Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys(and ladies)with so many negative threads and posts about various issues I thought I would throw out some good news.I too had and still have some notchy shifting problems,mostly 1st and 2nd, but ONLY when tranny is cold.After she heats up and is hot it shifts great.I do drive quite spirited at times but I don't beat my car up.My 5.0 has remained problem free up to today and she has 5 k on her now.Not sure I would be too quick to change to a lighter fluid as I have seen some do here on the forum.Here's to wishing you all that are having any issues a quick resolution and hope to see you on the road soon! Peace

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Hey guys(and ladies)with so many negative threads and posts about various issues I thought I would throw out some good news.I too had and still have some notchy shifting problems,mostly 1st and 2nd, but ONLY when tranny is cold.After she heats up and is hot it shifts great.I do drive quite spirited at times but I don't beat my car up.My 5.0 has remained problem free up to today and she has 5 k on her now.Not sure I would be too quick to change to a lighter fluid as I have seen some do here on the forum.Here's to wishing you all that are having any issues a quick resolution and hope to see you on the road soon! Peace
Thats good to hear man! :bounce2:
I have 2000+ miles of problem free shifting and I have done alot of powershifting to it without issues. It does whine a little bit but I think that it's one of the characteristithis of the MT82. Butter smooth when warm I love it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
No problems here either with 3k on the clock. This trans is just like any that I have driven when cold, sometimes hard to get into reverse. The transmission just needs to be exercised when cold and just a short warmup. All the gear lube is at the bottom of the trans and needs to be circulated by the gears turning to get everything working. Just a a couple of throttle blips in first then second with the clutch in then go for reverse.

It's interesting though, this trans exhibits the same characteristics that my Harley V-ROD has. The V-ROD trans was designed by Gertrag for Harley, and second gear can be notchy when short shifting and riding very casualy. Both are hydraulic actuated clutches with a very small friction zone. I also found out just two weeks ago that the Mustang is very easy to power shift near redline. It's awesome!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I have been able to powershift at 7700rpm without an issue. Try doing the 3650 i had on my mach 1 :laugh:. This trans just swallows the gears

·
Registered
679 Posts
Every manual transmission I have driven did not shift well when the oil was cold. I also would not recommend changing the viscosity of the transmission oil to improve shifting.

My MT82 has 11,000 miles and it shifts well. I accept the notchy feeling in the shift as it gives me confidence the transmission is all the way into gear.

My major problem is me. :) I keep trying to shift at 6500 RPM, but rarely make it before the rev limiter shuts the engine down! I need a shift light with an adjustable RPM feature. Who makes one?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
My major problem is me. :) I keep trying to shift at 6500 RPM, but rarely make it before the rev limiter shuts the engine down! I need a shift light with an adjustable RPM feature. Who makes one?
There are a few options: I have a Stewart Warner GUS in my Focus ST that works great, Autometer has their DPSS Auto Meter: DPSS . I haven't looked for the Mustang yet, but I'm pretty sure it needs a tach driver to work (a means of converting a signal from the crank position sensor or a COP lead into a useable tach signal) which I did for the Focus. (similar to this write-up I did years ago Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Tachdriver install help needed ).

The easiest solution I've been looking at is the Aeroforce Interceptor that uses your OBDII port to draw the signal from. This gauge also has a shift light function.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Since it warmed up outside, my transmission has been very smooth...and it has been a joy to drive again!

However, I'm not looking forward to this fall... when the shifting will notchy again and will rattle from 2000-3000 rpm until it's warmed up. All the rattling and notchiness...presumably due to increased friction...has me worried about the longevity of this transmission.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Same here and the same with a fella I ran in to at the store the other day who has a 2012 5.0 6M. Little stiffer when cold, nice and smooth when warmed up. I really don't have anything to complain about. It's a manual trans. Like someone else said, and it holds true for me too. I have never drivin a manual trans that shifted butter smooth until it was warm. Well, except for maybe a honda civic or accord or something. Seems like all performance trans act like this. My 99 GT did, my 2010 GT did and not my 2011 GT does pretty much the same thing.

Again, I really don't have anything to ***** about.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Every manual transmission I have driven did not shift well when the oil was cold. I also would not recommend changing the viscosity of the transmission oil to improve shifting.

My MT82 has 11,000 miles and it shifts well. I accept the notchy feeling in the shift as it gives me confidence the transmission is all the way into gear.

Check out:

Shift Lights by Raptor Performance

available at:

Raptor Yellow Led Mini Shift Light with Black Housing at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.