Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup all i just bought a 1988 5.0 lx, the price was sweet but there is one thing about it i am not lovin... It is an auto. i was wondering if anyone knows anything about doing a transmission swap on these years. Stuff like the price would be great. Also if anyone has any horror storys about this type of swap please let me know through the post or e-mail thanks

·
Registered
897 Posts
pretty much a straight up swap over to stick,plenty of info on this site for that.do a search

·
Registered
9 Posts
Depending on how much power your shooting for and $$$ you have to spend. I've seen several sites that offer a much stronger T-56 trans that will mount up to the 302's.
I am not a fan of the T5's since they are weak. The nissan guys shred them on as little as 250hp in '79-'83 280ZX and '84-'86 300ZX. Just my .02

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
I would look at upgrading to a better Tremec offering like a TKO or 3550. Those arent as expensive as the T56 cheezmonta mentioned, but they are still 5 speed.

You basically
-Swap the pedal assembly over, 4 nuts hold it. The top ones are a major pain.
-I would change the clutch quadrant to a metal design offered by several places like Steeda. The plastic stock version can break easily.
-Plug in the clutch switch that is inside the dash up top into where there is a plug now
-Relocate the speedometer cable into the top hole above where it previously was in the firewall. There is a rubber grommet there now.
-Insert the clutch cable through where the gas pedal was going through.
-Route the clutch cable to go under header area and bolt the bracket to the frame.

Aside from that you need all the manual transmission parts (flywheel, clutch kit, replace the pilot bearing and rear main seal while you are there).

I know im missing something.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
whats wrong with your auto? why you want to swap so bad? personally, id take my auto over a 5 speed anyday. ive done the 5 speed thing, driving becomes too much work if you ask me. drive the car for a while, enjoy it, and get to know it. THEN, if you still hate it, make the change. also, if you drive it for a while without upgrading anything at all, youll be able to fix all the bugs, get the car back to running at stock power, and then youll notice the real differences when you make your upgrades. 5 speed is fun man, but if its going to be a street monster, its nice to have that auto for sitting in traffic between redlight rumbles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.