Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 GT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So I posted a couple of weeks ago about my new project. I was looking for the entire radiator core support assembly. This is a 2005 GT which my boss gave to me after it sat in his driveway for 5 years under a tarp. He rear-ended an SUV so the front end was damaged but the engine still ran. Well, up until about 3 years ago. Here is my progress so far:
New injectors, fuel pump, fuel filter, got radiator, core support, and fenders.
I removed all spot welds to get damaged core support off and I'm currently prepping salvage yard support to be welded in.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Hood Automotive tire Shelf Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
05 GT Premium, satin silver over red
246 Posts
Nice to see a car get saved. I repaired an '04 convertible with basically the same damage a couple years ago. Not particularly difficult but hugely time consuming. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
2005 GT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I posted a couple of weeks ago about my new project. I was looking for the entire radiator core support assembly. This is a 2005 GT which my boss gave to me after it sat in his driveway for 5 years under a tarp. He rear-ended an SUV so the front end was damaged but the engine still ran. Well, up until about 3 years ago. Here is my progress so far:
I removed all spot welds to get damaged core support off and I'm currently prepping salvage yard support to be welded in.
View attachment 783448
View attachment 783449
View attachment 783450
Nice to see a car get saved. I repaired an '04 convertible with basically the same damage a couple years ago. Not particularly difficult but hugely time consuming. Keep up the good work!
How did it come out!? I’d love to see a pic. And yes, very time consuming but for me, that’s what makes it fun.

·
Registered
05 GT Premium, satin silver over red
246 Posts
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

It turned out great. Had less than 60k on it when the previous owner drove it under the back end of a pickup. The driver's side front corner took the brunt of the damage. I bought a parts car and transferred over the rad support, left inner fender apron, some under hood parts and all of the front end body panels except for the right fender. Fortunately, the damage was all above the bumper beam so I didn't have to mess with the frame rails. I probably didn't earn much more than minimum wage for my time but I learned a lot. If I can find a nice S197 GT500 or Boss 302 with similar damage for the right price, I would definitely do it again.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Curious. Was this vehicle declared a total loss by the insurance company? Or there was no insurance company involved, and your boss just park it after the accident?

Reactions: Jaime8083

·
Registered
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
2,750 Posts
A free GT is awesome.
Please do paint that red radiator core support before you put it in. It clashes real bad against the silver. For a quick/easy/cheap refinishing I would give it a washing and then take a scotch bright and go over the whole thing with it, wash it again, and then spray it with gray primer and a rattle can or two of color match paint. They sell the color match in larger rattle cans not just the small ones.

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
Make sure that you drain the fuel tank and flush out the fuel rails, supply and return lines. Old ethanol gas absorbs water then turns to shellac- will destroy the engine. Don't ask me how I know...

·
Registered
2005 GT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Curious. Was this vehicle declared a total loss by the insurance company? Or there was no insurance company involved, and your boss just park it after the accident?
No insurance company involved. My boss knew he was at fault and paid out.

A free GT is awesome.
Please do paint that red radiator core support before you put it in. It clashes real bad against the silver. For a quick/easy/cheap refinishing I would give it a washing and then take a scotch bright and go over the whole thing with it, wash it again, and then spray it with gray primer and a rattle can or two of color match paint. They sell the color match in larger rattle cans not just the small ones.
Yes sir. Absolutely. That is the plan. I was just mocking it up to make sure everything lines up. Trust me, I do plan on cutting corners. Again, this is my first real project (I’ve built motorcycles before but never a car) so all comments are more than welcome.

Make sure that you drain the fuel tank and flush out the fuel rails, supply and return lines. Old ethanol gas absorbs water then turns to shellac- will destroy the engine. Don't ask me how I know...
Thanks Yadkin, that’s the first thing I did. And yes, the fuel smelled terrible. What was a pain is that it had almost a full tank. I purchased a harbor freight fluid pump and emptied it out and did as you said. With fresh gas, it fired right up.

·
Headquarters
393 Posts
View attachment 783448 View attachment 783449 View attachment 783450
Best of luck! Hope it’s coming a long fine. It’s gonna be a treat once you’re done putting it back together

·
Registered
2005 GT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you. I’m learning a lot about the car as I go. Since that radiator mounting bracket isn’t welded in yet, and I have the radiator out I have access to the whole front of the engine. So, right now the plan is to replace the timing chains, guides and phasers and a performance cam. I just need to figure out what I can get, along with a tuner that keeps me CARB compliant since I live in CA.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts