Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was my first time ever racing at a raceway. I wanted to find out what my car, and myself was capable of before doing any more work to it.
I started off my first two runs running 14.7's @ 95mph. I wasn't happy with those and was determined to do better. I had one run where my right tire slipped and I did a 1/8 mile burnout and ran a 17.264. I am happy to say though that after those 3 runs, I caught on pretty well and ended up running several 14.3's with a best E/T of 14.356 @ 96.75 mph with a .239 R/T and a 2.227 60'. My best R/T of the night was a .206. It was a good night and I was able to get seven runs in 3 hours.
I'm interested in any feedback you guys may have.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know i sound like a broken record....

But you need to work on your 60' time.....

you have some traction issues but i'm sure you realize that.....

at this time R/T should not be a concern that will come with more seat time.....

overall you didn't have a bad night.....:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
616 Posts
If your using street tires:
Drive around the water box, don't do a burn out, pre-stage and stage.
Keep your rpms low on your launch, about as high as 2000 rpms.
(Is this a manual trans or auto?)
Find out where your car makes it's peak horse power and shift about 400 rpms past that. That way your staying right in the power band. (On my car the peak hp is at 5100 and I shift at 5500)
To get a good reaction time, leave on the last yellow light above the green.
Are you planning on bracket racing or just seeing how fast you can go?
Good luck.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Congrats for your first time on track. Not too shaby. Be sure you line up in the grove of the track (flat black area). You may of lined up too far right or left causing your spinning. I take it that your ran at Maple Grove which is a great track. Good job of racing on the track and not the street. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Nothing like the first time.If you had fun and you were safe, it was a great night. I bet you were a little nervous at first?
Well you are no longer a drag racer virgin.:laugh:

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
You'll get better with more seat time. Not a virgin anymore. :gringreen

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know i sound like a broken record....

But you need to work on your 60' time.....

you have some traction issues but i'm sure you realize that.....

at this time R/T should not be a concern that will come with more seat time.....

overall you didn't have a bad night.....:bigthumbsup
Yeah, my 60' could've been better, I spun a little every time. It may be the tires as they are street radials and not the greatest. But, there's next time and hopefully with some mods and a little experience I will improve greatly.
I tried to do everything that I read here on this forum. I must say, I'm glad I read up on here beforehand as it helped me a great deal.
For that, I thank you guys!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats for your first time on track. Not too shaby. Be sure you line up in the grove of the track (flat black area). You may of lined up too far right or left causing your spinning. I take it that your ran at Maple Grove which is a great track. Good job of racing on the track and not the street. :bigthumbsup
That may very well have been the cause of my loss of traction there. I'm pretty sure I was set up a little too far to the right on that run. Yep, the track was Maple Grove. I must say, I have always been impressed with their track and races!

And to 93mustang, thankfully like I said, I read up on here first and knew better than to drive through the water box. However, I did burn the tires a little before the last two runs, and it was in those runs that I got my best times. I don't know if the burnouts actually helped a little, or maybe I was just getting the hang of it. The trans is an auto.

·
Registered
621 Posts
If you have a stick with any reasonable power, radials will be tough to use. A stick hits hard and that shocks the tire, and with stiff sidewalls of a radial they will spin and stay spinning unless you get out of the gas.

I have Nitto's, bought because I listened to suggestions instead of learning how tires work, and my 60 ft times are about the same as yours. They are like driving on water. My car goes 122-124 MPH in the 1/4 so I have tons of power, but the 60 ft times suck.

If you have an auto then a radial will be OK.

If you want a cheap street tire buy a cheap bias ply with very poor tread-wear rating. Get the tallest and widest that will fit.

I'm dumping my new Nitto's and going with a drag bias-ply DOT tire. I'm going to try fitting 28 tall 10 wide tread and 11.2 section width DOT bias plies on my 89 LX. Hopefully they will fit. Tom

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Congrats on your trip.

Just remember "spinning isn't winning".

It's about applying as much power as possible as quickly as possible without breaking the tires loose. Maybe play with your launch technique or get a set of DR's to allow you to apply the power faster.

Either way your 60' says you have more in the car.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Tom just curious what gears are you running......
Still 4.10 Reg.

I just turned the RPM limiter off for now.

Nitto got to go. Eyeing Hooser Quick Time Pro DOT or Mickey Thompson bias DOT drag tires. Hoping a 28x11.50-16 will fit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a question concerning my run at the track. As I mentioned, on one of my passes, my right tire loss traction and I pretty much ended up doing a burnout for 1/8 mile. I thought that the T-Lok (limited slip) was suppose to prevent one wheel from spinning by itself?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a question concerning my run at the track. As I mentioned, on one of my passes, my right tire loss traction and I pretty much ended up doing a burnout for 1/8 mile. I thought that the T-Lok (limited slip) was suppose to prevent one wheel from spinning by itself?
you could have heated up the clutches in the t-lok

cause them to slip or its time to rebuild it......

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
you could have heated up the clutches in the t-lok

cause them to slip or its time to rebuild it......
It only has 50k miles on it. I had only done two burnouts, ever, before that had happened. Is it possible for the right tire to lose traction that much to allow it to spin freely...or is there definitely something wrong with the T-Lok?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
It only has 50k miles on it. I had only done two burnouts, ever, before that had happened. Is it possible for the right tire to lose traction that much to allow it to spin freely...or is there definitely something wrong with the T-Lok?
I was told to back up a little bit then proceed forward to help keep this from happening. And it seems to work. Or maybe because i trailer my car to the track they dont get as hot as if you drive it?

And Tom, Quick Time Pros are a great tire! I had a set of 28x11.50x15 on my '95 GT and they are great tires. I plan on running them on my '89 LX also. Hope they fit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was told to back up a little bit then proceed forward to help keep this from happening. And it seems to work. Or maybe because i trailer my car to the track they dont get as hot as if you drive it?
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
I'm getting 4.10's installed on Thursday, so I'll have the mechanic inspect everything to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Not bad, I need to go back and get some practice at the track. My first time at the track, I clocked in a night's best 14.5 @ 101mph with a horrible 60ft of 2.6:so I was spinning the wheels way too much. My trap speed shows I should be in the 13's. I averaged over 100mph on all my runs which is a good sign:hihi:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not bad, I need to go back and get some practice at the track. My first time at the track, I clocked in a night's best 14.5 @ 101mph with a horrible 60ft of 2.6:so I was spinning the wheels way too much. My trap speed shows I should be in the 13's. I averaged over 100mph on all my runs which is a good sign:hihi:
Yes, I was very happy with my results. I was asked by my neighbor and a few friends what I expected/wanted to run. I said I'm going to run low 14's, so I did.
Now, after all the mods I did in the past month, I can't wait to go again, but will more than likely wait till the fall when it's cooler and I have the money to buy drag radials and wider rear wheels.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Yes, I was very happy with my results. I was asked by my neighbor and a few friends what I expected/wanted to run. I said I'm going to run low 14's, so I did.
Now, after all the mods I did in the past month, I can't wait to go again, but will more than likely wait till the fall when it's cooler and I have the money to buy drag radials and wider rear wheels.
Whatever you do, dont get nittos drag radials! They are worse than a regular street tire!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.