Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not that way, sickos. :happyhapp

Actually, she gave me a $300 gift certificate to www.mustangsunlimited.com and now I have too many options to choose from!

What would be my best bang for the buck? Just throw out ideas - performance, looks, sound, anything..

Currently have:
96 gt auto -
American Thunder catback
FIPKII

Just things that i've thought of so far: h-pipe (not sure if o/r because I'm not too sure about dealing with the emissions in NJ and taking the risks and stuff), throttle body, a new shifter knob, new steering wheel, something to make my seats look clean again, new jackstands..

Help me out guys!

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
cool thats tight, well in risk of sounding like i am bringing up something form the past, gears are the best bang fro the buck, now its your choice to go with someting like ,373,390,410 etc

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
carguy1985 said:
cool thats tight, well in risk of sounding like i am bringing up something form the past, gears are the best bang fro the buck, now its your choice to go with someting like ,373,390,410 etc
How much does labor on something like that cost to install? The thing is, I have to replace my rear axle because I bent it a few months back. The axle I can do by myself and I have confidence with, but gears I'm not familiar with and I don't feel like messing with backlash and all that. So then the dilemma comes into play of whether or not I'd want to have a mechanic just replace the axle while he's in there and pay the extra cash, or try to do it all myself. If I were to go to 3.73s with FRPP gears, is it true that it's really just like swapping the gears and no lashing is needed? I don't have much money of my own, and paying a shop guy will almost be near impossible for me. SO, if the gears should really be left up to a mechanic since I have no experience or knowledge with gears, I don't think I can go that route.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that I have a full suspension setup so none of that good stuff!

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
well, the best thing would be to when you find a new rear axle it already have 373s or your gear of choice in it, but now speaking more realisticly, cost range from 150-300 for install i got mine for 150 but i know a guy at ford.
http://www.mustangtuning.com/rearend.html

that place has good prices FRPP 373s for 179 and motive gears for 129 for the 373s
all 50dollar + items have free shipping and they have the bearing/install kits you can get from them, my mechanic guy told me it was a good kit ( i bought the master bearing kit with shims etc etc) i would get them install from someone who knows what they are doing, you do need to have a guage to measure backlash and what not and it is tricky, i had to get my 87 K5 blazer redone in the rear axle because it had gear whine really ad due to poor install by the guy who put them in.

anyhow good luck

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
Like others said, get gears. Easily the best bang for your buck. And don't listen to any of this rubbish about 3.73's, pass those up and go right for 4.10's. Feels like your car has a perpetual 75 shot of the nawz:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
283 Posts
4.10 gears ford racing
DONE

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
ummm...why are we talking on a 7 year old thread? odds are he already spent the money, and/or his girlfriend broke up with him on a count of paying too much attention to his car.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
haha, probably had to get rid of the stang for a civic to keep her.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts