Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
95 Mustang GT Check engine light is coming on, got code 181 "Adaptive fuel rich limiter reached at part throttle, right side" Does that mean that it is running lean? Car makes a crackling sound in the exhuast at around 3 1/2 4,000 RPMs. is that a lean misfire?

I removed the smog pump and it helped, but still check engine light is comming on. and crackleing sound is still there.

:weeps Please help nebody!!!

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
No, it is running RICH, could be a bad injector, or a dead plug, no spark (plug wires).

It could also be a bad cat converter...since the car is 10yrs old there are many things that can fail.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
what are your mods? fuel injector size?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry guys mods: Cold air, smog eliminator, super chip, o/r h pipe, flowmaster 40series catback,fordracing ignition.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
clear the code, pull the chip and see if it continues. If it does, it could be a split fuel pressure regulator (pressure bleed down quick when stutt off? or wet fuel in the vacuum line?), it could be a leaky injector(s) or a missfiring ignition - but I think you'd feel that and the EEC should pick it up too..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was told that it could also be the EGR valve causeing it run lean under load. The idle is rough at times which could also be the egr. hmmm!!!

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Yes, if the valve is stuck that is true - but it won't cause a rich condition.

·
Registered
7 Posts
check to make sure the motor is firing on all cylinders ,fill a spray bottle with water and spray it on each individual exhaust tube close to where it comes off of the motor (make sure the car is at normal operating temp) if the plug is fouled when you spray water onto the exhaust it will not burn off nearly as fast as the plugs that arent you could could have a fouled plug and it could have burnt thru your plug wire and be firing into your exhaust check the clearance between your plug wires and headers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.