Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my mustang to the dyno shop today and I am wondering if its really worth trying to beef it up?

1st run @ 96.21 degrees, 29.08 in-Hg.,Humidity 40%, SAE:1.05
216.75 max rwh power
249.81 max torque

2nd run @ 93.60 degrees, 29.08 in-Hg.,Humidity 42%, SAE:1.05
223.37 max rwh power
254.24 max torque

3rd run @ 94.89 degrees, 29.08 in-Hg.,Humidity 38%, SAE:1.05
227.07 max rwh power
262.34 max torque

Im really disappointed with these numbers even with my 02 gt being stock
What do you guys think? Is it worth trying to mod it?

·
Registered
154 Posts
What kind of numbers were you expecting out of a car that makes 260fwhp?Personally, I think that those are pretty decent stock numbers. I think you are going to have a unanimous yes to modding the car. I mean, that's kinda why we are all here.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
yep yep mod mod mod =)
Cold Air Intake
Catback Exhaust
Gears
etc
get them =)
remember as some one here said once.... dyno numbers mean crap its who you smoke around town or at the track that counts.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Yeah man, those are some decent numbers for a bone stock car. Opening up the exhaust and intake will be well worth it. I've spent about $1400 in mods for mine, including exhaust install cuz I'm a wuss and paid someone for that. I think mods are really worth it.

G

·
dallas02GT said:
I took my mustang to the dyno shop today and I am wondering if its really worth trying to beef it up?

1st run @ 96.21 degrees, 29.08 in-Hg.,Humidity 40%, SAE:1.05
216.75 max rwh power
249.81 max torque

2nd run @ 93.60 degrees, 29.08 in-Hg.,Humidity 42%, SAE:1.05
223.37 max rwh power
254.24 max torque

3rd run @ 94.89 degrees, 29.08 in-Hg.,Humidity 38%, SAE:1.05
227.07 max rwh power
262.34 max torque

Im really disappointed with these numbers even with my 02 gt being stock
What do you guys think? Is it worth trying to mod it?
This automatic or 5 speed? If its an automatic it sounds dead on. My numbers were 198/268 but that was before PI intake and tune. I should be around 220/270 now and that would put me in the power range as you, which seems correct. If u have an auto i think your car is perfectly fine! Yes let the modding begin..least u didnt have to add all in my sig to make as much power as you do stock! lol

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mbhmustang1998 said:
This automatic or 5 speed? If its an automatic it sounds dead on. My numbers were 198/268 but that was before PI intake and tune. I should be around 220/270 now and that would put me in the power range as you, which seems correct. If u have an auto i think your car is perfectly fine! Yes let the modding begin..least u didnt have to add all in my sig to make as much power as you do stock! lol
It is a 5 speed. I just thought the numbers would be higher then that.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
My mods have cost me under 1000 right now and i have doen it my self...
My Cold Air Intake from ebay 65
My BBK O/R Xpipe was 90 on ebay
My Shifter was 189.99 from mustang tuning (10 bucks more for shift knob)
My Diablo Sport Predator was 299 from foxperformance
My car came with flowmaster cat back but that runs on average online new for 400 bucks

With these mods i ran 13.9 with a not so good take off....

Next mods are gears they will be about 400bucks out the door.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
227 + 15 % drivetrain loss = 261 fwhp. 262 + 15 % drivetrain loss = 301 lb ft tq at flywheel. The numbers look good to me considering the heat that day. I say throw the check book at it and hold on. CAI, mid pipe, gears, tuner or dyno tune...

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Sorry, I just did the math instead of tryin to figure it out in my head. I've only got $1100 in mods, not counting the 2 trips to the dyno to see if it was doing any good. Let's say that my car was making the same power as yours when it was stock. I dyno'd at 242 and 281. That's 15 hp and 19 ft-lbs more than you're making. At $1100 in mods, that's $73/rwhp and %58/ft-lb. Not too incredibly expensive when you figure I did this over an 8 month span. Couple hundred bucks every three months or so. It's about to get a little more expensive though. Next thing I want (besides wheels and a tuner) is either a P51 or Reichart intake and/or new cams.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I agree mine is pretty much stock I dont think your going to get thoughs really high numbers until you throw a really high dollar bill out ther (no pun intended dollar bill)
My numbers are 231.5 rwhp and 280.5 rwtq gotto throw in that .5 lol

·
Registered
736 Posts
Stock your car should make 221rwhp/255rwtq, so your 6rwhp/7rwtq above the factory rating at 15% driveline loss. Sounds good to me. Let the modding begin.

·
Registered
37 Posts
mbhmustang1998 said:

:rolleyes: I'd hate to see what my almost stock '96er would put down. I still drive her like I stole her, regardless (I think the exhaust helps mentally). I've grown tired of no power and am working on a N/A buildup. Hoping for 325'ish before Intake and LT's.

Anyway, I think those numbers are on par with a stock 5 spd. I wish I'd had those all along, but I bought my car new in 1996, and the fwph rating was 215!!!

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Millzey96GT said:
:rolleyes: I'd hate to see what my almost stock '96er would put down. I still drive her like I stole her, regardless (I think the exhaust helps mentally). I've grown tired of no power and am working on a N/A buildup. Hoping for 325'ish before Intake and LT's.

Anyway, I think those numbers are on par with a stock 5 spd. I wish I'd had those all along, but I bought my car new in 1996, and the fwph rating was 215!!!

Man it's gonna be really hard gettin 325 with a stock NPI intake on there. However once you get the intake swapped, 375 or so shouldn't be hard to get depending on how big the cams are.

·
Registered
37 Posts
BlueStreak03 said:
Man it's gonna be really hard gettin 325 with a stock NPI intake on there. However once you get the intake swapped, 375 or so shouldn't be hard to get depending on how big the cams are.

Got a PI intake... I meant another intake. The HPS intake will be done soon (which is a PI replicated in aluminum, but it can be ported). My cams are custom Comps, for my setup and should do nicely :evillol:

G

·
Millzey96GT said:
Got a PI intake... I meant another intake. The HPS intake will be done soon (which is a PI replicated in aluminum, but it can be ported). My cams are custom Comps, for my setup and should do nicely :evillol:

Really? Got any info on this intake? Links etc? I am curious. I hope its way cheaper in price then then all the others!

·
Registered
37 Posts
mbhmustang1998 said:
Really? Got any info on this intake? Links etc? I am curious. I hope its way cheaper in price then then all the others!
Check here: www.hiperformancesolutions.com

It does have a removable lower portion for porting, and has the cooling mod built in. Should be a nice solution, and certainly costs less than the P51 and other offerings. HPS has been working on this for a while, and it IS NOT VAPORWARE. BBK was working on one, but it has not even shown up on their site. I will be trying to setup a group purchase for HPS on one or more of the forums.

I can't wait for it to be available! :drool: Until then, I guess it's PI intake. I am just not going to pay $1500 for a 15hp boost on a N/A motor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.