Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I have a black 2011 5.0 with a few external mods. RTR chin spoiler, Roush side skirts, louvers, smoked side markers, GT500 rear diffuser and tinted rear window. Everything else is stock
I was at a US car event on Sunday. I got no attention at all. Among many colorful mustangs, mine was just a black ordinary mustang and nobody even was interested.

A friend of mine drives a 2011 5.0 convertable and with a carbon fiber hood and 20" shelby wheels. People go crazy for the carbon fiber hood with air scoop. In my opinion convertible mustang sucks and carbon fiber hood stands out so badly on a black car and gives it a japanese boy racer car look. But that's my opinion.

See the picture of my car. What can i do? It is so difficult to do something with stripes or wheels on a black car. Everything either stands out too much or is too subtle. 20" chrome wheels would pimp it too much and Iam worried that stripes of any color other than flat black will just make it look cheezy. Plus racing stripes look a bit odd on stock hood with dome. They look fantastic on a shelby hood. White stripes look awesome on a red car.. or black stripes on a white. But i just can't find the right color and style for a black car!

Guys can you give me some ideas on stripes, 20" wheels (flat black or chrome, or black chrome or maybe black/chrome deep dish?). What is hot out there? What looks best on a black 11 5.0? I wanna get some attention next time i go to a car show.

Attachments

G

·
0 Posts
Honestly I like it the way it is and say you have a great choice in color!:bigthumbsup

I understand you want the extra attention at a carshow and that is different than just being noticed driving down the street. I would refrain from doing anything 'flashy' like neon lights or bright stripes. Stick to the nice details you have begun with such as headlights and tailights, Recaro seats, and perhaps machined aluminum wheels instead of painted/chrome. If you want something that will get noticed, get a roll cage!!:kooky:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Your car looks great to me! (from another boring black 5.0 owner :D)

·
Registered
182 Posts
It looks great! Nothing wrong with keeping it clean and simple, the only thing that I have that stands out on my black one is the "19 chrome Imola wheels.

·
Registered
213 Posts
i do love your car and my friend has a 2012 5.0 and he had a predicament comparable to you. Ever thought of matte black stripes? it actually looks great and its very subtle. and maybe some new raxiom headlights for style.

Also I can't see well but are those wheels chrome? if not i would suggest that or get an all black out theme and smoke all the lights, with tint, and black wheels.

Theres many ways you can go but its your decision and you have to like what you drive. Mine is a G5 alloy color and had factory white stripes. I put black wheels on and a black out tail light kit. Now im going to be ordering some raxioms.

Also get flashy with other things like your rumble or a whistle/whine sound with aftermarket performance. I have true dual flowmasters, pypes headers, and regrind camshaft. Also I'm buying tune/intake and get the interior whistle suction sound on the CAI. Then driveshaft and rear differential. And im all set up for a blower after that :)

Sorry for that but im just putting ideas out there. My car isnt the biggest show off, but I find other things that many cars dont have and put those on mine.

Another one. Ever thought of a windshield banner or rear window decal? I got a "mustang" one my old man put on when he got it for me.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Guys,
In my opinion convertible mustang sucks and carbon fiber hood stands out so badly on a black car and gives it a japanese boy racer car look. But that's my opinion.
True.

Your car looks great. The only thing i would do is remove the lower tape that says Mustang. Less is more. Keep the clean and sharp look going. Your car looks excellent the way it is. Not attracting attention is a good thing, and you will learn to appreciate it.

·
Banned
3,124 Posts
I think your car looks GREAT! Maybe different wheels but you've got a looker.

My personal opinion (and just mine) I think a set of 19" Bronze TWS Nurburgrings running some 285/35-19's would really make the car pop and be exceptionally unique. I know they're not 20's but I think it would be a really really good look.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Your car is beautiful. i almost went with the black but I love silver too much - my last 4 cars have been that color.

2011+ Mustangs are almost ubiquitous where I live. I don't drive them to turn heads -- I drive them because I truly enjoy the cars. Your car is awesome. If you want to turn heads, put a blower on it... and snap necks back instead :winks

·
Registered
433 Posts
Here's mine, I have even less done. I work in the graphic field and can do whatever I want stripe or wrap wise (for nothing too)and I would rather leave it the way it is. Just painted the calipers, black 5.0 emblems, and plastidipped the rear GT emblem. I hate the fake hood scoops, side scoops and rear window louvers but the side window covers are nice.

·
Registered
50 Posts
LOVE the car but if you really want some stripes I say go with gray to match the side stripe. good luck!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
i think your car looks great, i would say that you are a set of wheels away from getting the desired attention. The factory brembo wheels look great but IMO one you start doing enhancements to the exterior they start to look plain. I too have a black car and have seen a couple black stangs in person and as another suggested IMO matte black looks good on a black car and I'll eventually do the same

735 Posts
Guys,
I have a black 2011 5.0 with a few external mods. RTR chin spoiler, Roush side skirts, louvers, smoked side markers, GT500 rear diffuser and tinted rear window. Everything else is stock
I was at a US car event on Sunday. I got no attention at all ...
Want to be set apart?

Try adding a new bike to the back of your car!

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Take off the side tape that says "Mustang" and I think it will look just right :yup:

(from another boring black 5.0 owner :D)
What he said

·
Registered
433 Posts
Take off the side tape that says "Mustang" and I think it will look just right :yup:
This......get the black emblems also. The chrome emblems stick out too much on a black car. If there were no locator holes I would have left them off all together. Bronze wheels look really nice on black cars also, I wish I would have went with them but the blacked out look is cool.

·
Registered
433 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
All you have to do is look at a Ford Take Rate Report, and see the majority of Mustangs sold are BLACK. This makes them very common. Black, White, and "some shade of Grey" makes up 80% of car sales. These car colors are considered "normal' or even "common".

I agree with others on this thread -- if you want to make your "normal" colored car grab more attention, you should add dark grey racing stripes to the car.

Check out this link to "play" with the options. http://www.roushperformance.com/parts/mustang-graphic-configurator.html

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
wow! Thanks everyone for the compliments. That dark gray side stripe by the way, I removed it 2 days after I installed it. It looked too crowded on the side with that roush splitter. I agree that the next best thing to do is get some bad ass 20" wheels. Not sure if I'll like bronze but or matte black.. but i really like the avant garde M310.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts