Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crazy, right? As much time as I spend getting my 64 1/2 started, I realy shouldn't mind this problem.
Just had a new starter solenoid, battery & a couple of cables installed, and my Mustang has never started and run so nicely before. Drove it a few times this week, no problem. Yesterday, I drove to a restraunt, parked, turned the key to off and removed key from ignition......and yes, my car was still running. Played with key on/off several times, car still running.
I had to disconnect the negative battery cable to kill engine. What's wrong with my car guys & gals, and how do I fix it?

As always, thanks for your help.

Joe

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Bad starter solenoid. It's happened to me a couple of times. The next time it won't turn off, pull the small wire off the "I" terminal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Same problem sorta...

Had the same problem before also about 2 years ago. Replaced the solenoid and the ignition switch...thought we had it figured out.

Now just this week turn the key and nothing, wont start. Jump the car, and then the next 5 times it starts fine. Couple of times I hear a "drag" if you will when turning over. Battery is good, cabling is good, starter seems to be mounted firmly no wires loose...

Then this Sunday I get gas start the car and it turns over and squeals. Turn off and pull key the car keeps running (and squealing), so put key in and jiggle it and it settles down and runs fine all the way home. Turn it off and restart and its fine again!?

Seems like its not engaging the starter fully when I hear the drag sound? Maybe not disengaging the starter when I heard the squeal?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Crazy, right? As much time as I spend getting my 64 1/2 started, I realy shouldn't mind this problem.
Just had a new starter solenoid, battery & a couple of cables installed, and my Mustang has never started and run so nicely before. Drove it a few times this week, no problem. Yesterday, I drove to a restraunt, parked, turned the key to off and removed key from ignition......and yes, my car was still running. Played with key on/off several times, car still running.
I had to disconnect the negative battery cable to kill engine. What's wrong with my car guys & gals, and how do I fix it?

As always, thanks for your help.

Joe

I've had bad solenoids right out of the box, so don't hesitate to change it. I recently had a similar problem, ended up being my ignition switch.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hahahaha wowww.... i feel your pain. I have a thread on it man. Its your starter getting stuck, nothing to do with ignition, its your starter, i replaced it and problem solved

·
Registered
964 Posts
99 percent chance it is the starter solenoid, replace it they are cheap, which is actually part of the problem, lol.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Solenoid is a good chance of being the problem. But I always like to verify everything. Pull the small wires off solenoid when it does it. If engine continues to run, next bet would be ignition switch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts