Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

First time poster long time lurker.

I received my new MAC mufflers today for my 06 GT and they don't fit. Has anyone else had this problem? The rear hanger on the drivers side is just about an 1" too short and the front hanger will not line up properly. I double checked the box and they are for an 05/06 GT. Should I contact the vendor and have them replaced or have a muffler shop attempt to make them fit properly? I don't mind spending a small amount of cash to have them installed instead of the hassel of sending them back.

One other thing, I didn't check the passenger side because I was too frustrated when the first one didn't fit.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Have you checked the rubber hangers are the right way? Have heard about som coming the wrong way from the factory!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
This is common. No two vehicles are alike. The test vehicle MAC used for fitting is most likely not exactly the same as any "Joe Schmoe's" '05. I have intalled MAC's and SLPs, they both required a little adjustment. The best thing to do is losen the clamps holding the over-axle pipes to the stock H-pipe (just to the rear of the transmission) all the way, then adjust the mufflers and tips to the position you want them, then re-tighten the H-pipe clamps. But make sure the adjustments you make don't pull the over-axle pipes all the way out of the H-pipe. If you do, it's no problem, just stick'em back in. Trust me. I was in your shoes just a few months ago. But after struggling with installing an X-pipe, I figured out how the whole thing fits together. If all else fails, just beat it with a hammer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did reinstall the stock mufflers just to make sure I had the brackets lined up properly. I don't believe the factory rubber hangers are the problem. The metal hanger on the rear of the MAC muffler just isn't long enough and they are not bent in the same directions as the stock ones.

ChestyP79 I will try your suggestion. It's too cold and snowy today but I will be out there as soon as it warms up a few degrees.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes loosening the midpipes at the H-pipe helps. Get a buddy to help you there to rotate and the other person at the rear of the car to see how the muffler aligns. I found a two foot length of 3/4 inch aluminum pipe to be helpful too in bending the hangers 1/4 - 1/2 inch without breaking the welds. All the midpipe adjustments I tried didn't work until I bent the hangers a bit. Then the midpipe adjustment was necessary to help center. This was necessary on both the Magnaflow and JBA mufflers that I installed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts