagrams.
FlemWorld

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The year of the turbo motor is an 88 out of a turbocoupe. The year of the mustang is 1990 (obviously 2.3, lol).

Okay so I will be looking to getting the vam pigtail off of the turbocoupe wiring harness. Would the VAM pigtail connect right to the computer?

Thank-you everyone thus far. Too excited!

·
Registered
690 Posts
You may need the VAM also. I don't see it in the pics unless it's in that pile with the airbox. Here's a pic of the VAM pigtail.............

The VAM pigtail plugs into the VAM and you'll need to splice the 4 wires into your Mustang harness. The Flemworld link will show you exactly how to go about it.
As stated, the LB3 is way overpriced. Pick up a 255lph fuel pump at jdsperformance. Best price on the net........
Walro 255 lph fuel pump

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
LB series is fine. That one is overpriced as others have already stated.

You can get the pigtail for the VAF meter from www.forced4.com if you can't get it off of the TC. Personally I would get the EEC harness from it as well. You can at least salvage the sensor pigtails off of it. Just my $.02

You can get away with a 190 LPH fuel pump as well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The swap on my car required a lot of wiring. It is recommended while you have the engine out to do a quick rebuild of the basics.

I'd suggest bigger fuel injectors too.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
The EEC can only go so far with the injectors before it is running too rich and actually hampering perfomance. Ford took a lot of time to research this. You MIGHT get away with a couple of pounds higher, but then I don't know of anyone who makes a 37#-38# injector.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The swap on my car required a lot of wiring. It is recommended while you have the engine out to do a quick rebuild of the basics.

I am actually going to rebuild the engine, get it machined and port and polish the head. Also, I am putting a roller cam shaft in it from my parts car.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
286 Posts
The info on the Flemworld web site is the best I have found as far as swapping a Turbo Coupe engine into the 2.3L Mustang. The wiring diagrams, vacuum diagrams, and other info are very complete and easy to follow. This write up has some good info and the pictures are helpful too:

Turbo Swap How To--Step by Step Instructions

We decided on the Turbo Coupe motor swap instead of a 5.0 because of the fuel economy of the 2.3. With the car being my son's daily driver fuel economy is a priority. Not to mention the 2.3L turbo can make significant HP/TQ when set up correctly. And the durability of the 2.3L is a plus. I also like the lighter weight of the 2.3 engine.

·
Registered
690 Posts
+1 on Flemworld! Out of all the sites on the internet, Flemworld wins hands down! It's written in plain english, very easy to understand and covers wiring for the EGR and premium fuel switch, also!

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have been told that Pin 49, orange wire, needs to be grounded to the turbo compressor housing in order for the O2 sensor to work correctly. I do not see that mentioned on any write ups out there. I do see stock '88 Mustang 2.3L wiring diagrams with that orange wire as an O2 sensor ground but I do not see that wire under the hood of my car. Do I need to run a new wire from Pin 49 to the compressor housing or is that wire in my stock harness some where already?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I have been told that Pin 49, orange wire, needs to be grounded to the turbo compressor housing in order for the O2 sensor to work correctly. Do I need to run a new wire from Pin 49 to the compressor housing or is that wire in my stock harness some where already?
This is correct, and yes you do. I don't know if you presently have anything going to PIN 49.
Also, it is best to shield that wire, as it is located around HOT stuff

·
Registered
286 Posts
This is correct, and yes you do. I don't know if you presently have anything going to PIN 49.
Also, it is best to shield that wire, as it is located around HOT stuff
Thanks, when I pull the kick panel I'll check Pin 49 and see if anything is there or not.

Wonder why no one ever mentions this is any of the write ups out there? I have been told the engine won't run quite right without the ground wire in place so you would think the swap write ups would advise to hood it up?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.