Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK got my wheels in on Tuesday couldn't get them on Tuesday, Wednesday couldn't get them on, (running doing errands) so finally today I get home for work its hotter than @#LL and I decide to throw them on I get 1 off and on 2 off and on 3 off and on. (the trouble begins) the Key for the locking lug breaks as I am trying to get the 4th wheel off. I get pissed jump up and twist my back. OH MY @#$$$# %$#$$ $##%5 anyway I go to the local shop and they tell me to call the 800 number. needless to say I have to order the key from McGuard Damn it! I calling some local places tomorrow maybe the ford dealership or a lock smith? Any suggestions would be greatly did I say GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!!
Here are a few pics of the drivers side.:weeps

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
You might be able to beat an old socket onto it, but forget geting it back off... and then again it might not work.
Or maybe one of those 5 dollar goator grip sockets with all of the little pins in it that is "supposed" to fit any bolt. i dont know how much torque its good for, but it might be worth a shot.
Last resort maybe call a good towing company or tire shop and see if they have a tool for it. maybe they'd let you drive it to their shop and take it off for a small price..

or maybe a stripped bolt removal socket... the kind that looks like a threaded socket. as you loosen the lug nut it should screw down and grab on to it. if it will fit. I think that is like 20 bucks for the set.
Good luck

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
I've used a 12 point socket that's a hair too small to slide on and beat it on with a hammer many times to remove wheel locks. Just make sure it's either one with a good warranty, or that you can afford not to have it anymore first.

·
Registered
415 Posts

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Yeah, any local parts store should have the lock removal kit, and it does work. Autozone has a loaner program so you don't have to buy it, its pretty expensive. After that, your best bet may be to take all 4 lock lugs off and get a new set, it'd really suck if you get a flat and can't change the tire.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If it comes down to it...

Buy a nut and have it welded on. Be sure to have something available to protect the wheel finish from weld splatter.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Buy a nut and have it welded on. Be sure to have something available to protect the wheel finish from weld splatter.
:happyhapp You are kidding right!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
i knocked all mine off with an air chisel...just wrapped a towel around so as not to scrath the wheels as hit it with the air chisel for a few seconds til it split the lock. then bought new lugs from autozone. worked for me, an old Ford mechanic buddy did it to my 89 taurus (first car) and everything was fine. just cant put a crazy amount of pressure on it cuz im sure theres a small possibility you could snap a stud.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
hey amn, dont worry about it. there were tons of delays getting my car tuned after the procharger. it only makes it more worth it when it's all done.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE: I went everywhere today to find that key and couldn't I call Discount Tire and for 8.00 they removed the lock/lug in about 5 seconds. Got home and threw the last wheel on here are a few pics. 2 things however 1 I will have to lower the car without a doubt!!!! To much wheel well gap above the front tire. and I cant believe the difference in a polished wheel and a chrome wheel. I love them!!! Just in time for the cruise in tomorrow in Garner NC.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
They look really good. It really shows off your painted calipers. :bigthumbsup

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.