Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one who experience this?

After spinning the tires all the way through first gear and second gear, I went back around to see the tire marks and behold... no tire marks. What I saw instead was the oposite. I saw two lighter lines that seemed to have erased the dirt off the road. Kinda like running a pencil eraser against a shade on a paper made by a lead pencil. What's the deal? Is my rear too light? I would think otherwise since it's a convertible. Is it the tires? I do notice an improvement on the traction when I have one passenger at the back.

HERE ARE THE CONDITIONS:
It's 90F outside. I got staggered Nitto 555 Extremes. Traction control is off, and I had the car screaming near redline making 450 rear wheel torque. My suspension upgrades are Steeda LCA, GT500 Shocks, Steeda Sport Springs, and GT500 front sway bar. And no, I wasn't touching the clutch at all. No burnt clutch smell after it. I can clearly hear the tires screaming.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
i think, dang it i hate when that happens :hihi: ive had that happen with my 100 h.p. V6 and i think its the pavement type surface issue. in your case, you would think you would at least see some melted rubber though no matter what after melting 1/8" off the tires. maybe it will take more practice :winks

·
Registered
927 Posts
well if your just peeling out through first and second. then no, your not really gonna see marks. however. do a brake stand for about 5-10 seconds, then shift to second and dump it and you will be leaving some lines :yup:

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
It’s probably due to the tire compound.

In my 2007 I can GRENADE my BFG Comp TA KD’s (R compound track day tire with a 200 treadwear rating) through first and second and “haze” them through third and all it does is leave very faint marks and they don’t smoke much at all.

On the other hand my stone stock 2010 with the stock 500 treadwear rated tires will do crazy smokey “funny car” burnouts that leave black marks that will hand out for a year.

I see the same thing at the roadrace track with the bikes. The slicks I run (best of the best) will leave light black lines on the throttle on a 1000cc 175+rwhp bike. But when I am on my wife’s 600cc 120rwhp bike which runs street/track day rubber it leaves black lines like it has 300hp!

Harder compounds smoke more and leave darker marks.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s probably due to the tire compound.

In my 2007 I can GRENADE my BFG Comp TA KD’s (R compound track day tire with a 200 treadwear rating) through first and second and “haze” them through third and all it does is leave very faint marks and they don’t smoke much at all.

On the other hand my stone stock 2010 with the stock 500 treadwear rated tires will do crazy smokey “funny car” burnouts that leave black marks that will hand out for a year.

I see the same thing at the roadrace track with the bikes. The slicks I run (best of the best) will leave light black lines on the throttle on a 1000cc 175+rwhp bike. But when I am on my wife’s 600cc 120rwhp bike which runs street/track day rubber it leaves black lines like it has 300hp!

Harder compounds smoke more and leave darker marks.
Makes perfect sense, coz my old 95 hp, 5 speed, 93 Corolla will smoke and put down one wheel burn out marks like it's got a V8. All I need is a slightly inclined road or slightly pull the hand brake.

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
Makes perfect sense, coz my old 95 hp, 5 speed, 93 Corolla will smoke and put down one wheel burn out marks like it's got a V8. All I need is a slightly inclined road or slightly pull the hand brake.
I'd like to put some 500 rated tires 275mm wide on my 2007 and pump them up to 50-60psi and do a bunch of burnouts on video. That would be riot!:gringreen

1 - 6 of 6 Posts