Ford Mustang Forum banner

does your 2011 - 2014 mustang make this sound?

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am new here, but no stranger to turning a wrench. I mostly work on my motorcycles, but I also work on my own cars. So I have an idea what this is, but I will not sway you with my opinion.

I took the video while it was 30 degrees outside. it makes the noise most frequently when i first start the car and release the clutch. if it is cold, it is worse.

I took it into the dealer and they kept it for a week and then gave it back saying they reproduced the sound but ford hotline said it was a normal characteristic of the transmission.....I am upset by this response, because if it is normal to sound like this, it must not be a good design...

listen to the mp3 file and tell me if your car does this and what I should do next.

thanks,

Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
750 Posts
Can't play or download it. I checked NO because I have not noticed any funny noises from my clutch.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my 2014 mustang clutch - transmission noise - YouTube
here is the same sound on youtube, I could not get the native uploader of this forum to work for some reason.

my 2014 mustang clutch - transmission noise - YouTube

Please listen to the link and let me know.facepalm2.gif

Keep in mind, FORD told my dealers tech this is a normal characteristic of this transmission...ummm, ok.

I wish I could go back to the first post and put this link there, I fear most people will try the bad link and move on and not read down here where the good link is. Oh well. thanks for looking.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I picked up my new one last week. I do not have that noise. Sorry about that, it must be very annoying and I'm sure it's louder in person.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
That's not normal and your dealer is avoiding the problem. Bet their cars on the lot don't make that noise. Find a different dealer and fast.goodluck.gif

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
idk about the bearing but that ain't normal as mentioned find another dealer. The wtty is from Ford not where you bought it. If that does not work search this site for Deysha (FordCustServ is screen name) she should be able to light a fire under your dealers _____. I would go to another dealer as this one ain't good.

G

·
Hi,
I am new here, but no stranger to turning a wrench. I mostly work on my motorcycles, but I also work on my own cars. So I have an idea what this is, but I will not sway you with my opinion.

I took the video while it was 30 degrees outside. it makes the noise most frequently when i first start the car and release the clutch. if it is cold, it is worse.

I took it into the dealer and they kept it for a week and then gave it back saying they reproduced the sound but ford hotline said it was a normal characteristic of the transmission.....I am upset by this response, because if it is normal to sound like this, it must not be a good design...
Hello mnewbill,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service and I’d like to get this reviewed for you. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha

·
Registered
750 Posts
I had a car that made the same sound. Turned out that there was contact between the throw-out bearing and the pressure plate with the clutch released when there shouldn't have been. The mechanic fixed it in about 5 minutes by adjusting the push rod for the slave cylinder, backing it out, until the noise stopped. That car had a treaded pushrod on slave cylinder that was external to the bell housing, I'm not yet familiar enough with the mustang's set up to know if something similar can be done?

Does the clutch pedal return full to it's stop? What happens to the sound if you put your toe under the pedal and lift it slightly?

·
Registered
750 Posts
I had a different car (Toyota) that made exactly the same noise. In my case it turned out to be the throw-out bearing remaining in light contact with the pressure plate spring when the clutch pedal was fully released. Just like yours, the moment I pressed the pedal it stopped. The contact was just light enough for the pressure plate spring to scrape against the throw out bearing without spinning it. The mechanic fixed it in about 5 minutes by backing out the adjustable slave cylinder push rod until the noise stopped. Don't know if the same fix can be applied to the Mustang as I'm not yet familiar with how it's set up.

Couple of questions:
1. Does the pedal return all the way to it's upward stop when released?
2. If not what happens to the noise if you lift the pedal slightly with your toe under it?

Sorry about the double post, I thought the first one had failed and now can't figure out how to delete!

·
Registered
102 Posts
It's amazing to me that ANYBODY would think that is a normal characteristic of the transmission. Come on...that's crazy. If I were in your shoes I'd be inclined to get a hold of the service manager and rip him a new one. Better choice would probably be to find another dealer.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not normal at all. Your throwout bearing is taking a beating. Ford should take care of you on this one. I'd be looking for another dealership.

·
Premium Member
6,027 Posts
NO WAY is that normal. Neither of my manual 5.0's make a noise anywhere remotely close to that!!!

Send Deysha a PM that contains your name, daytime phone number, and your dealers name, and a description of your problem (the You Tube link says it ALL) and have her escalate this for you.

She can be reached here: Ford Mustang Forums - View Profile: FordService

1 - 20 of 83 Posts