Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is a daily driver, yet i have a cold air intake and my car is tuned with an sct tuner, i dont drive with a heavy foot and i dont usually rev past 2000 RPM before shifts. Even in these conditions my car gets around 14mpg and its a 3.8L v6 engine, i recently changed the fuel filter and always get oil changes before 3000 miles. Does anybody have any idea why I get such bad gas mileage

·
Registered
795 Posts
What tune do you have on?

·
Registered
795 Posts
That might be one of the reasons... Try a tune thats better with fuel like something that gives you better economy and see what your MPG turns out 2 be after that.

R

·
0 Posts
That might be one of the reasons... Try a tune thats better with fuel like something that gives you better economy and see what your MPG turns out 2 be after that.
Tunes will do nothing for or against your fuel mileage. "Economy" tunes are a myth.

Edit: Are you driving in traffic/city/highway? In town with traffic I usually average 14-16mpg. What wheels/tire do you have? Has your MAF every been cleaned?

·
Registered
795 Posts
:doh: I feel stupid for believing all that CRAP haha damn

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have bf goodrich tires with factory wheels, and i drive mostly on the highway, and im not sure wut the MAF is

R

·
0 Posts
If you are getting 14mpg on the highways something is very wrong.
The MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor) is located inline with the air intake. It is the little black plastic ring with wires coming out of it. Look up how to clean it properly.
Have you checked your air filter recently? Last time you changed out plug wires and spark plugs?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i got my cold air intake like 5000 miles ago, so the filter is still good. when i was attaching the mass air flow sensor to the intake piping it was clean, and never been touched by any of the previous owners and i handled it gently. i think i will try getting a new set of spark plugs and wires. I trust americanmuscle.com so i think i will get there taylor street 8mm wires but which one of AM's plugs should i get.

by the way, if my catalytic convertors are clogged, would i be smelling excess gas and exhaust fumes

·
Registered
721 Posts
Ehhh i dont realy know..i dont think so..but when u give it gas and it doesnt accelerate like u want it to..that is problem your cats

R

·
0 Posts
If it was your cats you would be able to smell fumes.

All of AM's plugs are 8 sets for GT's. I would just go to your local auto parts stores and get some Motorcraft coppers or Bosch coppers. There is no need to run super expensive plugs.

·
Registered
313 Posts
may be a stupid question but did you put your maf back in correctly? lol something is wrong if your getting 14 hwy. what was your fuel economy before the CAI?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i didnt really calculate my gas mileage before i put in the cold air, but at that time the cold air helped my gas mileage a little. Still i dont think my gas mileage was that good before. I bought my car with 72,000 miles on it, the car was never abused and i bought it for $4300

By the way, AM's spark plugs come in a set of 8 for the v8 mustangs but the descriptions say it fits 99-04 v6's also.

R

·
0 Posts
They will work but, there is not point paying $30 for a set of plugs when Bosch coppers run $1.99 each at the local Autozone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.