Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I bought some exhaust thinking it would make my car sound like a V8 (It was the Borla Stainless Steel Cat-Back™ System) But once I fired it up and reved it I was pretty Dissapointed with the sound. Some one suggested to me that I get some X-pipe or H-Pipe........But they only bolt up to dual exhaust setups (meaning instead of having two pipes to connect to mine only has one)...........so my question was is there any way i can get X-pipe or H-pipe or any mid-pipe for that matter to make my car sound better with the cat-back system i have on it now? I was also thinking there might be an adapter but then i am not sure if i can get both headers and mid-pipe (might as well get my exhaust finished right away) Any suggestions??

Thanks Mike

P.S. If you don't know what I am talking about when I say my exhaust doesn't have 2 seperate pipes to connect to just look at this site and u should see what I am talking about.

http://borla.com/applications/lookup.aspx/2000/Ford/Mustang/Stainless_Steel_Cat-Back_System/14878/

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
No matter what you do, you can't make a V6 sound like a V8. Borla makes some of the best exhaust stuff in the business so enjoy what you have.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
98V65speed said:
Ok so I bought some exhaust thinking it would make my car sound like a V8 (It was the Borla Stainless Steel Cat-Back™ System) But once I fired it up and reved it I was pretty Dissapointed with the sound. Some one suggested to me that I get some X-pipe or H-Pipe........But they only bolt up to dual exhaust setups (meaning instead of having two pipes to connect to mine only has one)...........so my question was is there any way i can get X-pipe or H-pipe or any mid-pipe for that matter to make my car sound better with the cat-back system i have on it now? I was also thinking there might be an adapter but then i am not sure if i can get both headers and mid-pipe (might as well get my exhaust finished right away) Any suggestions??

Thanks Mike

P.S. If you don't know what I am talking about when I say my exhaust doesn't have 2 seperate pipes to connect to just look at this site and u should see what I am talking about.

http://borla.com/applications/lookup.aspx/2000/Ford/Mustang/Stainless_Steel_Cat-Back_System/14878/

All they have to do is cut the y-pipe and install the h-x-pipe.

Don't forget it takes some time for the muffler to break in. Lot's of people complain teh 1st week or so, and a week later come back and say, "It just broke in, it sounds great."

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright I will just cut the y off then....................If I do that and get X-pipe with long tube headers will there be any issues with length? (not so much beeing too long cuz u can always just cut some off, but i was thinking more like being too short?

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
98V65speed said:
Alright I will just cut the y off then....................If I do that and get X-pipe with long tube headers will there be any issues with length? (not so much beeing too long cuz u can always just cut some off, but i was thinking more like being too short?
No, if you go long tube, you have to get the specific h-pipe from MAC, it doesn't affect the cat-back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
cut the y pipe and just run back 2 strait pipes with dumps- it will sound closest to a v8 u can make ur car sound. ( if you dont cut the y pipe and just take off the muffler then it will have a rice sound, if u cut the y, take off the muffs and run back 2 pipes with dumps it will sound like a v8.. it sounds really nice. you just gotta find a buddy to do inspections.. and lay low around a cop

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kscoyote said:
No, if you go long tube, you have to get the specific h-pipe from MAC, it doesn't affect the cat-back.

So if I get long tubes (Do they have to be MAC to go with the MAC H-pipe? Is that the only Company that makes headers and midpipe that fit the 2000 V6's?) Will that be the closest thing to V8 sound? What are dumps? If dumps are mufflers im not going to cut my mufflers off my borla system. the only thing i want to modify now is the y pipe on my cat-back so i can get some midpipe (by the way can you just get midpipe or do you have to get headers to go with it? and if you can just get midpipe would you recommend headers to go with it?)

·
Registered
11,433 Posts

·
Registered
11,433 Posts

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.