Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 5 months ago someone I know was bragging on Facebook [pic attached] about how he just got an awesome deal on a 2011 Boss- $17,000, maybe a little more. I was immediately suspicious, wondering if HE paid 17k and his parents paid the remaining amount, or if it had been in a terrible accident or something. I thought nothing of it till I finally saw the car in person today and noticed a few weird things.

First thing I noticed was the V6 automatic exhaust (the V6 auto exhaust is different from manual, remember?). It struck me as strange that this Boss had pipes from a V6. So I look inside and I recognize the seats and steering wheel as the same as mine (base V6). Next thing I do is search the VIN and sure enough, it comes up saying "V6 Mustang."

The conversion job was half-assed: the front end's foglights and lower fascia seemed wrong. The side stripes seemed good. But the rear end gave it away, with a weird, out-of-place SVT emblem (?) and the V6 exhaust. Oh, and no black roof. The rims are also out-of-place... why put worse rims on a car than came stock? The brakes look very "V6" as well.

Can anyone spot other discrepancies? The mirrors maybe? Are the foglights always black on a Boss?

So here's the question: Does this guy really think he bought a Boss? Did someone swap base seats, steering wheel and exhaust into a real Boss? Or does he know he has a V6 and is just trying to look cool to people by claiming he paid so little for such a great car? I know you guys can't answer these, it's just interesting to ponder. My philosophy on this is that if he thinks he bought a V8 he's a dumbass for not doing his homework. If he knows he bought a V6, liked the price, and has no desire to go through the hassle of removing the stripes, that's fine- more power to him. What I really have a problem with is telling everyone you have a Boss and leading them to believe you're a master price negotiator; I also think of it as posing (I'm not a super badge nazi but this is egregious :nogrinner).

I have the VIN written down... Is there a way I can tell it's a V6 (i.e. 4th digit is a 3 or something)?

If the VIN says it's a V6, what are the chances that someone swapped in a Boss engine? :heha:

Sadly, he wasn't near the car today, so I couldn't ask him to see the engine.

Final question: If he happens to be delusional and thinks he has a V8, do I break the bad news to him?

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
Some times you just have to let people live in their own little world. He'll have a stop light reality check soon enough. lol

R

·
0 Posts
An automatic V6 Boss? Yeah, it's called the Mini-Boss. They even come with ugly chrome wheels.

·
Registered
830 Posts
They didn't make a 2011 BOSS. It has the wrong front end, and no splitter. His seats should have BOSS 302 embroidered into them. The real boss stripe says boss 302, not just boss. From the picture it looks like the spoiler is wrong too.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
From what I can see, it has a stock GT front end. The pieces are a direct bolt-on, so it's possible someone did the swap; or this may be a car that was wrecked and rebuilt.

Another possibility besides those you mentioned is that he knows hardly anything about Mustangs and doesn't realize those are aftermarket stripes. But he DOES know there's such a thing as a Boss Mustang, so he sees the word BOSS on the fender and assumes that's what he has.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
You find him then proceed to point and laugh in his face...

Com' on Man!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, I have a very strong suspicion that he knows very little about Mustangs. That's why I think he may have been taken advantage of.

I'm embarrassed to say that when he said 2011 Boss it never occurred to me that they didn't make them that year. I'm not sure why I forgot about that. I was focussing on the price I guess.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Lol he probably knows, doesn't care. Had a co worker recently purchase a 2001 saleen clone. He knew it was just a gt with a full body kit, and decals but chose to tell everyone it's was a real saleen. Unfortunately in this world, there are ppl like that.....

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Oh, I have a very strong suspicion that he knows very little about Mustangs. That's why I think he may have been taken advantage of.
It seems to me he got taken advantage of either way. With a 2013 Base V6 automatic stickered at about 23 grand, 17K for a 2011 is a little high, isn't it?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It seems to me he got taken advantage of either way. With a 2013 Base V6 automatic stickered at about 23 grand, 17K for a 2011 is a little high, isn't it?
Well, I'm not sure. This was actually more like 9 months ago (I looked up the date on Fbook) and I'm not sure how many miles are on the car. Plus you gotta factor in those gnar rims!!!! :D

Now that I think about it, that IS a crappy deal.

·
Registered
491 Posts
more of a 2011 ***** than a boss

·
Registered
830 Posts
Well, I'm not sure. This was actually more like 9 months ago (I looked up the date on Fbook) and I'm not sure how many miles are on the car. Plus you gotta factor in those gnar rims!!!! :D

Now that I think about it, that IS a crappy deal.
Please keep us updated with how you break it to him and how he responds. Video and/or pictures are always a plus. Even a sound bite with "what do you mean its not a boss?!?!?!" would be acceptable. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
He was either duped (and hasn't been told), or he knows damn well it's not a real "Boss" and is trying to dupe everyone else.

If he was duped, someone should tell him. $17k for a used 2011 V6 isn't a very good deal (depending on options, mileage and condition of the car).

If he's knowingly trying to claim his V6 is a Boss 302, he's a douche.

Personally, I find it hard to believe that someone would try to sell a V6 as a Boss 302, especially when the hood comes up, and you see a V6 in the engine compartment. (There are a lot of V6's running around San Antonio with "Boss" C-stripes on the sides.)

Someone else commented on the wheels. I think the Boss wheels are butt ugly, but that's me. *I* would have replaced them if I bought a Boss 302.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Please keep us updated with how you break it to him and how he responds. Video and/or pictures are always a plus. Even a sound bite with "what do you mean its not a boss?!?!?!" would be acceptable. Thanks!
If he's not trying to scam everyone (he's actually kinda clueless about the whole thing), there's really nothing to be gained by making him look like a retard and then putting it on youtube. However, if he knows better, calling him out for it is a valid reaction.

·
Banned
2,225 Posts
Faux Boss and not even a good try. There are a lot of faux Shelby's out there too and some are a very good copy. To each their own, but not for me.

One of the reasons I haven't put the Lemans stripes on my GT is I don't want people thinking I'm trying to look like a Shelby when I don't really have one. That's a shame as I really like the look of the Lemans stripes.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
He was either duped (and hasn't been told), or he knows damn well it's not a real "Boss" and is trying to dupe everyone else.

If he was duped, someone should tell him. $17k for a used 2011 V6 isn't a very good deal (depending on options, mileage and condition of the car).

If he's knowingly trying to claim his V6 is a Boss 302, he's a douche.

Personally, I find it hard to believe that someone would try to sell a V6 as a Boss 302, especially when the hood comes up, and you see a V6 in the engine compartment. (There are a lot of V6's running around San Antonio with "Boss" C-stripes on the sides.)

Someone else commented on the wheels. I think the Boss wheels are butt ugly, but that's me. *I* would have replaced them if I bought a Boss 302.
I find that statement a little hypocritical coming from you.

Just saying. ;)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts