Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have just bought a 1990 Mustang lx 5.0 and I dont know much about it. It runs and sounds great most of the time but after driving for about 20 minutes it starts to act Very Sluggish when I try to excelerate pretty hard. It does'nt matter if I am at a stand still or rolling at about 40 mph. It almost acts like it is trying to stall out. I have cleaned the MAF sensor and changed the original plugs and wires. Any suggestions of what could be going on? Thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
How's your fuel filter situation - any doubts, put a new one in because a plugged one will starve the engine for fuel, especially noticeable when under higher loads.

Same thing for air filter too - any doubts then change it so that the engine can breath.

If your engine is stock (or near stock) try running 87 octane fuel, which is the factory spec. I used to run 91 and then switched to 87 in my totally stock car and noticed that, compared to the 87, the 91 made the car feel somewhat sluggish on the get up and go.

These are a couple cheap and easy starting points.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have just ordered the cold air intake and am putting a fuel filter on today. Thanks for the suggestions. Lets see what this will do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts