Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up everybody i'm new to the forum and I'm considering building a 99-04 mustang with 393 Fuel injected motor, I am looking for a convertible v6 to start with and convert the outside appearance to 03-04 cobra, but my i'm trying to keep the entire build under 10k. i have an idea of what i want to to but i'm not sure of how much i can expect to spend. i basically want to have build a healthy 393 motor but still dependable enough to be driven daily if i wanted to, and quick than your average mustang, i dont know alot mechanical about car but i know a little i know i just really know what i want the end result to be, what do you guys think i need and how muc will it cost, remember i'm trying to keep it as a budget build...

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
welcome to the forums!
sounds liek you got a good thing going!

wish i had a newer car and not a frame of a trans am!

and the price dont sound to hateful either!:D

for one u could drive every day id just go 393, with a cam heads n torque converter. thats stout, sound but not killer.

with a 3.55 ring out back

or even a 3.31

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
welcome to the forums!
sounds liek you got a good thing going!

wish i had a newer car and not a frame of a trans am!

and the price dont sound to hateful either!:D

for one u could drive every day id just go 393, with a cam heads n torque converter. thats stout, sound but not killer.

with a 3.55 ring out back

or even a 3.31
thanks man,

this is kind is a close example of what i had in mind YouTube - mustang cobra 393

it wont be a daily driver but i want i dependable enough to be one, also so do you think i could use the AC components from a v6 mustang on this set up? (i just cant imagine a car without AC where i'm from)

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
First of all you'd be better off getting a 94-95 gt convertible and making the conversion to stay anywhere near budget, however, unless you can find the deal of the century a 351w stroker motor alone will cost you the $10K with the intake, headers, cam and all (I know, I'm building one)...at least if you start with the V8 car you can make the swap without changing every piece of the suspension, trans and rear end, that youtube car is VERY expensive, however, they probably sold the stock motor to finance the conversion...unless you are a mechanic and body man, there is no way to do that car for anywhere near $10K from a V6 car, you have no idea how much conversions cost until you do one, unless you have a very big checkbook and income I'd look for a car someone has modified and selling at a discount, not trying to rain on your idea but a wise man learns from his mistakes, a wiser man learns from others mistakes

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
that would be one slick ride
i dont know about that year but my guess would be no. unless you dident break the line on ur AC left it hook up and made a new custom mount, like ive done before

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i also thought about a 5.4 motor from a navigator f150 or something, but some people say it wouldnt be worth it

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First of all you'd be better off getting a 94-95 gt convertible and making the conversion to stay anywhere near budget, however, unless you can find the deal of the century a 351w stroker motor alone will cost you the $10K with the intake, headers, cam and all (I know, I'm building one)...at least if you start with the V8 car you can make the swap without changing every piece of the suspension, trans and rear end, that youtube car is VERY expensive, however, they probably sold the stock motor to finance the conversion...unless you are a mechanic and body man, there is no way to do that car for anywhere near $10K from a V6 car, you have no idea how much conversions cost until you do one, unless you have a very big checkbook and income I'd look for a car someone has modified and selling at a discount, not trying to rain on your idea but a wise man learns from his mistakes, a wiser man learns from others mistakes
i'm not trying to build a drag motor, its a buget build so i was thinking of about using maybe a salvage yard parts and reconditioning whatever i can, what and why do you think it will be 10k just on the motor.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Small blocks are completely different from modulars, the k member, wiring, intake, exhaust, bellhousing, length... The car in that video cost a ton of money to build, $10k wouldn't be near enough, if I had to guess I would near $30k, and that's for a carb motor.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
like i said, i dont know everything about ford engines mechanical, so is it possible to take a 5.4 ford truck motor and putting 393 internals in it and have my desired results?

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
like i said, i dont know everything about ford engines mechanical, so is it possible to take a 5.4 ford truck motor and putting 393 internals in it and have my desired results?
No, that wouldn't work either, there is really no similarity between the two inside mechanically. They are bot internal combustion, have crank, rods, and pistons, but that's where the similarities end. There are stroker kits for modular engines as well, but I don't know of any that are that large, which really is a pity. I've been talking to a few shops about what it would take to build a significantly larger cubic inch modular motor, but nothing significant yet, just food for thought. I've heard a lot of pro's and con's about swapping in the 5.4, not sure it would be worth it when you could just build a 4v engined stroked out to about 5.0 and put on a supercharger, it really dpends on what sort of goals you have in mind, if its just tons of power, there's much easier ways to get it, if it being unique, a swap like that would certainly be, but for costs in the same ballpark you might be able to put in a 426 hemi. Yeah, yeah, I know, this is a ford site, but bar-none the 426 hemi is arguably the most badass engine ever made for a car. Speaking of which, last week at the local car meet I saw a rolls royce with a blown hemi stroker in it. 572ci, with a 12-71 blower, 1500hp before the nitrous (which will probably never get used). It was done magnificently, even though I would never even think of doing that, but it really was done nicely, beautiful hand-tooled leather, hand fabbed tube chassis, etc. It also cost $400,000 to build. I'll post pics of it soon, though the owner said you'll be able to see it on the speed network pretty soon, they already filmed the shoot.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
maybe my expectations for the cost of the motor was too low, but i was thinking maybe going to a salvage yard getting an old 351 for about $300-$400, going and take it get machine reconditioned, and get stroker kit like. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/351C-351-393-408-Cleveland-Engine-Stroker-Kit-Ford-TMD_W0QQitemZ170268647137QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item27a4cd5ee1&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A12|39%3A1|72%3A1171
and start getting it be a good runner

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
That kit won't work, its for a cleveland motor, not the windsor, there are a lot of differences internally. There are plenty of stroker kits for a windsor, and you can go bigger than 393, but building a large stroker isn't cheap. Why not be really original and swap in a 460?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i didn't specify cleveland or windsor, but i was using that link as an example as what my expectations or the engine parts where going to be, but as far as the 460 goes i thought about it but it just seems too big and unnessacary for what my goals for the car are, i'm looking for a good street car,not exactly strip. and the 460 seems like it would be expensive to build plus it would drink gas like no ones business. but the hp potential is a plus but at what cost....

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
For sure, we put a 460 in an 84 4 cyl mustang about 10 years ago, thing ran like a scalded dog, but not really a street car. Fun to drive though.
I'd love to see a fuel injected 351 stroker in a new edge mustang, but it'll be a pita to do.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
dude, if u got 10k to spend and u like the 94-95 body style why not just take a 96-98 GT/Cobra and drop 7k into the motor about 1.2k into a good keisler built tranny and the other 1.8k into stuff like subframe connectors sticky tires springs shocks/struts tighten up that and of course gears come first 3.73s if u go standard *thats the 1.2k for a tranny, if u like to drive a standard better* and u will prolly be about where u wanna be... i wanna do the 5.4 swap but im highly mechanically inclined i do all my own work and my dad can fabricate anything that i need... and i would only do the 5.4 for the torque cuz its not a HP motor... i vote u build one NASTY 4.6 and call it a day...:bigthumbsup

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.