Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a mustang lx with a 2.3. It is hard to start and if it starts it will run a few minutes then die. Then it is hard to start again. I justed changed to fuel pressure regulator but still have problem. It is fuel injected also. DOnt know what else to add. Anybody have any ideas? When I do have it running it leaves like a black soot on the ground at the tail pipe. Thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
lets just assume the year doesnt matter.

your car needs 3 things to run:
gas
spark
air

have you started with these basics?

I would imagine that since you have the car starting you do for the most part.
Things for you to get tested:

COIL: these coils can usually be tested at a auto parts store. Take it off, get it tested for free. sometimes when these coils get old they don't work properly. then they warm up and quit.

IGNITION CONTROL MODUAL: This modual should be mounted on the upper intake/lower intake manifold. it is a 2 plug part. get it tested. the ignitioncm relays the timing adjust when the engine is cold, warm, and running. as well as retarding rpms in the high end. If this is bad it can cause these intermittent problems.

you might want to think about maybe trying to change the crank sens. good first thing to do besides testing.

look at the basics of your ignition system. wires? spark plugs? pull them out and look at them to determine there condition.
a whole bunch of small problems can cause a hell of a problem.

you might want to think about maybe trying to change the crank sens. good first thing to do besides testing.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
lets just assume the year doesnt matter
Let's just assume it does, because:

IGNITION CONTROL MODUAL: This modual should be mounted on the upper intake/lower intake manifold. .
There is no such animal on the cars with a distributor

There is also no such animal on the cars with a distributor

This is why I asked in the first place.....

·
Registered
711 Posts
Let's just assume it does, because:

There is no such animal on the cars with a distributor

There is also no such animal on the cars with a distributor

This is why I asked in the first place.....

:evilchuck What? You don't know?!?

·
Registered
115 Posts
ok then, lets assume its an 89-92 2.3L.

and if it is an dis 2.3L then its on the distributor.

sorry im trying to give a man some help.
ill leave it to you from now on. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
is there coolant in the oil or vice versa?
check the oil to see if it looks like a milkshake... you either have a bad head gasket or cracked block

Sounds like you are getting fuel and spark, as the car will sometimes run... but you might have a component failing. Has anyone check to see if the OBD is showing any codes?

Let us know ;)

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
:evilchuck What? You don't know?!?
Nope, that is why I asked in the first place chuckles.

sorry im trying to give a man some help.
ill leave it to you from now on. :)
And that is why we are here, to help out. I was not discarding your stepping up to help, but there are some real differences when trying to troubleshoot the 2 different set-ups and you can really confuse someone like 93foxbody2.3 if you give them the wrong info.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
back to the initial problem...

Have you run codes?
It sounds like it is running pig-fat on fuel.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
you can really confuse someone like 93foxbody2.3
:hihi: hahaha, I think that might have been a little stab, lmao! but let's not start something again.

93foxbody2.3:
Take it lightly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.