Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Accelerator Peddle broke (Plastic part) on my 2002 Mustang V6 anyone know where I can get a new one or know the pieces I need to make my own Metal one? Ford wants $75 for the plastic one... That's outrageous!...

......._________
......//////////
...../
/////////
....//////////
...//////////
..////////// Accelerator Piece
./
/////////
//////////

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
I know a lot of Mustang owners drive with a lead foot, but most of them don't actually break the accelerator pedal.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
yeah well I was making a U-turn and a guy on his phone, cut me off making a right, and made me slam on my breaks to avoid hitting him... I then slammed as hard as I could on the gas to catch up cause he knew I was after him to yell at him... I decided to do this... get a metal plate and a metal tie and use that... then buy some peddle covers from auto zone

...Metal plate.......Metal Tie
....________...........____.._....
...|........|.........|____||-|...
...|........|........./....\......
...|........|........(......).....
...|........|.........\..../......
...|.._.._..|.....................
...|.||..||.|.........______......
...|.||..||.|........|//////|.....
...|........|
w/ Brackets Cut out....Side View of Tie

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
I slammed as hard as I could on the gas pedal.
Been there. I did that a long time ago with unpleasant results:

I purchased my first car at age 19 without consulting my folks. It was a used '62 'vette 327 4-speed. I had to sell it several months later, since even with it added to my parent's policy the insurance for one year was 2/3 of what the whole car cost me. (Even so, I sold it for enough more than I paid for it to cover the insurance costs.)

I drove it across town to a girl's house, where some friends were gathering, to pick up my friend Jack. Trying to impress them when pulling away from in front of the house, I popped the clutch and slammed the accelerator to the floor. The metal pivot arm attached to the carb's throttle cable resented my abrupt actions and immediately snapped in half which left the gas pedal resting on the floorboards. Thereafter the car would start and idle in neutral, but since I was unable to give it more gas it would die if I tried releasing the clutch. I needed to buy a new pivot arm (which I wound up ordering the next day through the parts department at the local Chevy dealer). To get the car home in the meantime, my friend Jack sat on the left front fender and pulled on the throttle linkage while I coordinated the clutch pedal and gear selection. The hood had to be up (it hinged forward on those old 'vettes) while we did this, naturally, so I couldn't see directly ahead and had to rely on Jack for such information. We drove like this all the way back across town to my folk's house, managing to cross two main streets and avoid the police. That classic 'vette convertible was a very cool car. Jack and I, however, did not look so cool driving it that day.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sorry but LOL!

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Did you get the chance to yell at him?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
yeah... and at the next light he stopped a whole car length behind me in the other lane.... I'll upload some pics of my $1 fix-it job when it's light out... well technically $19.99 Peddle covers + $1 for bracket plates... I was going to buy the peddle covers sooner or later but since this problem arose it was a perfect time to buy them... :D

I didn't use the Metal Ties but I drilled through the gas bar, hinge assembly (well you'll see) to attach the brackets.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.