Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this is my first post and I guess you can say I am now in the mustang family, I am a 15 years old and today I had a sweet ride sitting in my Grandparents backyard! A 2008 Mustang GT silver with black stripes, BUT! It is a project car! Has no engine or transmission, basically nothing except body and interior, anyway, I'm having a 4.0l V6 Engine from an 2005 Mustang V6 mustang out in it(V8 is high in gas and a bit much power, so 210 will do!) Is there anything that I need to watch for when rebuilding this car? Anything in particular that needs to be perfectly installed or setup? If so please give me advice, this is my first car and first project car! And its my 68 year old grandpas first project to(Btw, I'm paying him half for the entire cost, which is $6000 total) I owe him $3k, so don't say I'm a kid who got a new car, cause it needs a ton of work, all the electrical and motor any everything. Anyway, thats it! Please give some advice, any is good enough for me! :bounce2:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nice man. I'm 16 and I just picked up an old '92 lx 5.0 fox body. I bought it for 2,000; and I had it looked over by my uncles friend, whos a bit of a mustang expert. It still needs a lot of work but hey, thats still a good price.

are you planning on rebuilding the engine, or are you just dropping it in right away? does it have a trans with it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice man. I'm 16 and I just picked up an old '92 lx 5.0 fox body. I bought it for 2,000; and I had it looked over by my uncles friend, whos a bit of a mustang expert. It still needs a lot of work but hey, thats still a good price.

are you planning on rebuilding the engine, or are you just dropping it in right away? does it have a trans with it?
Right away, and no it doesn't have a transmission, but its still a cool car, and has lots of potential, it has 1994-2004 V6 rims/wheels? Its kinda odd, but interesting, and it kinda renders eleanor!

·
Registered
33 Posts
sounds good. Make sure you get a good transmission though, that can truly make or break your ride. What I'm doing with mine is a possible top end rebuild..

The only advice I can really give you is make sure you have a source that knows what they're doing. Thats good for 2 things; firstly, they can help you with installing any fuel lines/brake lines/motor mounts etc. for a great price, or even for free. Also, just from looking at my own mustang, people who are new to restorations can f&%# up a lotta stuff, myself included. I think it would be important to confirm exactly what your doing with someone experienced, and update them on your progress and what your next steps are. Thats what I'm doing anyways, good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds good. Make sure you get a good transmission though, that can truly make or break your ride. What I'm doing with mine is a possible top end rebuild..

The only advice I can really give you is make sure you have a source that knows what they're doing. Thats good for 2 things; firstly, they can help you with installing any fuel lines/brake lines/motor mounts etc. for a great price, or even for free. Also, just from looking at my own mustang, people who are new to restorations can f&%# up a lotta stuff, myself included. I think it would be important to confirm exactly what your doing with someone experienced, and update them on your progress and what your next steps are. Thats what I'm doing anyways, good luck
Haha, alright! This will be challenging though.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Go to the junk yard and yet a v8 in it. You will regret it later trust me. Or find a rebuilt one or anything.. Just don't swap a v6 into a GT :nono:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Go to the junk yard and yet a v8 in it. You will regret it later trust me. Or find a rebuilt one or anything.. Just don't swap a v6 into a GT :nono:
Agreed. Not only that but everything in the car is set up for a v8 so it's probably all gona be different then a v6. From motor mounts, fuel lines, wires ect. To me it seems it would be easier to put a v8 back in it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i would but I don't really have a choice, plus a v8 is too much for me at 15, building a car is to much haha, I found a v6 from a 2005 with less than 50,000miles on it and the transmission to! I'd love to have a V8 but it won't happen probably, besides I have a 2008 Mustang for a first car, thats pretty awesome compared to most kids and I'm not a spoiled little brat kid, I actually am doing most of the work on it, and what do i need to replace to make it okay for the V6? Or what do I need to make sure to do?

·
Registered
299 Posts
I agree with the others, put an 8 back in it.

If its the power of the v8 that concerns you or more likely your parents, just know this..

After you put your money, blood, sweat, and tears into rebuilding the car, you'll respect it.

I know I did when I was 16 with my 1991 GT. I have more money into that car than I should have ever spent, and not one bolt hasn't been turned on the car. For that reason I respect it.

Plus as others mentioned, it would be more difficult to try to swap a 6 into it when its meant for an 8

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree with the others, put an 8 back in it.

If its the power of the v8 that concerns you or more likely your parents, just know this..

After you put your money, blood, sweat, and tears into rebuilding the car, you'll respect it.

I know I did when I was 16 with my 1991 GT. I have more money into that car than I should have ever spent, and not one bolt hasn't been turned on the car. For that reason I respect it.

Plus as others mentioned, it would be more difficult to try to swap a 6 into it when its meant for an 8
I see your point, what V8 would fit in a 2005-2009 mustang gt? any? F-150? Bronco? I can't find a 4.6l V8 for it, also could I use older models engines in it?

·
Registered
299 Posts
I can't help you much more than telling you a 4.6 belongs. Try asking in the 2005+ section I'm sure someone could help you out there (right now were in the 5.0 section)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts