Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
building my first motor just want some help

i have a 1991 mustang 5.0 im doing a ground up build i have gt40p heads eagle stock length rods im wondering if any one can help me i want to know what pistons and cams others have used in simular set ups or what people think i should use or if anyone has parts they want to sell this is my first time useing a forum and my firts motor so any help would be great

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
well how strong of a motor do you want?? is it for racing, street/strip/ or just daily driver?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
budget 5.0 build help or parts wanted

im building a motor this is my firts complete build i want a streets strip motor i have a complete 1999 explorer motor with 35k miles i want to use the gt40p heads and the intake but my question is what pistons have people used or think i should use and what cam do you suggest part numbers if possable would be awsome but any help would be great:scratchchin

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
if your wanting to run a stroked crank, definately get forged pistons. pro-power, dss racing summit racing and lots of other can supply a lightweight but strong piston. eagle rods are good. but i would talk to rlg34750 about building your first motor. he has a lot more experiance than i would, regarding piston size, ring gap, deck height and all that stuff. if your going to do a lot of abusive or severe driving, i would strongly recommend getting a windage tray and/or main girdle. you dont want those main caps walking around on ya, or even just have your machine shop turn your block into a 4-bolt main, with the windage tray. im not really to comfortable building high-performance motors myself, im just a beginner too

·
Registered
540 Posts
if your looking for all around strength, i would look into keith black pistons, or if your looking at budget, even sealed power makes a strong piston for a awsome price, study the design and structure of the piston, that will also give you an idea how the piston will perform and hold up, if you looking to Juice the engine, or supercharge, stay away from cast pistons they will not hold up under Nitirous or boost, forged is the way to go and you can get them notched to suit the cam you may want to run

·
Registered
185 Posts
a happy set up

well,,,i think you would be happy with the ford f303 cam with 1.72 scorpion roller rockers,that will give you a .550 @ .50 226 duration,and 24lb injectors,70-75mm tb,190 feul pump,3:73 or 3:55. and it will clear 87-92 stock pistons(forged trw) that i know of,because i ran this already.it'll run like a bat outof hell.and if your in california, just tell smog guy you have the(sucky,feel power from 1200-3800) e303 cam,and you'll pass with 000 emission.good luck

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Are you going to tear the engine down and rebuild it?
With 35K miles, it's definitely not necessary but if it were me I would go through it and check everything out. I'd at least put in new gaskets all the way around. This way you start out fresh.
How much horsepower are you wanting to get?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:D :happydance: :nono:
i have a 1991 mustang gt drop top with a t5 and 4.10 gears im useing a 1999 ford explorer 5.0 with gt40p heads as my starting block i want to do a cam pistons etc i want to make 300 rwhp with out spend a whole lot of money i dont want to cheap out tho i just dont want to spend thousands on a blower or strocker kit any help like what cam i should use what pitons i should use would be great thanks :bigthumbsup :wavey :happyhapp :) :hihi:

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Do a set of good forged pistons...Get a nitrous/blower grind cam...And spray the car a 100-150 shot...AND CALL IT A DAY....lol...You will have over 300rwhp that way for sure and not spend to much money.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
If your shooting for 300HP, I would change the heads to AFR 165's or Twisted Wedge, and get a custom ground cam. That would get you really close. Or since you already have the GT40P heads, you could get them ported. I've heard that ported GT40 heads work really well.
Horsepower is as deep as your pockets... What's your budget?

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
You need airflow, those P heads are ok and any kind of work you can have done to them will help. Just be smart on the cam selection, make sure the heads can support the cam lift.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my last fox had edelbrock heads a very aggesive cams stock lower end long tubes glass packs it made 475rwhp i dont want nothing like that again i wanted to know whartr is possable with what i have now

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.