Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, I have a 2003 mustang gt 5 speed, ive got a few things done to it. I have cold air intake, 70mm throttle body, 75mm plenum, Rally coil on plugs, 4.10 gear ratio, superchips tuner, and I just put on a replacement Dorman intake manifold. My problem is I have raced this other mustang (2001 I believe) its an automatic and all he has done to it is 4.10 gear ratio, underdrive pulleys, and a SCT tuner, he beats me everytime at the very end of an 1/8 mile, I figured since I had a little more mods on mine then his I should at least have the advantage. only thing I can think of is, the underdrive pulleys make a bigger difference, or is SCT tuner that much better than superchips? any answers will be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
It mot likely has to do with that Dorman Intake. Junk it and buy an FRPP PI replacement.

The SCT tuner would give more gains that the superchips you have but i think its that Dorman Intake you have...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks JonR2006 yeah, I had a lot of thoughts that that might've been the problem, ive read in a few places that the dorman intake is more restrictive than the stock intake, I didn't wanna go with the dorman but its all i could afford at the moment, so ill be sure to upgrade it when I can. it just really lit a fire inside of me when I kept trying to race the guy all night thinking I shuld be able to take him and when we finally raced he beat me haha.

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
I agree with JonR, it's mostly your intake but the other guy also has an edge with the tuner.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I think that settles it, ill be looking around for a new intake manifold, I just wish I could afford it haha, o well ill do it eventually thanks!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Better get a new tuner too.... the words "spark-knock" are coming to mind right about now....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thetallone , spark knock? what do you mean, like because of my tuner?

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Holllllld the phone. Are you spinning on the launch?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i spin a tad on the launch, ive gotton decent on it for street tires, I spun a little more in second, but I was stayin with him through the beginning.... it wasn't but like the last 100 feet or so he started pulling away, and I know it isn't turbo,supercharged, or nos haha

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm sorry to say this but this sounds like a driver mod needs to be done. With cars so similar it's really a drivers race. Get some practice :). Also how're your tires? What about PSI? make some adjustments there and see how it helps.

Your car IS faster than his assuming your engine isn't worn out or your mods were done incorrectly. An automatic should not be beating you, so either your engines worn out, your mods aren't done correctly (check tune?) or it's a driver mod.

Auto's are very easy to launch, that is probably the key. Manual is faster but auto's get torque multiplication from the get go and easy launches so the driver of the manual really has to be at the top of his game.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
post your Slip that way we can see your 60, 330 and your trap. That will show what your giving up on the luanch. You might be being beat at the end but you might be able to make up for it at launch.

JD

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
i spin a tad on the launch, ive gotton decent on it for street tires, I spun a little more in second, but I was stayin with him through the beginning.... it wasn't but like the last 100 feet or so he started pulling away, and I know it isn't turbo,supercharged, or nos haha
I bet tires & suspension will change the outcome of this race.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sorry havent been on for a while, i forgot my password haha, anyways, i dont have the time slip from that time but i have one that was very close to the same time i ran, i dont spin alot in first but it normally breaks loose in second. but heres the times, my reaction this particular time was horrible, they are normally alot better. by the way its in the 1/8
Reaction: 1.2170
60ft:2.2230
330ft:6.0349
ET:9.18 @ 78
thats was back when i had stock clutch and 3.27 gears, now have 4.10 gears and stage 2 spec, but havent gotton a time slip since ive had the new gears and clutch

1 - 15 of 15 Posts