Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I would like to thank everyone on the forum who gave me advice.

I put in a factory order for a 2012 V6 at the beginning of July and I have nearly finalized my plans for how I want it modded and tuned to start with.

(There are some appearance only mods that I am still working out, this is mainly just the functional end of things...)

This is what I am looking at, and I would appreciate feedback if anything looks wrong or incomplete.

Factory Order: (Placed 7-1-11)

2012 V6 Coupe, 100A (No Spoiler, No Tape)
Kona Blue Metallic
Performace Package Suspension
Reverse Sense + Secure

Stage 1 (Engine HP):

JLT CAI
- Best HP gains dyno'd by AM for V6 CAI's.

Magnaflow 2.5" Catback Street.
- This gives me what I believe will be an acceptable sound and 2.5" pipes from the cats back. If I decide to try a different reso / muffler I will still have the wider pipes.

Diablosport Trinity T-1000 Tuner
- This is the coolest electronic toy I have ever seen for a car. I know it is overpriced. I am getting one anyway ;)

BAMA 93 Octane Race (Or "Hybrid") Tune
- These tunes have been doing very well, for many users

Stage 2 (Drivetrain Efficiency):

Full Set 18x9 Anthracite Bullitt Wheels w/ Hankook Ventus V12 Tires
- The performance package actually comes with 19" rims. This should reduce rotational mass a bit, and the tires are very highly rated. I will need a minor speedo adjustment as the OD of the inflated tires will change a bit.

Aluminum Drive Shaft w/ Safety Loop
- To reduce rotational mass and reduce the tendency of the factory shaft to go BOOM.

3.73 Rear Gears
- This is not a definite. The performance package allready comes with 3.31 and I'm not sure I like the gas mileage dropping.

Royal Purple Gear Oil
- Might not sound like much, but any friction reduced in the drive train should help, even if just bit by bit.

Barton Short Shifter and Bracket
- Improved throw for better shift control.

Other than that, I managed to find the only top tier ethanol free gas in Seattle, so that will be nice. :)

(I will still have to -safely- boost it a bit to get 93 Octane, as the highest available out here is 92.)

Thoughts? Suggestions?

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
So, you are gonna have a set of Pirelli 19's and Ventus V12 18's? Wouldn't it be better getting more of a street slick tire or winter tire?

Aside from the tire choice, I think your setup looks great! (possibly better than the AM one in fact lol)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, you are gonna have a set of Pirelli 19's and Ventus V12 18's? Wouldn't it be better getting more of a street slick tire or winter tire?

Aside from the tire choice, I think your setup looks great! (possibly better than the AM one in fact lol)
Well, I understand what you are saying, but it goes like this:

I already ordered the performance package, and I like the upgraded suspension that comes with it.

I really want anthracite bulitt wheels and they don't come in 19"

The amazingly good Hankook tires I mentioned come with the wheels from AM.

I will probably end up selling the 19" tires with < 100 miles on them, and switching over the stock 19's to winter tires so I can save the good wheels for good weather.

That is the thought, at least.

And thank you for complimenting the rest of the setup. It is going to be a blast. :laughlitt

·
Registered
381 Posts
looks good so far, i love my bullit wheels.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Well, I didn't know you ordered a PP car.

There is no way at all that if I were getting the PP that I would swap out the tires and wheels it comes with, would be a costly mistake, both in dollars and performance.

The wheels and tires you are looking to switch to will weigh more than the ones that come on the PP so you will not be losing any rotational mass, you will be gaining some.

Save yourself that money you would spend on those tires and wheels.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Well, I didn't know you ordered a PP car.

There is no way at all that if I were getting the PP that I would swap out the tires and wheels it comes with, would be a costly mistake, both in dollars and performance.

The wheels and tires you are looking to switch to will weigh more than the ones that come on the PP so you will not be losing any rotational mass, you will be gaining some.

Save yourself that money you would spend on those tires and wheels.
Don't listen to Ltngdrvr. Sell me the 19" Pirelli's. I'll give you $600 shipped. :gringreen

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
(I will still have to -safely- boost it a bit to get 93 Octane, as the highest available out here is 92.
Talk to Bama & get a 92 tune, if not use a 91 octane tune. Its not worth the hassle & increases the possibility of detonation.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Don't listen to Ltngdrvr. Sell me the 19" Pirelli's. I'll give you $600 shipped. :gringreen
I'll give you $601 shipped! :smilie

·
Registered
175 Posts
First off... I hope your order is already in if you want a Kona blue car...

secondly, if you are getting different wheels and tires to reduce rotational mass there are better choices than the bullets...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does anyone know how much the PP rims actually weigh?

