Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2001 cobra with intake/exhaust. My cousin and his friend came over my appt earlier today to chill and what not, and his friend starts talking all this **** on my stang. He has a cobalt ss/sc with Intake header/downpipe, exhaust, 60 lb injectors, 2.7 inch pully and some cooling mods. It sounded nice but I kept thinking its still a cobalt and he just kept on talking on and on. So we went on the bypass and did 2 passes. both were from 40mph roll and I got smoked... Wtf? are these things really that quick? after the races he told me he takes evos from rolls all the time. Can this be true?

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Those things stock are 260 bhp. The injectors and other mods are probably pushing it well above 300. Factor that plus the weight savings and that's why you lost. Strap on a Kenne Bell and you'll leave him crying in his little tin can.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Yea i wonder if he would still want to play if ya have that kb. Sounds like hes got a lotta mods though.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I pretty sure the supercharged ones come with like 205 hp stock and the new turbo version comes with 260 hp.

with all his mods and the car being lighter it is very believeable they he can beat a stock '01 cobra.

this a day in age where boosted 4 cylinders cars are no joke.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah those things pull pretty hard. I bet if it was from a dig I would have rapped him out of the 60 foot.

·
Registered
92 Posts
yeah i had a ss pull next to me last summer talking smack,i was like dont waste my time,225hp cobalt!? and kids like i kill ls1s and hang with ls2s!40mph roll i spun and went sideways but that ss took off so fast i was like wtf???(i put down 342whp in my gt)did a burn out, 40mph roll again beat him barely by 2 lenghts?wtf? but with a another burn out and from a dig i got him by 6-7 lenghts! it was stage 2 ss 295whp!! fast little thing

·
Registered
74 Posts
fwd sucks for drag racing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey guys, im from the cobaltss.net forums. after reading this i had to post something. lol. the guy who said something about a twincharged cobalt... lol!! and the guy who said something about a stage 2 balt with 295... lol!! just a lil heads up guys. a stock cobalt is 205 hp with 200tq. the new balts coming out are turboed with 260hp. so props to the guy who got that right. a stage 2 balt will maybe make 230-245. we dont make as much as you guys think, we are just lighter and supercharged.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i run a 2.7, 60s, intake, fullexhaust, water meth... etc. i pull mustangs all day. i dont even make close to 300. that is joke. at 300 with just our supercharger, our cars would blow up cause it gets so hot. which is why need so many damn cooling mods. your friend that had a 2.7 was probably pushing 250-275

·
Registered
81 Posts
hmmmm

ok so lets have a fair 08 vs 08 mustang vs balt race any factory stock cobalt vs any factory stock mustang im talking whatever is the fastest factory cobalt for 08 vs the fastest 08stang??? you thin they would wanna race then?? shelby vs. cobalt?
ill give this guy props though he didn't come on talking **** like some people, n those things are nice but i still would't drive one ill leave that up to my girlfried "who still prefers my 95 gt over her cobalt ss" thank you very much

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Most of the stock Cobalt SS/SC are dynoing around 205-210 fwhp. They were severely under-rated from the factory. The new Cobalt SS is now turbo'd and is running 260hp. It should be a monster once the aftermarket catches up with it.

I like the styling and I definitely wouldn't mind owning one during the winter or as a dd. It would be quick and able to drive in the winter. lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd like to add something to this. I owned a 2005 Cobalt SS/SC. The car had stage 1 SC upgrade to 42lb injectors, 3.0 pully, GMPP borla 2.5 inch cat back, torque dampener and CM 400 six puck clutch. The car ran a 13.9 second pass on stock tires from a dig at Race city. Yes they are quick but are a ***** to lanch from a dig. From a 40 roll though the torque and excelleration is nothing to laugh at. Now with the power to weight ratio we would definatly pull on a slightly modded mustang. The coby only weighs in at 2800 pounds where as the GT is 3800. Now wonce I added some cooling mods and dropped the pully to a 2.85 inch and tuned the car it was insane. It was almost imposible to lanch good from a dig on street tires as it would smoke them in first and second. Now at a 40 roll in first the car is pretty much in the power band and will pull quickly to 7200 rpm and 280 hp to the wheels. (mine dyno'd at 280 - 285 hp at the wheels in a third gear pull) Once you shift from first to second the rpm will drop from 7200 to 4800 still leaving you in the powerband and it will pull hard. So in all fareness they are quick cars once properly modified and with a good driver.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
That 05 stock wouldn't of been a challenge for a 01 Cobra, but like mentioned, modded and only 2800lbs, that weight savings will make up for not having much fwhp. I've seen a stock one at the track and was not impressed at all. I really think a SC 4 banger should be more than 205hp stock, though if they are underrated, then good. im pretty sure those are on the market to compete more with the Ricers. I'm glad they are 260 now. whoop up on the ricers. but if i do see a stock or stage 1 or 2 want to run...i'm down for it. I wish my car was 2800lbs. If would feel like i was pushing 600rwhp then, Lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cobalts are't so bad

Hey guys, I have a supercharged cobalt. The facts are that the stock 205 horse car is underrated and pulls hard, 0 to 60 in about 6 seconds. The stage 2 is 245 horse and seriously wicked for an inline 4, it will tear to 60 from a dead stop in 5.5 seconds, which is the same time as the 2000 Mustang GT with a 5 speed. Now considering the Cobalts biggest problem of wheel spin at take off, you can imagine what kind of power it has when it’s already moving. You got to love the supercharger, POWER ON DEMAND! No turbo lag! Yes the new turbo coblat is 260 horse and 260 pound feet of torque, it has launch control and no lift shift, but it can't beat the stage 2, it gets to 60 in 5.8, not really much of an improvement from the stock supercharged. There was a twin charged version of the cobalt built by Gravana, it has both a turbo and a supercharger, it makes 300 horse, but it was not a production car. With mods on the Cobalt supercharged stage 2 or the turbocharged cobalt (especially cooling mods cause these cars run hot), you can expect to hang with todays muscle cars if they are stock, but we can’t hold a candle to you V8’s when you start modding. And I just want to say thanks for giving us Inline 4 cylinders some credit instead of calling us crap. Yes it’s a cobalt, but it comes with leather and all options, its quite comfortable to drive, decent on fuel, and the suspension was built and tuned by the Corvette division of GM. Its amazing how far 4 cylinder cars have come. And if you can keep an open mind, go take one for a test drive, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Well I own a 99 Cobra vert. Heavily modded suspension(like give a porsche a run for it's money modded) but not alot done for motor mods. I'm sitting at 301rwhp, and 300ftlbs of torque. But out of all the smaller cars I like the Cobalts and the newer Tiburons. I just like how they look. It's nice to see Chevy come out with something thats fast thats no as expensive as a vette. But I hear ya Tylerhay, once I throw on the Hellion kit I'll be sitting in the realm of 550-600rwhp. Not much would keep up with 600hp from a 40mph roll.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Woah, that's a breath of fresh air. Who woulda thought some other car owner could come in a Mustang forum and NOT talk ****. You get these guys with g35's all the time trolling forums. I actually had no idea those cars were anything to even bother with. I just figured they sported a cobalt up a little bit and slapped SS on it. Good info!

:bigthumbsupDefinite props for no trash talking.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Those SS Cobalts are pretty slick cars:bigthumbsup

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.