Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello my name is daniel and i just purchased a 1993 mustang 5.0 and i just noticed it is smoking and smells like gas. im lost this is only my second 5.0 so im not sure whats wrong or how to fix it i can tell you its carburated has a demon carb. edelbrok preformer rpm intake, full msd ignition, 6al box, e303 cam, supposed to be flat top pistons not sure i havnt taken the car apart so i dont know what true or false but the car runs like a raped ape most of the time but i stomped on it to pass someone going 40 in a 55 and it bogged down them took off again i dont know whats wrong my coolant is slap full and i havnt had to add anything there i noticed i was a little low on oil though so if you guys have the time and any idea please help i dont want this thing to blow up before i can get it fixed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It sounds like you're not getting a clean burn on one or more cylinders. Some questions:
Does the car idle okay?
Does it have any kind of miss?
Any intake or exhaust backfires?

If the car is not missing, I'd start with the carburator. I don't have any experience with the Demon carbs, but in general, it could be tuned rich or flooding.

If it is missing, pull the plugs one at a time and look for damage and fouling. If one or two have more gas smell than the others, those may be the problem cylinders. Likewise, any fouling or a damaged plug could mean a cylinder isn't firing.

There's alot of other ignition stuff to check, also, but I'd start simple with these basics. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Demon carbs are a pain in the ass, and it sounds to me the adjustment is way out. If the smoke is black, she's burning rich. Demon carbs, adjust the opposite as a Holley. Instead of turning the screws clockwise for your air/fuel ratio on the blocks, with a Demon you have to turn in the opposite direction. With a Holley you would turn the screw until the motor stumbled, then start turning back out until the tach goes up no more and smooths out. You would do this at each corner, with a Demon carb you have to turn the screws in the opposite direction until the motor stumbles then turn back out til it smooths out and the tach won't go no higher. Then take and adjust the idle, and you should be all set. If it doesn't do the trick, junk the Demon and buy a Holley. I've been in your shoes before, and had to do the exact same thing, Mike. :bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
39 Posts
I actually went to an Edlebrock because of similar problems and it runs awesome almost right out of the box. I rebuilt a Holley 600 and it ran rich. I adjusted it by the book and got the rich running out but it didnt run smooth at low RPMs... (ran great at WOT). Switched to a Edlebrock and nothing but smooth running at any RPM :bigthumbsup

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.