Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called Leonard's Performance of Taunton, MA yesterday to confirm getting my 4.10 gears put in today, Ed Leonard's other mechanic said the job would be $450 total in cash for the 4.10 Ford racing Gears. So, I went to my local ATM, withdrew $500 just in case I needed a little extra and headed to Taunton to get the job done. When I got there Ed wasn't there so I checked with his other mechanic that the price was $450 before he started working on my car. He agreed and started working on it. 3 Hours later Ed tells me that my car is done, and the price is $575 credit card or $550 cash. I tell him his assistant told me just 3 hours ago that the price was $450 cash. Hmmmmmm, a 25% increase in just 3 hours time. His prices are rising faster than the gas prices in my area!! So I confront him of the fact that his website says $450 also and that another member of this forum mentioned paying $500 cash last week. He went around in circles about using synthetic fluid and that he broke a bearing on my car which was $20 etc, trying to make me feel I wasn't getting screwed paying $100 more than I was quoted 3 hours before that same day. We finally settled on $525 cash. The gears came out fine, no noises, so in that sense I'm satisfied but for the money matter, I have to be honest, I'll find someone else, to do my future mods which is unfortunate as they were so close.
So, anybody know of any other performance shops in Southeastern MA?:eyebulge:

·
Registered
97 Posts
If you are so inclined, you could report him to visa, mastercard or amex. Anyone that charges a premium for credit card use is violating their agreement with these companies. It's a big no-no for them, because doing so tensd to cut down on the number of credit card transactions, which in turn kills the issuer's profits. They'll penalize the vendor by suspending their ability to do business with any credit cards...takes a big chunk out of their business.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies. I'll look into your ideas. Most importantly, just wanted you all to know the experience I had at this shop.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sonny,

Where did you get your billet ac, door buttons from and were they hard to put in?

·
Registered
164 Posts
clubt said:
I called Leonard's Performance of Taunton, MA yesterday to confirm getting my 4.10 gears put in today, Ed Leonard's other mechanic said the job would be $450 total in cash for the 4.10 Ford racing Gears. So, I went to my local ATM, withdrew $500 just in case I needed a little extra and headed to Taunton to get the job done. When I got there Ed wasn't there so I checked with his other mechanic that the price was $450 before he started working on my car. He agreed and started working on it. 3 Hours later Ed tells me that my car is done, and the price is $575 credit card or $550 cash. I tell him his assistant told me just 3 hours ago that the price was $450 cash. Hmmmmmm, a 25% increase in just 3 hours time. His prices are rising faster than the gas prices in my area!! So I confront him of the fact that his website says $450 also and that another member of this forum mentioned paying $500 cash last week. He went around in circles about using synthetic fluid and that he broke a bearing on my car which was $20 etc, trying to make me feel I wasn't getting screwed paying $100 more than I was quoted 3 hours before that same day. We finally settled on $525 cash. The gears came out fine, no noises, so in that sense I'm satisfied but for the money matter, I have to be honest, I'll find someone else, to do my future mods which is unfortunate as they were so close.
So, anybody know of any other performance shops in Southeastern MA?:eyebulge:
I would of held them to the original quote. Also, I like the way that they made YOU pay for the bearing that THEY broke. Do your biz elsewhere my friend...

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
clubt said:
Sonny,

Where did you get your billet ac, door buttons from and were they hard to put in?
I got them from UPR. The 9mm hollow point door pins, I had to pop off the plasic bezel and make the holes a little larger on each side. That way I could screw the pin all the way down. Otherwise the door wouldn't lock.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
clubt said:
Sonny,

Hey clubt,
I checked my invoice and those door pins are from Steeda, but the plastic bezel hole has to be made larger. I used a larger diam. drill bit on my drill press.

·
Registered
95 Posts
2006GT said:
I would of held them to the original quote. Also, I like the way that they made YOU pay for the bearing that THEY broke. Do your biz elsewhere my friend...
You should have paid on a CC, and then filed a claim against them with the CC company. First, they upped the price, then they charged you for something they broke, and finally they charged you a premium for using a CC.

You may not win the claim, but it's a PITA for the merchant to go through the hoops...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Next time get a written work order outlining the cost before getting mods.

And use a CC. If for some reason after a week something goes wrong you can hold the charge until the job is fixed to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
HE broke something on YOUR car and then had the balls to charge YOU for it? Hmm...

·
Registered
43 Posts
i would have had my foot up there ass, and i would have tossed down the pre-agreed amount, snagged my keys and drove off.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
clubt said:
So, anybody know of any other performance shops in Southeastern MA?:
eyebulge:
My experience was not good there either. I was sweating w/ fear on what was going on. The 1st set was bad or used previously. The 2nd set didn't even get a new shim kit. What's that, less than $20 bucks and no new crush collar. I have no idea if anything was torqued to spec or measured. They are quite though! The car now has some vibration at 55-60 mph, but I'm never going back. Dez may get the call if it gets any worse.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Hal900x said:
If you are so inclined, you could report him to visa, mastercard or amex. Anyone that charges a premium for credit card use is violating their agreement with these companies. It's a big no-no for them, because doing so tensd to cut down on the number of credit card transactions, which in turn kills the issuer's profits. They'll penalize the vendor by suspending their ability to do business with any credit cards...takes a big chunk out of their business.
Lol, I never heard of that. Never seen an agreement like that either. A business can offer a lower bill for cash paying customers.
I think someone was just trying to get the money under the table, or off the books.
But this place sounds shady. In Illinois you can only go 10% above the origional estimate, Im sure this differs state to state.

·
Registered
43 Posts
by the sounds of it this was in no way an estimate, it was more of a stated price for said service..you dont go to get your oil changed with the price saying 20$ or whatever and get charged 40 when you walk out.....i could understand it being a bit more expensive if it sounded like an estimate...and the broken part...you never pay for anything they break.

and yes, im under the understanding that you cant charge more for using a CC..but im not positive...

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
dont look at it as chargng more for using a credit card, but a discount for paying in cash

1 - 20 of 23 Posts