Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my vert into a local car audio shop to get quite a bit of sound added. If anyone is interested, here is a video of what our 2011's look like under the interior panels and fabrics. This video was take a couple days ago. Since then, they removed the seats to add some resonators and on Monday they finish up the custom A-pillar covers with tweeters. I'll post pics/vid of the finished project.

Oh, and 1:22 into the video, you can see what the factory amplifier looks like and where it is in the trunk. I had the NAV and basic stereo from Ford.

YouTube - 2011 5.0 Mustang interior stripped for stereo install

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thanks for the video. I was just thinking about all this. What did you decide to go with? Are you staying with the factory nav and headunit? With the convertible, are you going with a sub? I noticed a large loss of cabin gain with the top down.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I was thinking of upgrading all speakers in the car and adding a sub in the trunk. I'm getting the GT Premium, which comes with a Shaker 500. Any idea if the Shaker amps are enough to push everything except for the door woofers and additional sub? I am thinking of having a seperate amp for the door woofers and the sub in the trunk and running everything else on the stock amp. I will be keeping the head unit, because it's the nav system. Anyone have any input on this?

·
Registered
326 Posts
dude, throw some $ this way!!! 2011 vert, all that sound audio work, 20's lowering kti, tune. man, thats a lot of dough >< nice car though.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Thats badass man!! I agree with JoeStimec send some $$ this way =)

·
Registered
319 Posts
I waited and waited and waited to take delievery over a month late (6/16/10) on my car, at this point I'm driving with the top down and enjoy the open air which in Michigan means I have 3-4 months left before summer ends. I have no need to waste time with adding more sound!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I was thinking of upgrading all speakers in the car and adding a sub in the trunk. I'm getting the GT Premium, which comes with a Shaker 500. Any idea if the Shaker amps are enough to push everything except for the door woofers and additional sub? I am thinking of having a seperate amp for the door woofers and the sub in the trunk and running everything else on the stock amp. I will be keeping the head unit, because it's the nav system. Anyone have any input on this?
It all depends on the speakers you choose, but I think you'll be very bass heavy. I don't know what the real world wattage of the shaker amps are but I doubt they're much at all.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I think I'd be driving it. Looks like a lot of work.
Can some one explain the Blue Tape, maybe I should know but don't?

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Prevents scratches

·
Registered
389 Posts
Looks like blue masking tape....probably so paint edges and plastic taillights don't get scratched up....good installers!

·
Registered
85 Posts
ACK! I dont think I could be so brave and trusting of my installer :) Really cool vid though, interesting to see the "innards". Thx.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The toughest part about letting someone take apart a my brand new car is, how much experience do they really have with my style to put it back together right. It's looking great so far. Keep us posted on the progress.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
omg dynamat is so heavy why would you want to add weight to your car?
Yeah, I thought about that, too. But I don't race, don't go to the track, and the amps plus sub will add a lot, too. I'm fine with it.

Thanks for the video. I was just thinking about all this. What did you decide to go with? Are you staying with the factory nav and headunit? With the convertible, are you going with a sub? I noticed a large loss of cabin gain with the top down.
I have separate tweeters in the front pillars, mids and woofers in the doors, resonators under each front seat, coax speakers in the rear, a 12" sub in the back, five amps, and dynamat/dynasorb. I don't know a lot about audio, but I trust the guy at the shop who designed my system. For what it's worth, the speakers are from Focal, the sub is from Memphis, and the amps are a combination of Memphis, Rockford Fosgate, and Zapco. The factory amp stays in place because from what I understand it takes the signal from the factory head unit (mine is the nav) and the soeake outputs from the factory amp go to the aftermarket amps. And then from there to my new speakers.

I don't see why the factory amp couldn't do that. I have the GT Premium, too. Shaker 500 with nav. I believe from the factory, the amp is driving one 7" woofer and one 5x7" mid in each door. It is also driving rear 5x7s or 6x8s. So it's driving those six speakers. All you might need is an amp for the aftermarket sub. Again, I'm no expert and I may be off what I'm rememering.

Good luck!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Typo correction

...the soeake outputs from the factory amp go to the aftermarket amps.
That word was supposed to be speaker. Typing on my iPhone gets me into trouble sometimes.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am thinking about updating my stock speakers in my 2011 Mustang GT.
So let me get this straight there are 6 speakers stock speakers in the 2011 Mustang GT?? (2 in the doors, 2 underneath the quarter panel windows, and 2 next to the rear windshield)
Also do you know the sizes of the stock speakers?
Also does anyone know how hard it would be to go from the stock headunit to the Nav from Ford. Because the climate controls dont appear to be layed out the same in my car as the one in the video.

·
Registered
71 Posts
what are you using to interface between the speaker outputs of the factory amp and the rca inputs of the aftermarket amps?

·
Registered
25 Posts
i'm in the same boat, i have about 1000 to spend on upgrading the system. for now i've decided to add an amp and sub in the back and have changed the front speaker to infinity kappa speakers. good thing i have a friend who sell all this stuff lol. here his websites if you guys need stuff. www.autotoys.com

·
Registered
65 Posts
Audio Experts - anyone put a Sub in the car ?

In the process of upgrading the sound system... I have 12 GT Prem Vert Shaker 500. I prefer not to put the sub in the trunk, need the space for golf clubs, luggage for trips, etc. I am not looking for a boomer, just more high quality bass to go with what I have so far.

So, has anyone put a sub under the passenger dash/glove box, or anywhere else in the car? To date I have Focal (IC 570) speakers installed (front and rear), 5 channel amp (Alpine MRX-V60), signal processor (Audio Control LC6i). We ave each speaker on a channel and putting the two stock subs on the 5th channel until we can get sub into the mix. Any other comments suggestions, etc. I am willing to replace the stock subs, but I would like to keep the stock cover, so as I understand it eliminates the Shelby Kickers. Thanks. Reveiw coming when finished, but so far really liking the sound, so much better, clearer at all levels, including when the top is down. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts