Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had an a/c delete on my car so i was running just p/s w/p and the alt. well my p/s pulley seized while i was driving and i said screw it popped it out ran to autozone picked up a belt that fit for just the alt. and w/p and it worked for a few days. it started over heating and i changed the thermostat. it was fine again for about a day or 2 and now it gets serious hot. im confused because my friend has his set up the same way and its fine i was thinking maybe the water pump but then why would it be fine driving around for hours on end then just magically go nuts. any help would be great its driving me nuts im about to go electric w/p

·
Registered
304 Posts
it could be the water pump, but why go electric just get a new one.

are you using the tensioner for the new belt or is it just a tight fit. there has to be enough tension to spin the waterpump.

the fan clutch could be bad.

the radiator could be clogged up or the fins not allowing airflow

instead of running to autozone to bypass the powersteering you could have spent the same amount of money and fixed the seized pulley in about the same amount of time.

R

·
0 Posts
it could be the water pump, but why go electric just get a new one.

are you using the tensioner for the new belt or is it just a tight fit. there has to be enough tension to spin the waterpump.

the fan clutch could be bad.

the radiator could be clogged up or the fins not allowing airflow

instead of running to autozone to bypass the powersteering you could have spent the same amount of money and fixed the seized pulley in about the same amount of time.
i couldn't agree more with the above....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea im using the stock tensioner and he belt fits fine. i just changed the fan clutch because that siezed on me to. the only thing is the water pump or the radiator i was guna flush it out and see if that helps but i wana make sure i know or could ge some hints before hand. my last fan smacked into the radiator a litle bit but it never had the overheating problem till i did this setup. and one last thing how could i free up the pulley ive tried a few diff things and it wont budge. thanks for the help so far though.

·
Registered
304 Posts
just pull it off with a puller and install a new one. use alot of pb

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
or maybe even a new powersteering pump?? the last one i got came with a pulley and it was only 45 bucks at autozone....

·
Registered
200 Posts
My car overheats some times too. I assume its because of the thermostat though. When Im driving nice and normal it gets really hot, then if I mash on the gas and get the RPMs up it will get cooler! I think its because of the added pressure from the higher RPMs that forces the thermostat to open up and when Im not revving high it sticks closed!
My car runs at 210 all day long.... I know it should be at 180, but where can I got a 160 thermostat at??

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would just get a good quality brass 180 thermostat and install that. it sounds like your thermostat might be going. When I got my car, it had a 160 in it and it ran too cold, especially in the winter. They're not really recommended. The 180 will keep you at that temp on the highway and around 210 in traffic, which is fine. Just as long as you have enough coolant in the radiator. Try that first, then maybe address the radiator next. I have a 2 row Fluidyne in my car.
Don't switch to a 160. Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.