Or the bulitt wheels for that matter?

I was mainly just considering the difference in the lip being out an extra half an inch.

That and I do like the look of the bulitts, but if it's going to be a dig performance wise I'll probably just keep the PP wheels for now and save the money.

That's why I am asking questions before I buy. :)

As for the kona blue, I know there have been shortages, but the dealer was allowed to put the order in. This was about 3 weeks ago.

I have my fingers crossed on that part of it.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
It has been reported by Ford sources that the wheel in the PP was chosen because it was the lightest weight wheel in the proper size that was available.

I have yet to see where anyone has weighed a bare wheel to find out for sure how much they weigh.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
It has been reported by Ford sources that the wheel in the PP was chosen because it was the lightest weight wheel in the proper size that was available.

I have yet to see where anyone has weighed a bare wheel to find out for sure how much they weigh.
I weighed it when I sold mine but my method wasn't the most reliable. I came up with 27 lbs. I stepped on my digital scale with and without the wheel. Balanced it on my head to try to keep the weight even. Every time I gained 27 lbs.

I believe the Bullitts are 26 lbs. Seems logical to assume you'll gain a little on the tires though. They're taller and wider.

·
Registered
107 Posts
355 gears would be better than the 331's and not as bad as the 373's.

Also once you drive the car with the PP wheels and tires I think you will like them. Wait and see what you think before you buy other wheels. Apply that money toward a supercharger.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I weighed it when I sold mine but my method wasn't the most reliable. I came up with 27 lbs. I stepped on my digital scale with and without the wheel. Balanced it on my head to try to keep the weight even. Every time I gained 27 lbs.

I believe the Bullitts are 26 lbs. Seems logical to assume you'll gain a little on the tires though. They're taller and wider.
Thanks for the info.

The best wheels for pure acceleration would be 17" or smaller, of course, but I don't want to go that far.

Keep in mind, it isn't just the weight that matters, but the distance of the center of the weight to to the center of rotational center of the axle.

If what your saying about the weights is accurate, these would probably be pretty close.

19's would tend to handle a bit better in corners, but I believe the Hankook's are better rated than Pirelli's (believe it or not) esp. on wet pavement.

If it comes down to pure cosmetics I'm not sure what I will do. I like the looks of the bulitts more, but I am not sure it's $1000 more.

:headscratch:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Talk to Bama & get a 92 tune, if not use a 91 octane tune. Its not worth the hassle & increases the possibility of detonation.
Well, I would most likely be mixing it with 92 octane 76 fuel with racing fuel. (I think 76 and VP both have unleaded racing fuel up here.)

I wasn't talking about that crap in a bottle, though I can understand why you may have implied that.

I don't think I would have to worry about detonation as long as I am using good high octane fuel.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Thanks for the info.

The best wheels for pure acceleration would be 17" or smaller, of course, but I don't want to go that far.

Keep in mind, it isn't just the weight that matters, but the distance of the center of the weight to to the center of rotational center of the axle.

If what your saying about the weights is accurate, these would probably be pretty close.

19's would tend to handle a bit better in corners, but I believe the Hankook's are better rated than Pirelli's (believe it or not) esp. on wet pavement.

If it comes down to pure cosmetics I'm not sure what I will do. I like the looks of the bulitts more, but I am not sure it's $1000 more.

:headscratch:
I hear what you're saying about the looks. That's why I sold mine. The rotational mass idea makes sense but 99% of the public won't notices the difference behind the wheel or on a time slip. Also I think you mentioned a wider tire. I bet the rotational mass exceeds the PP wheel and tire.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I hear what you're saying about the looks. That's why I sold mine. The rotational mass idea makes sense but 99% of the public won't notices the difference behind the wheel or on a time slip. Also I think you mentioned a wider tire. I bet the rotational mass exceeds the PP wheel and tire.
Oddly enough the sidewalls are the same width.

255/40R19 for PP from the factory
255/45-18 From AM

I might end up getting them just because:

1. They are $200 off right now. That will pretty much pay for the TPMS.

2. I will want a separate set of rims for winter anyway.

Oh decisions, decisions. :scratchchin

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Oddly enough the sidewalls are the same width.

255/40R19 for PP from the factory
255/45-18 From AM

I might end up getting them just because:

1. They are $200 off right now. That will pretty much pay for the TPMS.

2. I will want a separate set of rims for winter anyway.

Oh decisions, decisions. :scratchchin
The tires have the same "section width" but the sidewall is taller on the 255/45/18 by 1/2".

1 - 20 of 30 Posts