Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i need some help. Ok, ill start from the begining. I put some underdrive pulleys on my car which already has the JLT intake, and the SCT tuner... Well got her all done and was out driving it a few days later... Well i pulled in the the gas station, shut the car off and steam was blowin everywhere. It was not doing this util i shut the car off. I know i should be watching my guages but hey... its a fn brand new car so who would expect this.... Anyway, i pop the hood and its blowin steam n water out the plastic overflow jug lid.. I thought WTF?? Well i noticed that my fan wire had popped off, thus leading to the overheating... So i plugged it back in...GOOD THIS TIME, waited a lil bit for her to cool off, started it and topped her back of with water and all is fine again.... Well am i paranoid or what? The car still runs good, but it seems to have lost some of its zip. I have heard of what people are saying "Safe Mode". Is that what im experiencing? I have no lights on and i have even put the stock tune in, disconnected the battery for 30 min, pos and neg, and re uploaded the 93 tune. Still seems to be the same. Is this something that only the dealer can do or is the car fine and im just freaked out... I swear though it does seem more sluggish... kinda like the timming is retarded?? Please help. Thanks, and ya i know im a flippin retard about the fan, so cut me some slack on that please.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
It's probably in your mind. Did you have any codes? You may want to lower the fan speed as well. I'd imagine it gets pretty hot during the summer in Texas. You'll know when you are in save mode. There should be a little wrench that lights up on the dash panel and you will litteraly be "limping" to where you need to get to. I'd doubt that your engine has screwed the pooch after overheating just once.

Take it to a dealer or a performance shop if that will give you better piece of mind. No sense in worrying yourself unnecessarily.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
If the car had gone into failsafe, you'd have known it. I had mine overheat when my electric water pump failed and it didn't do anything. I wouldn't worry too much. If you do start to see traces of antifreeze in the oil then it's time to worry.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does it seem sluggish even when the engine is stone cold?
It actually runs better when its cold. like when you first start it.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Make sure the CAI's plastic connections are tight, and did not warp due to higher than normal temps from when the engine overheated.

G

·
Keep an eye on it but you're probably ok. If it only started steaming and spewing once you turned the car off then that's a lot better than that happening while you were driving. Keep an eye on the temp guage for a while and make sure it's not creeping up at any point.

·
Registered
137 Posts
you should be fine, i have seen many vehicles over-heat and be fine..............do as STLwagon said, keep an eye on your oil, make sure no antifreeze is in it..........also make sure there is no oil in your antifreeze..........this would most likely be a blown head gasket, but i think you will be ok. I would be paranoid about it too, because being a diesel tech for ford, when a Ford diesel (6.0 liters) starts blowing coolant, something is WRONG. lol, and for the hundreth time, you should be ok.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
+101...you are probably OK. The synthetic blend oil Ford uses in these motors is actually pretty good and can take a ton of heat before they break down and let metal hit metal. Plus we've got both an aluminum block and aluminum heads so the expansion rate from the heat is the same on both those parts so you're probably OK with the head gasket not leaking, but like guys have said check both ends of the engine cooling system (anti-freeze and oil) for cross contamination.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Plus we've got both an aluminum block and aluminum heads so the expansion rate from the heat is the same on both those parts so you're probably OK with the head gasket not leaking
Excellent point Dan... Probably a bigger issue on the 4V with the cast iron block and aluminum heads.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
I did something simular when i did the pullies also, but I just forgot to plug the fan back in all together, lol.
Few months later I was stuck in traffic and noticed the temp guage on the H. Nowhere to pull off for at least 5-10 min while I freaked out. As soon as traffic opened up and I could get some speed it cooled down really quick to normal. I got off the e-way and plugged it back it.
No steam or antifreeze leaking, engine did not even smell hot.
No harm done thankfully.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.