Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

I have been driving my mustang gt cs (2012) for about 3 months and the fuel consumption has really taken a toll on my purse...I find myself filling gas every 5 days and I don't even drive that much.

The car is manual so unless I am doing something terribly wrong, the car is just not very fuel economical.

I live in Canada so we use km/L here, my car's fuel economy is like 6.25km/L which is equivalent to about 14.69 miles/gallon...

I do not drive like a maniac so I wonder why the actual number is so different from the number that ford advertises.

Does anyone have similar problems with their 5.0 ???

I don't think I can afford this car anymore lol....I totally thought it was ok when I saw the window sticker and stuff...the fuel economy seemed fine on paper =(

Any feedback or suggestion would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Does something feel wrong with the engine? Are you using the right grade of gasoline?

I always use 93 octane, and my average right now is 20.1mpg. And I'm no light foot. I do care for the car religiously and drive like a grandpa unless the situation calls for otherwise. And I'm not much of a speeder... until the situation calls for otherwise :winks.

Just try keeping your RPMs low, that's what it's all about. Without bogging the engine anyway.

·
Registered
493 Posts
i drive a v6. but i believe it all depends on how you drive, you may be riding to high in your rpms, or all those launches at stop lights add up and drain your gas. i always ride in as high as gear as possible without the engine wanting to sputter or bogg.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
My fuel economy started off really bad when I first got mine too, but when it starts to break in you will see the efficiency increase a bit. Be sure to follow the manual with the break-in recommendations.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've got an auto, and if I'm remembering correctly, the average mpg is 19.6 right now.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mine averaged 14mpg city before it hit 1000miles.

After 1k miles, I averaged about 17-19mpg city.

Take time with the break in. MPG will get better.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does something feel wrong with the engine? Are you using the right grade of gasoline?

I always use 93 octane, and my average right now is 20.1mpg. And I'm no light foot. I do care for the car religiously and drive like a grandpa unless the situation calls for otherwise. And I'm not much of a speeder... until the situation calls for otherwise :winks.

Just try keeping your RPMs low, that's what it's all about. Without bogging the engine anyway.
I don't feel anything is wrong, I am not really sure because I am not an expert in car mechanics. I use 91 gasoline which should be good enough for mustang gt...my dealer even told me that it works with 87 lol.

I keep my RPM pretty low, I rarely break 3000 RPM, it's usually around 2k rpm. AHHHHHHH what's going on =(

·
Registered
775 Posts
ease up on the GO paddle and things will get a little better but no one has ever accused a v8 mustang of being very fuel efficient.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ease up on the GO paddle and things will get a little better but no one has ever accused a v8 mustang of being very fuel efficient.
Not asking it to be fuel efficient but at least I thought the fuel economy should match...I mean the number claimed by ford compare to the number produced from actual driving.

·
Registered
81 Posts
We use L/100km not km/L... I have 3.73's and am very heavy on the skinny pedal ( im 22, cut me some slack) i avg about 15L/100km which is aroun 16mpg ( city driving#). If you check your display and it is higher than that, then you have a problem. Between squamish and kamloops i get 10L/100km wiich is 23.5mpg ( pure highway driving #). Hope this helps :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
937 Posts
Worst I've been has been 18 L/ 100 (driving aggressively). Best has been 10 L /100 (on the highway). I'm usually around 14 L/ 100. I also have 3.73 gears in a 6-speed manual. I use 87 octane.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My worst was 28... I got from squamish to horseshoe bay in 12 mins
:smilie op will know that distance and usual time as we are from same area

·
Registered
588 Posts
I avg 18mpg. 3500 miles with a performance tune.

·
Registered
435 Posts
To the OP: What is your driving like? Mostly city? Highway?

If you have lots of stop-and-go your fuel economy will SUCK! My driving is almost exclusively rural highways, and I've had great fuel economy out of my 2011 GT!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Well I find it hard to believe you don't romp on it regularly with those numbers. I get about 16mpg on a tank (cars computer) on average but I have a hefty amount of city driving thrown in. I travel 80mph+ on the way to work and I generally shift at 3 -3.5k using about 40-60% throttle most days once I get into the city when traffic allows. If most of my driving was city I would see numbers like what you've posted.

·
Registered
549 Posts
In my 2011 GT auto, I average around 14 mpg too. Yeah, I romp on it a bit - but only on weekends. During the week it's mostly city driving. Still, 14 mpg is hummer-like ;). But what can ya do.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Try starting off in second, and shifting 2-4-5-6, or if you have to start off in first shift 1-3-5-6. If you use every gear every time, you will use at least 3L/100km more.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
To the OP: What is your driving like? Mostly city? Highway?
Yes, that's my question too. If you are only doing local or mostly local driving your mileage is going to hug the bottom figure... you'll only achieve the higher number when you are out on the open road without a lot of stop and go.

My mpg hasn't been stellar so far but I wasn't really expecting a car with 412 hp to be a mileage champ either. If I'd wanted that I'd have gone for the V6... or a Fiesta. :gringreen

·
Registered
185 Posts
Dear all,

I live in Canada so we use km/L here, my car's fuel economy is like 6.25km/L which is equivalent to about 14.69 miles/gallon...

Try resetting the fuel mileage display before your next trip. Its a rolling average so if you havent reset it yet, things might look a bit off.

Mine was always saying I was getting 15mpg, then after a reset my average is now ~18mpg.

Also, listen to Hawkeye and skip some gears. I usually do the 2,4,5,6 thing when normal driving. I find 1st a bit useless anyway being that its so short I am almost immediately shifting after I start rolling...

Also, dont ever expect to get the manufacturers estimated mileage. You really never will no matter what the car is. Those are "idealized" numbers.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.