Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I was reading this forum last night and got inspired...If anyone reads the power adders forum I have been installing a Paxton s/c on my otherwise stock 90' 5.0 convertible...So reading all these kill stories was intoxicating...I couldn't stop....Now I have never been one to race but I wanted to feel what these stories were describing...Little did I know I would get my chance today...So I'm out just driving around today kind of looking for a race you know....Anyway my car has some detonation issues with the s/c, first gear seems to be fine but when the aod shifts into second at about 3k rpm's there is big detonation so I have to be careful...With that said here is the story...So I pull up to a light and here this loud as vehicle pull up beside me to my right...Blasting music and stuff...I look over and it is a modded jeep wrangler or something...Anyway the guy in it was a real tool or it seemed that way with his beanie pulled down and lean going on and stuff...Anyway I didn't think anything of it b/c why would this guy want to race right...I mean it is a jeep...So I didn't pay any attention...But then I notice he is rolling up like he wants to give it a go on green...I then notice all the suspension **** he has under the wheel weels and all the go fast stickers in the window like K&N, B&N etc. etc...So I think well hell maybe he has got his jeep modded to desert race or some **** but anyway I think hahahah...I'll just smack this guys ass a little bit...Ok so in my mind you have to understand that I know my car is not tuned and with the high mileage I'm scared I might blow something under boost so I have to be careful how I drive the car...Not like I can just floor it at green like a should be able too....Anyway the light turns green and the dude is like a car length and a half in front of me before I even knew the damn light was green...I know I know...Pathetic!...I have the reaction time of a 90 year old grandmother...Anyway by the time I gently roll on the gas to avoid putting all the power to my old tranny he is no 2 car lengths ahead and flooring the **** out of it...I almost just didn't do it but then I though no way can I let this guy think he has my car in a f'in jeep....So as I come on with the power smoothly and get to where my car is producing boost (about 2.5k rpms or so) I get pushed back against the seat...Now at this time I would say he is every bit of two maybe 3 lengths in front of me (this all happened very fast b/c I suk at it)...Well instantly I reel his ass in and put at least a lenghth maybe a length and a half on him...It was like he was standing still, and I am still no where near wot b/c I can't at this point b/c of the detonation...Well as I go into second gear I put at least another length on him I would guess before my car starts detonating to all hell and I just let off completely...However I had so much momentum on him and we were coming to a curve, he never had a chance to reel me in anymore even though I was completely off the gas...Bottom line?...Well I think it is great that I over came his ass and put a real ass wipin on him despite the fact of how bad I got off the line....I mean this dude was on it from a millisecond....With that said I am pissed b/c If I was able to floor my car, and got the damn jump at the light within 2 seconds he would have been a dot in my mirror instead of someone I had to reel in first...Also it was a f'in jeep, I mean if it was a vette or something ok, but to get jumped out of the light like that by a jeep I think I need to have my ass kicked...Anyway...If I ever get the detonation worked out this car will be a beast, but until then I think I'm done racing b/c If I don't get ahead in first, i'm SOL in second...Anyway I guess i'm glad I showed him up, especially b/c he has to know coming from almost 3 car lenths behind to over 2 in front of him almost like he was standing still shows that I have the car I guess just no damn skills :) ...Anyway tell me what you all think...I am thinking of going with a SNOW alcohol/water injection to fix the detonation as I have removed a good amount of timing and don't want to really go any more...

Jason

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Good kill. Was the jeep a V8? He probably had alot of gear. I guess the jeep scene is cooler than the ricer scene...

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Now, you give lots of excues as to why you won by so little.....

Good job!

I hate Jeeps, almost as much as GM's. The only good jeep is a dead jeep!

·
Registered
102 Posts
good kill Jason! any kill is a good kill. hey man, have you tried cleaning your mass air meter yet? carb cleaner or preferrably contact cleaner will clean that thing a little. also, check for a boost leak. something's wrong there but we can fix it. I had similar problems when I installed mine

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Clint,
I sent you a bunch of emails on this stuff you just haven't been able to get them yet...I think one also includes a link to this post too...Anyway I haven't cleaned the MAF but I have inspected it and it looked good to me...But could it still use a cleaning???...Also I have been doing a lot of research and everything says that if I didn't have a problem with detonation before (which I didn't) than it is more than likely a lean fuel/air mixture which makes sense...I still have not got an adjustable fuel pressure regulator or a fuel pressure gauge...These are two things I HAVE TO GET SOON...That will tell me what's going on...I really feel that sense all my stuff is stock and has almost 150K miles on it, they probably are not in the best shape, including but not limited to fuel injectors/fuel pump/filter/rail/regulator/etc....I need to do what you and Doug said with the adj. fuel press. reg. and see how that goes first I think....Also I read that if I had the fuel lines crossed into the FMU it would cause the FMU to run wide open do to fuel pressure, which means I would be running w/o an FMU at all...Do you think this could have happened...I mean the lines are hooked up the way Paxton said but who knows...Don't you think if my FMU wasn't working at all I'd have a lot more detonation than just when it hits second gear??????....Let me know...

Jason

·
Registered
102 Posts
with the amount of boost you are running, the 19lb injectors with a 10:1 ratio FMU should be sufficient but the fuel pump could be an issue. if you're planning on doing alot more mods, you might want to consider a 255lph pump. you'd be better off with the pump, regulator, and get some 36lb injectors and ditch that FMU.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey you said in your earlier post that you experienced similar problems at first when you installed your s/c...What was going on????..How did you fix it???

·
Registered
102 Posts
my problem was a dirty mass air meter and I had a timing issue. your timing should be fine where it is. may wanna clean that meter though. did you get my pm?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sorry for being a complete noob, but what does he mean by "detonation" at 3K RPMs? Is he getting a premature (mis-timed) combustion in the cylinder, or is the combustion producing more energy than is normally acceptable?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I mean that b/c of some condition (lean fuel mixture, excessive heat, etc.) my air/fuel mixture is being ignited on multiple fronts, not just by the spark plug, this causes the mixture to "crash" into itself putting a lot of pressure on my cylinders...This detonation is evidenced by a "pinging" sound at around that rpm in second gear...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Geesh JEB. How do you really feel??

JEB said:
Now, you give lots of excues as to why you won by so little.....

Good job!

I hate Jeeps, almost as much as GM's. The only good jeep is a dead jeep!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.